Delete posted twice sorry* thanks for the responses.

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Delete posted twice sorry* thanks for the responses.

Postby ksduckhntr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:26 pm

I have on order a 16" 450B and want to us it for deer hunting and blasting things. My question is what optic to put ontop of it? I am thinking a low variable scope maybe 1-4 range due to the short distance of the cartridge. So my question is is there a scope that will stand up to the punding of recoil in this range? My price tag is 300 on the high end. Thanks for any help. Also what rings seem to work well? I was thinking the burris pepr mounting system.
Last edited by ksduckhntr on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksduckhntr

Re: New to the thumper

Postby BayouBob » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:17 pm

You will love your 450! Even though some of them look pretty cool you should probably avoid the Chinese scopes. In your price range there are low variables from Bushnell, Burris and Nikon that would work well. I have a 2 x 8 Bausch and Lomb Balvar on mine that is low profile and works well. To get the height you need for a good cheek weld you need either extra high rings like the Millett AR type or risers like the Yankee Hill Machine mini's to raise the scope. I like the mini risers because you can then vary your scope height by 1/4" at a time with low, medium and high rings to find the best fit for your shooting style.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby maxbid » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:00 pm

My 450 upper has been on order since March 3rd, when it gets here i will be mounting the Leupold Golden Ring Ultimate Slam 3-9x40mm scope on it. For my old weak eyes i need the magnification at 200 yards of a 9 power. A max of 4 power just won't cut it for me at that distance.

This scope sells most everywhere for $269....
http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-golden-ring-ultimate-slam-3-9x40-rifle-scope.html

The muzzle loader scopes have bullet drop reticles that should pretty much match the drop of the Hornady 250 gr FTX.... Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong here. And they are designed to take the wallop of 12 gauge slug shooting so they will handle the "thumper".
maxbid

Postby Hoot » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:53 pm

Best bang for the buck in terms of quality, durability, yatta yatta, Sightron SII 3-9x42. You won't be disappointed in the performance, although it is not as sexy looking as some of the short-living China Charlie stuff. Depends upon your priorities. ~$200.00
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster