scope?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

scope?

Postby alaskaman94 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:05 pm

hey i am on a super limited budget but need to shoot my 450! do you think this scope will hold up at least for a bit? iv heard very mixed reviews... have any first hand experience with barska??? thanks...
alaskaman94

Re: scope?

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:45 pm

:| well funny you should mention that brand :? I have a barska 3x9x42 tactical w/illuminated mildot that i moved from a mini14 to the 450b and it handles the recoil very well. the quick adjust elevation knob set at 100yds then moved to 200yds is close enough for tactical; but not sniper quality shots, but then again we are shooting .45 250gr bullets vs .223 55gr so i expected it to be low. :roll:

:( the only draw backs are image distortion around the edges in low light conditions; not noticable in full daylight... and as for illuminated recticles :? useless for hunting conditions :| just my opinion :? i'm actually a die hard leupold fan ;) 8-)

:) checkout some of the other threads here... these guys have some really neat scope setups that probably aren't as expensive as you might think ;)
:) good luck 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby alaskaman94 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:52 pm

13 SMILES!!!!!! WOW!!! hmm. i can get that one for 50$ so does that change anything? i realy just want to make sure it can suck up the recoil....
alaskaman94

Postby wildcatter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:04 pm

Ok Young'en, I'm going to fix you up, on the cheap. Here's the premise, scopes that are cheap are of poor construction and have all manor of ills, i.e., never put Jap spark-plugs in an ZR-1 Corvette, get it. Those scopes have all manor of ills, like the distortion already discussed. The good news is that many of the scope companies have great lifetime guarantees, make sure you ask about that, so if you have any problems and shooting off the reticles is a relatively small problem, compared to things that can happen to the cheapies. Generally speaking, stay away from the cheapies.

But, there are some exceptions to that above rule and one is the Nighteater from Nikko-Stirling. They use "Class One" lens, you know, the ones that are used in scopes worldwide, that start in the four figures-$$$$. Nikko-Stirling is an Australian Company that specializes in Professional Night Hunting, without electronics. And do these babies gather the light! I can see antlers on deer, on a moonlight night, at 200++yds. I got to tell you, these things work.

I was turned on to them by High-End Worldclass Pellet-Gun Champs. Now before one scoffs at that, let me explain. The "Spring" mechanisms of some classes of Pellet-Guns, that is the sharp and severe, back and forth action of the spring, is much harder on scopes than our 450b places on our glass, as in, that spring action really put the hurt on our glass components, they really do! Couple this with a quality tube, class one glass, etched reticles, and adjustments that are dangerously accurate in their repeatability and you gotta a winning combo. Now scopes in this class can and do cost $2000 to more than $3000 bucks, but MidWay has them for less than a $100 bucks and I bought a bunch on clearance from the NRA for $69, check the Web, ebay, ect. you probably can get to that $50 number and if you can buy one that is defective or broken (and the pro-circuit spring-gun guys have never-ever heard of a defective one), so much the better, sending it back to Nikko-Stirling will yield up a new replacement and they don't care what happened to it or who is sending it back, Lifetime to them means to any sender that sends it to them.

So, there are other ideas and many of them will be really great and maybe even better suited to your needs, but it will be diffidently difficult to beat the suggestion I just made. There is one limitation, Tactical they are not, Niko has Tactical, but for much more money than you want to spend, even though these scopes too are a great bargain. But that 1.5-6x is really great for your kind of hunting up there, "Been There-Done That"..and it's a 30mm tube!!

Good luck and scope that baby up..t

Nikko Stirling Platinum Nighteater Rifle Scope 1.5-6x 36mm Duplex Reticle Matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=533230
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:04 pm

:D Sold! I can put the Barska back on the mini ;) Midway has them back ordered right now 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:48 pm

@ Wildcatter

Great info! Learn someting new every day. I was turned on to spring riflescopes last summer by my neighbor and he was explaining how the scopes have to be pretty tough to handle not only the backwards motion but also the front. Never occured to me to try it on a regular rifle. :idea:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Ol_hunter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Just picked up a Nikon Omega 3x9x40 with the 250BDC for 205.00 delivered it’s made for a muzzleloader shooting a 250 grain bullet over 150 grains of powder so the trajectory should be Ok and it has plenty of eye-relief. Plus I really like Nikon on a hunting rifle.
Ol_hunter

Postby Colohunter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:36 pm

I found a good deal on a lower end Leupold from Cabelas. I think it was about $160. The Leupold is a lot nicer than the cheaper BSA scopes and such that I have used. I didn't want to use one of the cheaper scopes on the 450 so I figured the Leupold would be able to handle the recoil.
Colohunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:53 am

This thread deserves a bump. Good stuff to know!
Also, it was mentioned that the Nighteater scope has a 30mm tube
But Midway is advertising it as a 1" tube. What's the scoop on that?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster