Optics and sights for AR

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Optics and sights for AR

Postby talonxracer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:17 pm

BD1 wrote:Hi MD, and welcome to the site!

Currently the choices are standard A-2 buttstocks, collapsable stocks that may or may not collapse on any given shot, and $250.00 tacti-cool adjustable sniper type stocks with moving parts , bells and whistles.

I've always shot my DCM with the butt stock high in my shoulder "pocket" and my nose right on the charging handle. That hold is a recipe for scope eye, a bloody nose, and a sore shoulder with the .450B

BD

I use the ACE skeleton rifle length stock, it is in my opinion far better than the PRS I tried, any A2 style stock or collapsing stock, especially while deer hunting, it is lighter and far more comfy. The foam over the buffer tube really feels great, and the thick rubber butt pad really soaks up any hard recoil impulses. I use the Nikon Omega scope which has added eye relief so there is absolutely no chance of scope eye at all.
talonxracer

Postby wildcatter » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:33 am

talonxracer wrote:
BD1 wrote:Hi MD, and welcome to the site!

Currently the choices are standard A-2 buttstocks, collapsable stocks that may or may not collapse on any given shot, and $250.00 tacti-cool adjustable sniper type stocks with moving parts , bells and whistles.

I've always shot my DCM with the butt stock high in my shoulder "pocket" and my nose right on the charging handle. That hold is a recipe for scope eye, a bloody nose, and a sore shoulder with the .450B

BD

I use the ACE skeleton rifle length stock, it is in my opinion far better than the PRS I tried, any A2 style stock or collapsing stock, especially while deer hunting, it is lighter and far more comfy. The foam over the buffer tube really feels great, and the thick rubber butt pad really soaks up any hard recoil impulses. I use the Nikon Omega scope which has added eye relief so there is absolutely no chance of scope eye at all.

Hey Racer, is that Omega the one with the BDC, in it, on the cross hairs, and if so what are your personal over-all assessment of it? Do the reticles really match our trajectory or is it close or not too close, ect.? I appreciated your comments about the skeletal stocks, I haven't tried one yet, now I want to..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby talonxracer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:59 pm

Yes my scope is with the BDC and it is very close to the performance of the 450 fodder from Hornady, enough to aim for a heart shot at almost 200 yards and drop the deer. The BDC is setup for the 250grn FTX and 150 grains of pyrodex.
talonxracer

Postby bushmeister » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:06 pm

I've got the Leupold Ultimateslam. I thought I would use the multiple reticle, but I haven't yet.
bushmeister

Postby leroy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:17 am

DFree wrote:I've got a burris 14 xtr with illum. raticle it has aiming points in it out to 1000 yds but there ment for the 5.56 round it sits ontop of a armalite one piece cantilever base like la rue tacticle 1 -4 power 1/2 inch minute of angle clicks at 100 yrds

DFree:-------------
I like the Burris stuff too; and am thinking of getting one myself. Have you tried this little scope at twlight or deep shade? How did it do?
Kind regards,
LEROY
leroy

Postby MADONE64 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:31 pm

My 450b is wearing a 3-10x50 Zeiss Conquest. Mostly because that is what I had that wasnt on anything else. Just took it off a .338 Ultra Mag, so I dont really expect to have any problems with it handling the 450. Maybe a little too much scope, but what the hey. :D
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" Benjamin Franklin
MADONE64

Postby NordicRX8 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:53 am

I finally picked up the Leupold 2x7 Ultimate Slam scope. Only took 5 rounds to get it dialed in at 100 yards. Found out the SaBR reticle on the UltimateSlam was designed for use at 3x. While the Leupold SaBR works well with factory ammo, 100 yard targets at 3x were a slight challenge. Most 5 shot groups were between 1.5 and 2" When the scope is set on its max... group sizes went down (thanks to being able to see the danged targets) to just under 1" I'm happy with this scope... doubt I'll take anything at distances beyond 100 yds, My friend and his pre-teen son are now addicted to the AR platform... they both really enjoyed shooting the Thumper as well as the M4gery I brought along.
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:13 am

nfldraftdog wrote:I have an http://www.aimpoint.com/products/aimpoint_product_lines/aimpoint_9000l Aimpoint 9000L with a Larue LT 104 mount. It works great, super accurate out to about 100 yards or longer if you have better eyes. It has very fast target acquisition and 50,000 hours of battery life.The 9000L was designed for big game/ large caliber guns so it's perfect on the 450 Bushy. The Larue LT104 is rock solid, looks good and easily removable.

sent ya a pm also.

I was looking at a 9000sc, I'm assuming a 2moa dot covers 2" @ 100yds?
Al in Mi

Previous

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster