Optics and sights for AR

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Optics and sights for AR

Postby BayouBob » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:49 pm

My 450 has a 1.5 - 6 X 40 Pentax on it. I got it mainly for hog hunting in the swamps so mostly I keep it on low power when I'm moving around. So far it has held up fine under recoil. I have a Vortex Strikefire on my Bushmaster Superlight 5.56 and my S & W 5.45 and for the money it is a pretty good red dot.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby BD1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:35 pm

My Burris PEPR mount finally showed up. What an improvement! Rock solid. This thing is very rugged and gives you 2" of forward cantilever which should get just about anything forward of the charging handle.

Now, if someone would just make a "real" stock.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby slash2 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:30 pm

BD1 wrote:My Burris PEPR mount finally showed up. What an improvement! Rock solid. This thing is very rugged and gives you 2" of forward cantilever which should get just about anything forward of the charging handle.

Now, if someone would just make a "real" stock.

BD

Those are nice looking mounts BD!
/2
slash2

Postby MudBug » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:33 pm

when those PEPR pounts were first announced SWFA had them mispriced on their website. I ordered a 1" and a 30mm mount.

SWFA announced that they would honor the price, so I got the 1" for $29 and the 30mm for $39.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby BD1 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:21 pm

Take a look at the Leupold Golden Ring "Ultimate Slam" muzzle loader/shotgun scope. The literature on thier website says it's got a ballistic range setting for the Hornday 250 grain SST at 2,200 fps. Sounds like us!

It's designed for the SST saboted out of a muzzle loader, but 2,200 fps is 2,200 fps no matter how it got launched. And, you'd think with those design goals, it would be built to handle the recoil.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:27 pm

:) Hello all... I'm new to this site. I'm putting together a 450Bushmaster (after much debate over the 50 Beowulf) when I stumbled onto your website and this thread.

Question 1? BD1 posted... 'Now, if someone would just make a "real" stock.' Is there a problem with some of the stocks being retro fitted to the big bore AR's? I'm using a S&W lower that my son's been using on some of his 5.56 and 5.7 AR's. Any thoughts? :?

Question 2? This gun will be used primarily as a 100/200yd "plinker"...due to aging eye sight; I'm thinking a 2x projection site will suffice! Is recoil still a problem?
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby BD1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:52 am

Hi MD, and welcome to the site!

What I'd like to see in a big bore AR stock is something that's set up to take a real, permanently attached, recoil pad and spacer and has a slight cheek rise, (padded also would be nice), to consistently index your cheek weld. In an ideal stock the trap door would be maintained and there'd be provision to cross bolt the lead weight for shooting off the bench. I'd think this could be injection molded and foam filled like the A-2 stock for $100 or so.

Currently the choices are standard A-2 buttstocks, collapsable stocks that may or may not collapse on any given shot, and $250.00 tacti-cool adjustable sniper type stocks with moving parts , bells and whistles.

I've always shot my DCM with the butt stock high in my shoulder "pocket" and my nose right on the charging handle. That hold is a recipe for scope eye, a bloody nose, and a sore shoulder with the .450B

BD
BD1

Postby Siringo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:18 am

I just go a collapsable stock from my son. I am concerned about the durability, but I see a lot of 50B guns with them.
Siringo

Postby BD1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:27 am

I see ARs with all kinds of stuff on them. And there's a lot of 50 Bs out there, although I've never seen one in the woods. If this .450B makes it into the ranks of my hunting rifles, it's gonna have a hard life. A good solid stock would help. I think an adjustable stock on a full length buffer tube could be a good thing if it had a real solid method of locking it in place once you had it adjusted to fit what you were wearing, and if it would accept something like a 1" limbsaver pad.

BD
BD1

Postby NordicRX8 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:36 pm

BD1 wrote:Take a look at the Leupold Golden Ring "Ultimate Slam" muzzle loader/shotgun scope. The literature on thier website says it's got a ballistic range setting for the Hornday 250 grain SST at 2,200 fps. Sounds like us!

It's designed for the SST saboted out of a muzzle loader, but 2,200 fps is 2,200 fps no matter how it got launched. And, you'd think with those design goals, it would be built to handle the recoil.

BD

Yep, here's their SABR info:
The reticle assumes polymer-tipped sabots will be used throughout. As an example, a .50 caliber sabot with a 250 gr., .45 caliber Hornady SST/ML bullet exiting the muzzle at 2200 fps (3 pellets/150 grains of powder) would require the use of the 3 pellets setting.

I picked up a JP Enterprises 1pc. used mount and am going to try the 2-7x33 UltimateSlam... was also considering a 1-4x20, but the SABR looks really interesting and should work with the factory Hornady load. As BD1 already mentioned, since the scope is meant for shotgun/smoke pole, it should be a solid optic.
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

PreviousNext

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster