Scope for the Thumper?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Scope for the Thumper?

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:03 am

"Expensive" seems to be such a relative term when it comes to rifle scopes. Myself, and many others, consider my Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope to be expensive, even when it was on sale at $499.00. However, in the world of three gun and other professional shooters, scopes range $2000 to $3000.00+ and my $519.00 Minox 3-9x50 is considered an inexpensive scope.

The general rule seems to be "spend as much on your scope as you did on your rifle". Yeah, sometimes you can, and sometimes you just can't.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:48 am

I think the 1000# rule is greatly over rated! Sure it's nice to have that much energy but the truth of it is 900# is plenty to kill an elk. I own a Weaver grandslam 3x9 a zeiss conquest 3x9 and a Burris signature 6x24. Like I said previously I've learned the hard way buying inexpensive scopes. I've had the guts rattle loose and I've had the optics go cloudy both situations will put an end to your hunt.
Stealthshooter

Postby lucasphi20 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:12 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:What are you guys using for your optics? I'm thinking about buying this http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?con ... le%20Matte

Hey Stealth. Personally I think a 50mm 10x is a little more scope than you need, and I think most people will agree that 400 yards for the 450BM is a stretch even for whitetail deer. Wildcatter has done some stuff at that range and more, but I don't think the 450BM is right for your application. As far as scopes I prefer Leupold, many people on this forum are using shotgun/muzzlelaoder scopes like the Ultimate slam, I like the VX-III 2.5-8x 36mm. Here is a picture of my 450BM and scope on another scope thread http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1180&start=70
“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.”
General George S. Patton Jr., USA
lucasphi20

Postby Jeepejeep » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:14 pm

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The power is marginal and the 80 inch drop makes this too iffy to me. If you think you can hold over that much and still make a perfect shot then go for it. Not me. I will not take that shot. It's beyond my hunting ethics.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:59 pm

I am shooting Sportsman's Guide's house brand (Guide Gear) 3-12x50 IR, which I purchased for under $100 some years ago for my XM15. It is definitely too much scope for the 5.56 / .223 calibers, but I really like it at 100 yards for the Bushmaster 450. Although this scope is no longer listed on the SG website, it is similar to the Barska 3 - 12x50 mm Huntmaster Pro IR http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/b ... x?a=602051, which is listed at just under forty dollars!!!! Since I had it, I put it on the Bushmaster 450 expecting it would shake to bits, as has been the concern in other posts on this site, but through 300 rounds, it has held up perfectly (after putting some loc tite blue on the ring and riser bolts) - holding zero between range sessions and giving me good groups at 100 yds (see my avatar at the right).

BTW, the Sportsmans Guide website http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/brow ... &entry=171 has about 700 items (not all rifle scopes), everything from no-name to Nikon and in all price ranges.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby elkbow » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:26 pm

i had a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm that I wasn't using that I'm putting on the 450, so sould work out well
elkbow

Postby mnhornet » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:48 pm

The new Redfields are made in the US by Leopold. They don't have all the bells and whistles, but should prove to be a fine optic.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby BD1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Hey guys, I know I risk sounding like a broken record here, but there are two companies out there that make scopes specifically suited to the 250 grain FTX at 2,200 fps. Anything about those ballistics sound familiar? The Nikon Omega can be had for under $200 this time of year, and the Leupold Ultimate slam runs about $260, both have magnification ranges suited to the .450B ballistics, and BDC reticules that exactly match the the Hornady factory ammo. IMHO this is a no brainer.

To me the .450B is a pick up truck, a "game getter". It's true that I could buy a '64 Volkswagen bus and cut down the back, weld on a rack and build a plywood bed and make a pick up truck. I could also buy a BMV , cut out the rear quarter panels, weld in a custom stainless steel diamond plate bed and fenders; build a custom fiberglass tonneau cover and I'd have something that would look cool, and go really fast, but would it be a better pick up truck? Since both Ford and Chevy make perfectly usable pick-up trucks that can be bought right off the lot for a lot less money, and they're four wheel drive, why bother? If money is an issue, use whatever you already have to get range time until you save enough to put on a scope matched to the rifle.

My Leupold Ultimate Slam is still tight after 750 rounds. I can put 3 on target at 100, 3 on target at 200 and three on target at 300 all in a little under 20 seconds from any decent rest. 40 seconds with range finding. You'll have to go a long ways to convince me that there's a better scope "fit" to this rifle. That said, I see where Nikon has an Omega with a 300 yard BDC reticule. It could be the last word here. Anyone shot one?

I'm pretty confident in my .450 to 300 yards. Beyond that the really low BC of the bullets makes shots increasingly sketchy. Both drop and wind drift get into the realm of guess work. The other thing that I consider is that in 40 years of hunting deer, bear, elk and caribou I've never had a real opportunity that I had to pass up because the range was over 300 yards. We all dream of that perfect 500 yard shot were you're all set up, there's no wind, and the 6x6 elk walks out into the small sunlit clearing you've been watching for two hours and you just squeeze off the shot... In my experience it's more like you're moving along as quietly as you can on the way to, or back from , where you hope the game will be, it's snowing sideways, and suddenly something that you really didn't see, or register, moves, and it's game, and you have 2 seconds to make a shot between 30 and 100 yards. The question is: Can you hit it? And, Can you knock it down? That's what the .450B is about, getting on target fast and knocking them down.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Hoot » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:58 pm

I did some looking and there are only a few Redfield models out there. The one on the .350 Remington Magnum was the revolution 3-9x40. They can be had for $159.99 with free shipping at Amazon.com

I see they make the same model in 3-9x50 for $175 shipped from bigsupplyshop.com. Seems like a no brainer for the extra $15.00

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Not trying to belabor this, but I got an email from Optics Planet with a Father's Day offer of $20.00 off of a purchase of $150.00 or more and it qualifies for free shipping. So you can get the Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 in either a 4-plex or Accurange for $139.00 shipped. I did not need a scope, but my Dad, who is retired on a fixed income, does and I orderd one to be shipped to him for Fathers Day. The best I'll do from my 17 yr old will be a card, but my Dad paid the lion's share of our deer hunting costs last year besides taking the family out to dinner countless times while he was here, so it's the least I can do. He will not be expecting this, so that adds to the fun. I would love to see the look on his face when he gets it, but he lives 1200 miles away in Baltimore. Any members in Baltimore, who ever feel generous are welcome to take my Dad out to a shooting range. It would make his day and he'll insist on buying dinner. ;)
He's getting up there in age and doesn't get around as well as he used to. He spends too much time watching that big screen TV (the outdoors channel mostly) dreaming of the days when he used to go hunting every weekend. :cry:

The Accurange reticle looks like this:

I have no idea how the dot would apply to the 450b in terms of POI shift, but life is for learning.

I'm fighting the urge to get one to salt away for future use, just because of the good deal right now.

Hoot

EDIT: Almost forgot. The coupon code for the discount is: LUVDAD23
Last edited by Hoot on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster