Hunting Scope for 450

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Hunting Scope for 450

Postby Jailer » Fri May 28, 2010 8:04 pm

Jailer wrote:
BD1 wrote:Has anyone taken the Burris or the Omega and done the actual BDC test at 100, 200 and 300 yards? Are the aim points accurate using the 250 grain FTX at 2,200 fps, (factory load out of the 16" barrel) ? I did this initial test with the Leupold Ultimate slam and it was right on at 100 and 200, but low at 300. I'm curious if any of the other brands are better, but not so curious that I'm anxious to buy them just for the test. I'll do a more complete test of the Loopy at 50/100/150/200/250/300 at some point, but that will take a day at the range with no one else there as I'll need to set up the intermediate range targets, which is technically against the rules but I could get away with it on a very slow day.
BD

This is my next range project I have planned. Accuracy testiong on my DPMS 308 has left me thoroughly frustrated so it's time to shift to something else for a bit and come back to that some other time.

I have the Omega BDC and I'm going to try it out at my local range to see where things shake out. Only thing that might make a difference for me is I have the 16 inch barrel, not the 20 so velocity will be a bit less than ideal. But of course that is the reason I am going to try it out to see how much difference it makes with the shorter barrel. If the BDC is off by too much then I'll just swap it out for a different one.

I'll start a new thread once I've had a chance to play with it a bit. Weather doesn't look too promising for this Friday so it may have to wait another week or so. Friday is one of my days off and I love going to the range in the afternoon and having the whole place to myself.

Well I finally made it to the range today, but unfortunately I have nothing to report. Not sure what was going on but I just couldn't shoot worth a crap today. I was shooting all over the place, even with a rifle that I have that is extremely accurate. I've got a buddy of mine coming out with me next time that is an ace shooter so I'm going to put him behind the trigger and see what he can come up with.

Hopefully I have some meaningful results to share soon.
Jailer

Re: Hunting Scope for 450

Postby Hoot » Fri May 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Jailer wrote:Well I finally made it to the range today, but unfortunately I have nothing to report. Not sure what was going on but I just couldn't shoot worth a crap today. I was shooting all over the place, even with a rifle that I have that is extremely accurate. I've got a buddy of mine coming out with me next time that is an ace shooter so I'm going to put him behind the trigger and see what he can come up with.

Hopefully I have some meaningful results to share soon.

It happens to everyone. Thursday evening I went to the local range and there was one other member there. He is an affable but garrulous fellow who put his AK away and sat next to me asking questions about the 450b. "Though I had the right to remain silent, I lacked the ability", answering each question thoroughly. For the life of me, I could not settle into my zone with him sitting there watching me and did not shoot as well as I wanted. It wouldn't have been so bad if I was just plinking, but I was benchmarking loads not only for velocity, but groups as well. Wasted 19 rounds before I didn't have enough light for the chrony.I cleaned my 450b, sat there and just chatted until the skeeters evicted us. Some days are like that. For me, it's hard to know when to just stop and save my effort for another day.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster