Hunting Scope for 450

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Hunting Scope for 450

Postby bregier79 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:09 pm

Howdy all! Been following the board for a few months and finally registered. I bought my first AR-15 about 2 months ago decided I would like to try hunting with it in the future - so I ordered the 450 upper a few days ago. I already have a ACOG TA11 for my .223 upper, but I would like a more powerful scope for hog hunting out to 150 yards. Since I already spent some big money on the ACOG, I would appreciate some suggestions on a cheaper scope for the 450 upper. I'm pretty sure I want a 3x9x40, but just can't decide on the model. I'm willing to spend up to around $300 - and I also would like to hear about good scope mounts. I have a LaRue for the ACOG and love it, so I am leaning towards another LaRue mount for a new scope.

Thanks!!

Brian
bregier79

Re: Hunting Scope for 450

Postby BayouBob » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:02 pm

If you just want the scope for hunting it's hard to beat Burris's Fullfield II line. They make both a 3-9 x 40 and a 2-7 x 35 that will give you visibility until you can't see any way and they are priced reasonably. Stay away from any of the junk made by Leupold.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby bushmeister » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 pm

To offer another opinion, I am very pleased with my made in the USA Leupold 3-9 ultimateslam "junk".
bushmeister

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:59 am

Sightron SII 3-9x42
Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 (also 3-10x50 and 3-12x42)
Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40

Any of these will work better than your eyes and not cost you an arm and a leg. Don't be afraid to buy any of them used.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BD1 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Hey Bushmeister, how are you liking the ballistic reticule in that "junky" old Leupold?
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby bushmeister » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:46 pm

Well to be honest, I've only had to use the first one :D I originally thought it might distract me from the under 100 yd hairs, but it doesn't. I'm hoping to do some 200 and 300 yd stuff after turkey season, and will report back when I do.
bushmeister

Postby wildcatter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:57 pm

Can't remember exactly what Leupold told me at SHOT, but some models are made in Chink-Land and all have most of their parts made there too, with some assembly made here. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they no longer make stuff in the new USSA, but I may have them confused with either Burris or Bushnell, I talked to all of them.

Bad-Bob, you are the first one I have ever heard say anything negative about Leupold in my 56yrs. I know you to be one of the Good 'Ol Boys and a serious Straight Shooter, so can you share your story about what happened, to get this opinion?

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bushmeister » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Well, according to all of the company info, all golden ring scopes are made in the USA... which means most of the cost of the product is incurred here. They admit to sourcing glass from abroad. Perhaps the redfields are imported? You can check out some of their video here... http://www.leupold.com/leupoldtv/ (they don't look Phillipino to me!) I should add the only dog I have in this hunt is the American worker.... and the $270 I paid for a US made product.
bushmeister

Postby BayouBob » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 pm

I've owned 3, 2 VX-2's and the CQ/T. All of them were dim to point of useless in low light. One of the VX-2's reticle shattered on a Ruger 10/22 from the vibration of the bolt hitting the the internal stop. (10/22's are notorious for that on cheap scopes if they don't have a nylon buffer installed in the reciever.) The second one's reticle shattered from the recoil of a 416 Rigby after 7 shots. Leupold fixed them but they are relegated to back up status. The CQ/T was a huge disappointment. Just over 1" inch eye relief. I realize some tactical shooters put their nose on the charging handle but many don't. The only way to mount the scope on a flat top AR is at the very back of the receiver anyway. The lighted reticle was completely washed out in daylight and the tiny objective lense didn't let in enough light for the scope to be useful in low llight. For $900 it was a joke. I don't have any experience with the new super expensive models but the question was about moderately priced scopes. I agree with the made in the U.S.A. sentiment but in this global economy it's impossible to know how much is outsourced. I have a Mercury Grand Marquis that is partly made in Mexico and Canada and a Kawasaki 4 wheeler that says proudly made in Lincoln Nebraska!
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby MudBug » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:45 am

I am not a lupy fan. Not that they don't have SOME quality product but because;

1.) They forgot about us. Instead of trying to give the buyers what we wanted they simply said "This is what you get, now take it and be happy you spent top dollar on something that almost suits your needs". They never even tried making the scopes people wanted until the market became saturated with other companies that were listening to their customers and stealing part of leupold's market share.

2.) They took many scopes from the VX-III line and without changing a thing moved them to the MK-IV line and charged more for them.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster