Are BDC scopes needed for the 450BM?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Are BDC scopes needed for the 450BM?

Postby RBDMTJager » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:40 pm

Simply stated does anyone have any data that supports the use of one of the current crop of BDC scopes made specifically for the 450BM for MVs well above factory ammo?
I am very suspect of using one considering my handloads are 250-300fps/mv over most factory 450BM offerings which I am going to assume they designed the BDC scopes reticle around a average MV of 2200fps.
RBDMTJager

Re: Are BDC scopes needed for the 450BM?

Postby coyote wacker » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:02 am

You REALLY are going to only shoot the maximum of 300 yards if using a good bullet and a ethical hunter....450 BM is not a long range cartridge but a lot better than when we had to use slugs....
I can push my CEB 160 gr. Raptor to 3000 fps but it starts to run out of steam real fast past 250 yards....it kills like lighting out to just past 200 yards....I would not take a shot past 300 yards and have passed a coupe trophy bucks.....much rather say I saw and passed then to shoot and possibly cripple or wound a buck.....

This year never saw a buck farther than 70 yards in a field thats over 400 yards long....in years past I've let a few bucks walk at the other end of the field.....
coyote wacker

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:49 pm

I don’t think you need it.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:46 pm

i dont think its a thing you necessarily *need* but if you know your ranges that your hashes apply to... they're useful.

a basic BDC reticle helped my cousin take his first 450bm doe at about 165 yds or so ( i dont recall the exact yardage at the moment but it was about there)... he had only brought a shotty up that year and wanted to hunt one of the main fields instead of his usual spot, so i loaned him my 450. he spotted a doe, sent me the range, i plugged the data into strelok, gave him a reticle hold to use via screenshot, *bang* *flop* high shoulder lights out punch.

sold him on the spot to wanting a 450bm lol
plant_one

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster