Scope for the Thumper?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Scope for the Thumper?

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:30 pm

What are you guys using for your optics? I'm thinking about buying this http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?con ... le%20Matte
Stealthshooter

Re: Scope for the Thumper?

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:37 pm

Should be more than enough scope, and Weaver is as good as anyone's. You might consider that the 450b is a 200-250 yard cartridge for practical purposes. The model you have there is maybe somewhat more than is really necessary, although you do want to have good eye relief in whatever you decide on. Personally, I've got a Nikon Slughunter 1.65-5X36mm on mine, and does everything I need it to, especially with 5" of eye relief, and is lightweight/compact for brush hunting.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:54 pm

The reason I chose the 10X is because I'm going to do my best to tailor a load for killing Elk up to 400 yards. I've had 3 weavers so far and I have loved them all.
Stealthshooter

Postby Jeepejeep » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:The reason I chose the 10X is because I'm going to do my best to tailor a load for killing Elk up to 400 yards. I've had 3 weavers so far and I have loved them all.

I don't see the 450 as a 400 yard elk rifle. Too much drop and I doubt it would carry enough energy to kill an elk at that range. I've been wrong before though ;) .
As for a scope I have this:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=322930
Cheap ass scope, I know but it works! I like the illuminated crosshairs and so far it works perfectly. Time will tell if it holds up I guess.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Shootist » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:38 pm

I got one of those Bushnell Trophy scopes. I think it will be perfect for the ballistics of this cartridge. I think I have the newest model that actually has a set of iron sights on top of it for really close-up shots.
Shootist

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:44 am

Here is an older post regarding optics for your 450 Bushy.
It has a lot of good information.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1180
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Larrys1911 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:35 am

Well I think the price on that scope is good, but I think the list that they give is a bit of crack smoking marketing. A quick google search indicates no one is selling that thing for a grand. What I found interesting is no reviews on it.

Im kinda like everyone else here, I think you are buying a whole lotta scope for a 450.

Little laugh I got at Gander a while back... Guy walks up to the counter and says he is looking for a scope for his winchester 30-30 and wants recommendations

Guy behind the counter goes directly to a Leupold VX3 4-14 IIRC and says... "If it were ME this is the ONLY scope I would used for any rifle"

I stopped the guy walking out the door and advised he would most likely be happy with a 1x4 to 2x7. He looked at me for a second and said

"Well I dont know much about any of this, Im kinda new to hunting but when a guy hands you a scope thats bigger than the gun your putting it on and costs 5 times what the rifle does I figured something wasnt right."

Larry

Oh im running a Leupold VXIII 1.75x6 or 7 I dont remember.
Larrys1911

Postby Hoot » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:41 am

I know everyone is sick of testimonials for scopes that .05% of the audience can afford, or that look like a wet dream and then fall apart in the face of stiff recoil. At least I am... ;)

Yesterday, I was at the range and a fellow had a relatively compact Ruger bolt action in .350 Remington Magnum. I watched him shoot a couple of shots and it was evident, that it was a very powerful caliber. During a break in the action, we were talking about the 35 caliber family and I noticed his scope had a red R on it so I asked if that was one of the new generation of Redfield scopes? He said yes and after shaking several other brands to death on that rifle, it was withstanding the punishment of his rifle very admirably. Especially the ability to adjust and return to zero. Then, he asked me if I wanted to shoot it? Now I'm not a slave to self-inflicted misery, but I was curious enough about the scope to say yes. As soon as I got settled in and shouldered it, I was amazed at how little dead space and body blackness there was around the perimeter of the sight window. There was the downrange view, slightly out of focus for my old eyes and then there was this sharp, bright, clear image of the target seemingly superimposed in the middle of it. It was odd after looking through my 6-24x42 SIII scope all morning and my immediate thought was how nice it would be for deer hunting. The 3-9 power obviously wasn't as much as the Sightron I had been using for load development, but the reticle was quite useful and succinct. The recoil of the rifle proved my judgement as an observer was spot on. It kicks harder than my .300 Win Mag, but not by much. I had slipped the Sims Limbsaver off of my lower and put it on beforehand, so it was a survivable encounter for my shoulder. He tried it with my Sims Limbsaver and we had an instant convert, vowing to stop by Walmart on the way home to get one. (hint: click on any one of the links)

Getting back on topic. That scope struck me (not physically) as a great candidate for a thumper. He said it wasn't expensive, so a double positive. Now that brief encounter would not rank as vast experience with any scope, but if first impressions are worth anything and if I were entertaining a hunting scope for my thrumper, that Redfield scope would be close, if not right at the top of the list.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:57 am

I learned a long time ago it's better to buy a quality scope once than buy several cheaper scopes. I've went through several inexpensive scopes when I first started out and they proved to be nothing but frustrating. As far as the 450 not killing at 400 yards It has plenty of poop to do so. http://www.hornady.com/cgi-bin/ball10.c ... =Calculate
Stealthshooter

Postby Jeepejeep » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:27 am

Stealthshooter wrote:I learned a long time ago it's better to buy a quality scope once than buy several cheaper scopes. I've went through several inexpensive scopes when I first started out and they proved to be nothing but frustrating. As far as the 450 not killing at 400 yards It has plenty of poop to do so. http://www.hornady.com/cgi-bin/ball10.c ... =Calculate

It has less than 1,000 foot lbs. of energy at 400 yards, not enough plus it drops 80inches!! Way to iffy for me on an animal that size.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster