Scope for the Thumper?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Scope for the Thumper?

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:46 pm

Hoot wrote:Another scope some 450b owners use is the Burris Fullfield 3-9x40 Ballistic Plex. They usually go for around $169. I just got an email from Natchez offering that scope for $169, but they throw in a Garmin Etrex GPS unit, which is worth around $100. If you have been considering a GPS unit anyway, that's a sweet deal.

Hoot

That is a sweet deal!! Even if you don't need the GPS it would make a great Christmas present for someone in the family I'm sure!
Stealthshooter

Postby mnhornet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:53 pm

I like the deal with the Binocs more. I like Burris glass.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby Clipity » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:58 pm

Well having just gotten back from the range and with a lot of help from my buddy coughitup, I got my Pentax GameseekerII 3x9x40 ( $89.99 at Midwayusa ) zeroed @ 100yards in ten rounds. It would have been done in three or less had I seen the hole three inches high dead center on the plain paper target (or if I had used the spoting scope or one of the orange peel targets we brought) before I went and changed my zero and screwed everything up and had to start from scratch. I think it is going to be a great scope optics are clear, it has the Pentax Plex sight for bullet drop, I have put 50 rounds down range and it's still holding zero and it has a lifetime no fuss warranty :D

Going to go hunt some piggies Thursday and hope to see one go down through it.

Clipity
Clipity

Postby mnhornet » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:46 am

I've got a Gameseeker on my yote AR. I have been very happy with it so far.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby BayouBob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:29 pm

I put a Pentax Gameseeker on my Thumper and kept losing zero. I thought it was the mounts and changed them twice before I realized something inside the scope wasn't holding up to the recoil. I think there is a reason why the Gameseeker line is on clearance prices everywhere. (Of course I'm the guy that turned 2 Leupolds into kaliedoscopes!) So far I've had great success with the Nikon Slughunter holding zero on Thumper. By the way Tim, that kind of dissertation is what we let somebody finish around the campfire and then say "You want to repeat that?" Good explanation though.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Martin3175 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:07 am

I went with a Nikon Monarch 2-7 and it seems ideal on the 16" set up .. The newer 2-8 would also work .. I also like the Minox 1.5-8 , the Elite 6500 1.25-8 , leupold 1.75-6 , or any quality scope with a magnification in this range .. I use scopes that top out at 4x or 5x on my slug guns , but am partial to 7x or 8x after seeing just how accurate the 450 can be at 100-200 yds
Martin3175

Postby Hoot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:06 am

Martin3175 wrote:I went with a Nikon Monarch 2-7 and it seems ideal on the 16" set up .. The newer 2-8 would also work .. I also like the Minox 1.5-8 , the Elite 6500 1.25-8 , leupold 1.75-6 , or any quality scope with a magnification in this range .. I use scopes that top out at 4x or 5x on my slug guns , but am partial to 7x or 8x after seeing just how accurate the 450 can be at 100-200 yds

+1 on the Monarch. My 20" wears one, but the 3-12. I'm a stand and ground blind hunter. except when I'm walking to and from them. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby ebusa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:50 am

So far my new scope for my Thumper is AWESOME!!!!! I use this rifle for mainly deer hunting.

I sold my Ziess Conquest and got a Redfield Revolution 2x7. The Redfield is 2 inches shorter, and about 5oz lighter!!! Eye relief is so much better too! Affordable little scope and it's dead nutz at 100 yards.

--Evan
ebusa

Postby mnhornet » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:41 pm

How is the glass on the Redfield?
mnhornet

Postby JCoop » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:26 pm

I've had a Pentax Gameseeker 4-16X50 on a 20" AR in 5.56 for about 5 years now. Put maybe a thousand rounds down range and it's had zero problems. Very accurate, holds zero, nice clear image. I don't know how it would do with a Thumper though.

I have a Pentax red dot on Thumper and it's had zero problems as well. Killed a 200lb boar at 120yards with it. The only thing I don't like is that it's difficult to see anything right at last light just before it gets pitch black out. I'm probably going to put the red dot on the house carbine and put a 2-7x or similar on Thumper.
JCoop

PreviousNext

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster