Optics and sights for AR

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Optics and sights for AR

Postby planensimple » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:08 pm

I'm about to decide on sight and optics options for my Bushmaster, and would like to understand what the group has used. Any thoughts to share?
planensimple

Re: Optics and sights for AR

Postby slash2 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Tough. As in able to handle the recoil. I haven't had much luck with scopes personally, maybe it's just my dumb luck, but I have had problems with a Bushnell that won't hold zero and a Nikon that the focus changes after a few shots. A Barska Tactical is the only one that seemed reliable on my gun, but after having it fog up when I needed it I have fallen back on good 'ol reliable rock solid A2 iron sights. No muss, no fuss, no battery, they are there when you need 'em rain or shine.

But if you're a scope kinda guy, or gal, don't forget one biggy to consider, eye relief.

Last edited by slash2 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
/2
slash2

Postby 17DoubleE » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:16 pm

I'm currently using a Leupold VARI-X III 2.5-8x36mm in low Leupold rings and a 0.5" high Picatinny rail mount that extends over the handguard about 7/8". This seems to work well for me to give a comfortably eye/scope alignment, and lots of eye relief. I've not hunted with this setup yet but the 2.5-8 has been a favorite magnification range for me on other rifles for deer hunting the bluffs of Buffalo county here in Wisconsin.
17DoubleE

Postby gunnut » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:43 pm

I'm using EOTECH's on all 4 of my AR's. They are quick pointing and great out to 100yrds. They are zeroed left to right out of the box, just set elevation. They retain zero as long as you put them back in the same position. I have never shot one loose. I have the same sight picture and function with any gun I pic up, AR10, 450B, CAR15 or AR pistol. I do have an ospray 8x20 for the AR10 should I want to go beyond 100yrds. Had to go with the longest quick release I could find to keep it on. I have tried Back up Iron Sights. So far, None hold up under the heavy recoil of the AR10 or 450B. I do have an A2 carry handle back up for the AR10. They all retain zero provided you put them back exactly where they came from. Keep in mind I'm shooting 200yrds and under normally 100yrds........... Keep Shooting!
gunnut

Postby Siringo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:39 pm

I have a fixed Leupold 4 power. Between the turret and the rear ring I have an old tasco Optima red dot glued onto the tube. I got the mount from JP Enterprises. When looking thru the scope I simply raise my head/eye 1/2" and I have a red dot. This works OK, but the scope's eye piece keeps loosening under recoil. I sandwiched a rubber o-ring between the eye piece and the lock ring and this helps a little. If I were to to this again -- I would get the Nikon muzzleloader scope with the reticles that match the ballistics of the 250 gr.

Slash -- I like your setup!!!!
Siringo

Postby planensimple » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:10 pm

I am considering the Nikon Omega and the Leupold Ultimateslam for optics. I contacted Leupold for some suggestions on the SABR setting of the scope, and they couldn't answer what setting to chose for 450B - seems like they only did R&D on blackpowder and shotgun slugs.

I too am concerned about the recoil effects.

Gunnut, which Eotech do you use?
planensimple

Postby gunnut » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:04 pm

I'm using the Eotech 517-A65 on my 450B and 516-A65 on AR10. Buttons on the side if I want to use the 3X magnifier.
gunnut

Postby MudBug » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:39 pm

I'm running a TrijiconTR21R on mine. I've become a huge fan of the low power variables for hunting out to 200 yards.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby BD1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:56 am

I'm using a leupold 2-7 V-X1 I took off my slug gun for load work up. It's about the right power range for 200 yards and under, and it's guaranteed. So far, so good. the mount is cobbled up out of a 3/4" riser and some cheapo quad mounts for now. I ordered one of the new Burris PEPR mounts, but they're back ordered like so many things currently. Using the standard A2 stock it seems like the line of sight above bore wants to be about 2 1/2" for me. And I definately need to keep my nose back off the charging handle, and my eyebrow back off the scope!

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby planensimple » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:51 pm

OK, just ordered the Trijicon TR21-3, German #4 w/amber dot. I'll keep you posted.
planensimple

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster