Scope Mounts

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Scope Mounts

Postby Siringo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:46 pm

For those looking for inexpensive solid mounts for an AR -- look into the Dura Sight See Thru mounts for Muzzle Loaders. Go to "www.durasight.com". I have purchased a couple sets of these to mount 1 inch scopes on a SW MP15-22, my son's 6.8 and my 223 upper. I bought them for under $30.00 for the set at cabelas. If they are good enough for a hard kicking MZ with a 150 grain charge, they will work on a 450B. While not quite QD, setup right they will slide off after removing the cross bolt screw.

i like them because of the large square hole in the ring under the scope, so I can mount my laser max on the rail and shine thru the hole. Plus, I can use the scope as a carry handle. I could not do that with the Burris PER mounts.

The height of the rings is exactly the same as the standard ultra high or extra high tacticle mounts at 1/3 the price.
Siringo

Re: Scope Mounts

Postby BayouBob » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:54 pm

Are they aluminum or steel?
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Hoot » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:14 am

BayouBob wrote:Are they aluminum or steel?

For that price, my bet would be aluminum.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:29 am

Go to the website. Z2 alloy -- which they claim is twice the strength of conventional aluminum rings. Remember these are used on heavy recoiling sabot muzzle loaders.

I am going to re-scope my 450B this year. IF i choose a 1 inch scope tube -- I will be using these mounts. If I go 30mm, I will find something else --
Siringo

Postby Rutroe » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:39 pm

I still think the best mount I have found for the money has to be the RRA mount. I just got another one for my 450 from Joebob outfitters for $49.99 and the best thing about RRA stuff is that is 100% American made.
Rutroe

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:59 pm

I like that set up! Is that Laser a red or green one?
Whats the cost of that model laser?
I will look into the rings.
I am using old rings right now off of a 30-30.
I have a green laser on my 450 B but it hangs off the side.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Siringo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:45 pm

The laser is from laser max. I had this on my beaver gun (don't ask), and it is so - so (can't see on the water). Red in color. Green was way more expensive and does not work well below 40 degrees. I think I paid about 175 for it. Go to the laser max website. I switch it from gun to gun to play with.
Siringo

Postby BD1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:01 pm

They may be good rings, but the advertising hype is a bit much. Z2 alloy? Give me a break. I haven't happened on that one in the list of registered Aluminum alloys so far. The high Zinc AL alloys aren't noted for strength, Maybe it's got Zirconium in it :)
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby wildcatter » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:23 pm

BD1 wrote:They may be good rings, but the advertising hype is a bit much. Z2 alloy? Give me a break. I haven't happened on that one in the list of registered Aluminum alloys so far. The high Zinc AL alloys aren't noted for strength, Maybe it's got Zirconium in it :)
BD

BD, I think it may be sporting Kryptonite..wink

But then again if it works, who can argue that point, but it's fun to poke a little fun at things, no criticisms intended..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:15 am

Z2, Z3, Z4, etc, I believe are alloys of zinc with antimony in them to reduce their tendency to develop crystalline grain. Remember Matchbox cars, those toy cap guns, etc. Die cast Zinc. Not particularly rugged because they fractured along crystal boundaries. Without the crystalline structure, I can see them having machinability qualities like 6061, but with a greater hardness. Interesting idea.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster