Hunting Scope for 450

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Hunting Scope for 450

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:36 am

A fellow on Calguns has a Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 BDC scope for sale, for a very reasonable price. Says it in LN condition. If I didn't have all the 3-9s I need, I'd buy it for that price.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby xxInfidelxx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:23 am

I have been looking at the Nikon Omega, and the Bushnell 3200 Bone Collecter. I looked at the Burris Tactical mounts. Any opinions on which would be better?
Last edited by xxInfidelxx on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxInfidelxx

Postby madone » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:57 am

I decided on the Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V. I wanted an "eyes both open" 1x scope for the thick woods I hunt in in Maine, with a little zoom power just in case.
madone

Postby YoteAddict » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:49 pm

xxInfidelxx wrote:I have been looking at the Nikon Omega, and the Bushnell 3200 Bone Collecter. I looked at the Burris Tactical mounts. Any opinions on which would be better?

I have several Omega scopes. Recently, while in a store, I looked through that new Bushnell scope (Trophy XLT) with the BDC type reticle. My impression is that the Omega glass shows a brighter image.

Here's a link to the Bushnell advertisement that states that the Trophy XLT allows 91% light transmission:
http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/trophy-xlt/

Here's a link to the Nikon advertisement that states that the Omega allows 92% light transmission:
http://www.nikonhunting.com/riflescopes-omega-omega-3-9x40.html

I don't put much stock in the advertised numbers but I have used the Omega in low light conditions and it has allowed plenty of light for my needs.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
YoteAddict

Postby talonxracer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:41 pm

I have tried several scopes and for hunting I fell in love with the Nikon Omega scope for the 450.
talonxracer

Postby BD1 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Has anyone taken the Burris or the Omega and done the actual BDC test at 100, 200 and 300 yards? Are the aim points accurate using the 250 grain FTX at 2,200 fps, (factory load out of the 16" barrel) ? I did this initial test with the Leupold Ultimate slam and it was right on at 100 and 200, but low at 300. I'm curious if any of the other brands are better, but not so curious that I'm anxious to buy them just for the test. I'll do a more complete test of the Loopy at 50/100/150/200/250/300 at some point, but that will take a day at the range with no one else there as I'll need to set up the intermediate range targets, which is technically against the rules but I could get away with it on a very slow day.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Jailer » Mon May 03, 2010 3:59 pm

BD1 wrote:Has anyone taken the Burris or the Omega and done the actual BDC test at 100, 200 and 300 yards? Are the aim points accurate using the 250 grain FTX at 2,200 fps, (factory load out of the 16" barrel) ? I did this initial test with the Leupold Ultimate slam and it was right on at 100 and 200, but low at 300. I'm curious if any of the other brands are better, but not so curious that I'm anxious to buy them just for the test. I'll do a more complete test of the Loopy at 50/100/150/200/250/300 at some point, but that will take a day at the range with no one else there as I'll need to set up the intermediate range targets, which is technically against the rules but I could get away with it on a very slow day.
BD

This is my next range project I have planned. Accuracy testiong on my DPMS 308 has left me thoroughly frustrated so it's time to shift to something else for a bit and come back to that some other time.

I have the Omega BDC and I'm going to try it out at my local range to see where things shake out. Only thing that might make a difference for me is I have the 16 inch barrel, not the 20 so velocity will be a bit less than ideal. But of course that is the reason I am going to try it out to see how much difference it makes with the shorter barrel. If the BDC is off by too much then I'll just swap it out for a different one.

I'll start a new thread once I've had a chance to play with it a bit. Weather doesn't look too promising for this Friday so it may have to wait another week or so. Friday is one of my days off and I love going to the range in the afternoon and having the whole place to myself.
Jailer

Postby BayouBob » Fri May 07, 2010 8:09 am

Does anyone have any experience with the Nikon Slughunter 1.6 x 5 x 36?
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby BayouBob » Wed May 19, 2010 9:39 pm

Answered my own question. I put the 1.6 - 5 Slughunter on Thumper and through two afternoons of shooting I like it. I haven't tried it in the dim evening woods yet but it seems reasonably bright. 450 ammo is a little dear to do a box test on the adjustments but they seem to be right on as far as moving the poi 1/4 per click at 100 yds. The eye relief is long and not at all critical which is nice for hunting with different layers of clothes on and shooting at awkward angles. I didn't get the BDC model because I'm not a big fan of of the concept. If the animal is far enough away to need a BDC of some kind it's probably too far for me to shoot at. Besides, being a little dim-witted all that extra stuff in the view just confuses me. It's not a Leica, but for under $200 it seems like it will do the job pretty well. (Pix on the 450 pix thread.)
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby No_Limit » Fri May 28, 2010 7:07 am

I got a Nikon Monarch 4X40 fixed power scope on my 450B and my 6.8 that I hunt with. One of the best scopes ever made. (IMHO)
No_Limit

PreviousNext

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster