New to the 450

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

New to the 450

Postby ksduckhntr » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:35 pm

So I ordered a 450B because of the sale that was going on in March and now have a few questions. First is what type of scope do people use? I bought this gun for hunting purposes, mainly deer and maybe a hog or two in the future. Should I use a low variable power scope or a low fixed power, since the affect range is around 200yds? If you have any ideas that don't exceed the amount of 400$ I am all ears. Secondly what kind of scope rings/mounts are made to withstand the heavier recoil of the big bore? Also I have read reports that this round is very accurate with the factory Hornady ammo, is this true? Thanks for any help and it seems to be a great site and all purpose round. Can't wait to get my upper.
ksduckhntr

Re: New to the 450

Postby Hoot » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:16 pm

I'm like Johnny Sightron Seed. I'm a big Sightron SII 3-9x42 fan. Some day your eyes will age and you'll be glad you invested in a 3-9. That scope will outlast us both. You can find them quite often for $199.99 online. That's where I got mine. I was so impressed, I later bought a 6-24 for one of my varminters. Same quality. Same crisp image throughout the entire zoom range. I was so impressed with that, I bought a pair of their 10x50 binoculars. I originally heard about it in a Chuck Hawks article. I believe he referred to it as the best kept secret in the scope world. Not the SI, but the SII (roman numeral 2). With my old eyes, every rifle I own is scoped and I have quite a few brands, not including Leupold. They're good scopes, but I believe a large part of their MSRP is for bragging rights. Just my opinion though. At the local Gander Mountain, they have lots of scopes to look through. Focusing to the other end of the store, through the front window, across a field in the snow, near dusk, I could not tell the difference between the 3-9 Leupold and the SII. That was the clincher. Mine was mounted to a Browning .300 Win Mag and held zero just fine for several years until I upgraded to a larger objective scope. It will go on my 450B when my upper arrives, hopefully before deer season in November.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby MudBug » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:50 pm

I'm also a big Sightron fan lately. I have two of the SII 3x9x42s with the HHR reticle (one on a 270 WSM and one on a 300 win mag) and I have an SII Bid Sky 4.5-14x44 Mildot on my 18" grendel.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby ksduckhntr » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:24 pm

Thanks guys. Mudbug what kind of setup is your Grendel? I sold my upper to save a little cash and go with the 450B I'm starting to think I need a Grendel in the future, depending on how the new hornady ammo works out. What kind of rings are y'all using to hold against such recoil of a 300win or even the 450B
ksduckhntr

Postby Hoot » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:58 pm

I'm using Burris Signature Zee rings. Little dusting of resin keeps the scope from shifting. That's not just the Zee rings but any rings in a high recoil application. Everyone has their favorite rings. I'm sure you'll get as varied a response as there are members.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby MudBug » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:48 pm

ksduckhntr wrote:Thanks guys. Mudbug what kind of setup is your Grendel? I sold my upper to save a little cash and go with the 450B I'm starting to think I need a Grendel in the future, depending on how the new hornady ammo works out. What kind of rings are y'all using to hold against such recoil of a 300win or even the 450B

I have 2 Grendels. A very heavy 22" barreled version with a Magpul PRS stock and I recently built a lighter version with a medium weight 18" barrel and a VLTOR Mod-Stock.

For rings on the Grendel I use the Larue mounts, for the 450B and the 300 Win Mag I'm using Warne Maxima Rings which I love for how good they are and how cheap.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster