Too much gun for the scope

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Too much gun for the scope

Postby srd66 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:32 am

I had the great debate about what kind of scope to top off my 450 Bushmaster with and decided to see if I could get a higher quality budget scope because I was ready to shoot. After reading a few reviews on SWFA about scopes several people mentioned that the Simmons Aetec Master series scopes were rugged and held up well being beaten around on 4-wheelers and came at a good price so I decided to pick one up for the Thumper and placed it on a Burris PEPR mount and it seemed rock solid. This 2.8-10 power scope has an illuminated reticle and good glass for a budget scope. Off to the pasture I go to get the gun sighted in and I have to say the Thumper is a blast to shoot! After 4 rounds I am getting pretty close to center and I adjusted the scope a couple of more clicks and shot again. After the 5th shot I noticed the reticle has canted to the right just a little and there are a couple of black specks on the lens. I immediately thought that I had not tightened the scope mount enough and the scope twisted in the mount. I look at the scope and things seem to be squared away so I decide to shoot another round to see what’s up and sure enough after round 6 the reticle is canted about 45 degrees and more black specks show up on the inside of the scope...Ruined. Now I have to send the scope back and get a higher quality replacement. Moral of the story... don’t go cheap with the thumper even if its a "higher quality" cheap.
srd66

Re: Too much gun for the scope

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:43 am

Before I upgraded my Browning .300 Win Mag to a different scope, I had a Sightron SII 3-9x42. It has amazing clarity throughout its range and held zero religiously despite the battering the Win Mag gave it. I don't know what you paid for your Aetec, but you can pick up the Sightron for around $200 quite frequently. Perhaps less on the used market. The SII line is one of the best kept secrets among scopes. They're not all Buff looking, but they put out.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bushmeister » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Wildcatter mentioned a scope on the cheap a few months ago in this http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=481&p=2897&hilit=nikko#p2897thread. I have no experience with them, but I might have to look into one for my muzzleloader.
bushmeister

Postby Billsmith63 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:44 pm

I had the same problem with the reticle canting on a BSA Sweet 22 used on a Ruger 10/22. I think that may be a common problem with a cheap scope. If my 20" .450 upper ever arrives, I plan to put a Millet 1-4x24mm DMS on it. I had considered their 4-16 x 50mm tactical but don't see the need for that kind of power on the .450.

On a separate note: NC Star is crap! Don't waste your money. (at least the one that I bought was! Had to re-zero it every time out)
Billsmith63

Postby BayouBob » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:52 pm

Bill, The BSA's and most of the other Chinese scopes are pretty unreliable. Did you install a nylon buffer in your 10/22? The bolt hitting the steel stop at the rear of its travel is so violent that 10/22's will break the reticle of even quality scopes. The buffer is only a few bucks and takes a couple of minutes to install.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:29 pm

BayouBob wrote:Bill, The BSA's and most of the other Chinese scopes are pretty unreliable. Did you install a nylon buffer in your 10/22? The bolt hitting the steel stop at the rear of its travel is so violent that 10/22's will break the reticle of even quality scopes. The buffer is only a few bucks and takes a couple of minutes to install.

+1 to that. buffer regardless of caliber in a 10/22 action
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Billsmith63 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks guys, I'm going to order that buffer. I'm thinkin' that when I scope the .450, I'm going to use a Millet Designated Marksman.
Billsmith63

Postby BayouBob » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:10 pm

Hey Bill, Midway has the 10/22 buffers on sale this week.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby bad luck » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:07 am

Billsmith63 wrote:I had the same problem with the reticle canting on a BSA Sweet 22 used on a Ruger 10/22. I think that may be a common problem with a cheap scope. If my 20" .450 upper ever arrives, I plan to put a Millet 1-4x24mm DMS on it. I had considered their 4-16 x 50mm tactical but don't see the need for that kind of power on the .450.

On a separate note: NC Star is crap! Don't waste your money. (at least the one that I bought was! Had to re-zero it every time out)

Just a warning on the millet. I got one of the 1-4 DMS and put it on my 450 and the scopes will not hold up to the 450. Millet said they would and replaced the scope 4 times now. None of them made it past sight in. One of them spun the reticule, and the others just wouldn't hold the adjustments. I finally put the last one on a 223 ar and am looking at the TR24 1-4 offered by trijicon for my 450.
bad luck

Postby BarracudaBob » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:34 am

My Nikon Omega has held up for 100's of rounds. I bought it refurbished from natchezss.com for under $150.

I really like these rings. I can mount a laser &/or flashlight to the scope or take it off for hunting. Very solid for the price.

Command Arms 1" Picatinny-Style Scope Rings with Integral Picatinny-Style Top Rail Matte High
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=261557
$17.00
BarracudaBob

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster