Consensus on Leupold's Ultimate Slam?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Consensus on Leupold's Ultimate Slam?

Postby abzolutzero » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 am

Hey Guys, Brand new here and first wanted to say hello to all.

Just ordered my first 450BM for use on some South Florida Hogs. Now I'm looking for a scope, I was wondering what the consensus was on Leupold's Ultimate Slam scopes? I was thinking about picking one of these up in 2-7x33mm, Just wanted to check in with you guys first before I decide.

Does anyone have any actual experience with this scope in our caliber, (seems as the only posts I see on these are folks recommending them because they seem to work for our application).

Let me know what you guys think, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
abzolutzero

Re: Consensus on Leupold's Ultimate Slam?

Postby NordicRX8 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:05 pm

abzolutzero wrote:Hey Guys, Brand new here and first wanted to say hello to all.

Just ordered my first 450BM for use on some South Florida Hogs. Now I'm looking for a scope, I was wondering what the consensus was on Leupold's Ultimate Slam scopes? I was thinking about picking one of these up in 2-7x33mm, Just wanted to check in with you guys first before I decide.

Does anyone have any actual experience with this scope in our caliber, (seems as the only posts I see on these are folks recommending them because they seem to work for our application).

Let me know what you guys think, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Welcome to the 450Bushmaster forums!
They do work for our particular application (250gr @ 2200fps) with one minor detail.... the Leupold SaBR built into the Ultimate Slam is only accurate on a SINGLE magnification level. I have a 2-7x33 UltimateSlam, and the reticle is spot on... at power level 3 using factory Hornady ammo. If you handload, and start using different bullet weights or driving the same 250gr bullet at different speeds, you may as well not use the reticle at all.
I like the added eye relief, the glass seems bright and the lifetime Leupold warranty makes it a decent choice of scopes.
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby abzolutzero » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks Nordic!

Just to clarify, you're saying that even when using the Hornady factory stuff you do not have the full range of magnification? OR are you only runing into problems with the scope when you shoot anything else? Thanks again.
abzolutzero

Postby bushmeister » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:33 pm

I have the 3-9x40 ultimateslam, and it is a fine scope. I have not had the long distance opportunity to figure out the accuracy of the reticle, but I hope to report some findings this March. I think what Nordic is saying is that the distances the reticles as they are designed to be used. Ie (100, 150, 200 etc) are only good for our factory load at one particular level of magnification, as the distance between the dots doesn't change regardless of what power you set it at. If the load you shoot is slightly different, you could always make a cheat sheet that works (instead of 100, 150, 200 your dots might be 100, 175, 250) or learn the magnification level that works at those distances for the load you are shooting. Now, I am under the impression that 2200 fps is about where 3 pellets of powder would take a muzzleloader, this would be 9x on mine according to the literature.
http://www.leupold.com/_pdfs/ultimatesl ... csheet.pdf Here is the lit for the 2-7: http://www.leupold.com/_pdfs/ultimatesl ... csheet.pdf According to it, 7 power would be the proper magnification, but who knows, Nordic says 3. I would think you can find out pretty quick with a box of ammo and a little walking.
bushmeister

Postby NordicRX8 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Ooops, yes I misspoke. I meant 3 pellet power, not 3 magnification. As Bushmeister stated, on the 2x7, the 3 pellet setting (for 250gr @ 2200fps) is the max - 7 magnification power setting. At this setting, the SaBR Leupold reticle is spot on with factory loads for 50 and 100 yd targets (I'm joining a new local range with longer ranges this year). So far, my reloads (240, 250 & 300s) are not near as accurate as the factory stuff, but I have not yet reloaded any Hornady 250gr FTXs yet.
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster