Flat top scope rings?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Flat top scope rings?

Postby deskjockey » Wed May 05, 2010 8:17 pm

What are the proper scope rings to use with the flat top upper?

There are normal rings and raised rings.
deskjockey

Re: Flat top scope rings?

Postby BayouBob » Wed May 05, 2010 9:30 pm

The height of the ring will depend on the style of cheek weld you like. You probably are going to use your 450 for hunting as opposed to tactical situations so look at rings that raise you scope to about the same position relative to your line of sight when the gun is shouldered as you would with a bolt action rifle. Because the comb on the A-2 stock is high you will probably want extra or ultra high rings. Millett makes an excellent set of high rings just for an AR-15 flat top. Another option is to get a set of mini picatinny risers like Burris and Yankee Hill Machine make. They put you rings about a half in above the flat top rail and you can try different heights of standard rings to get the height you are most comfortable with.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby BarracudaBob » Thu May 06, 2010 1:21 am

I am very happy with my rings from midway. They are very robust and have rails on them for accessories also.

Check them out:

Command Arms 1" Picatinny-Style Scope Rings with Integral Picatinny-Style Top Rail Matte High
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=261557
$17.49
BarracudaBob

Postby BD1 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:10 am

I like the PEPR mount from Burris, it's a little pricey but very strong, and it puts the scope at a good height for me.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby deskjockey » Thu May 06, 2010 9:42 am

yes hunting, so I am going to go with the high

Thank you
deskjockey

Postby xxInfidelxx » Thu May 06, 2010 10:01 am

I just received the Burris Tactical mounts and they're really nice. Paid about $49 for the pair. I purchased the x-tra high mounts and height is perfect for my cheek wield. Only issue is eye relief on my Bushnell 3200 3x9x40, I have the scope mounted as far forward as I can and with a CTR stock I still need about another inch to get proper site picture. I will be adding a Sorbothane "grind to fit" pad soon and hopefully that fixes the issue so I don't have to pull my face back to adjust my field of view. I should have got the PEPR mounts.
xxInfidelxx

Postby Hoot » Thu May 06, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm a big fan of Burris Signature Zee rings, but their highest 1" rings are too low to use alone. So, I picked up a set of YHM risers and the fit is perfect. I like my scopes as close to the barrel as I can get them and still have a comfortable cheek weld. The closer to the barrel, the less problems transitioning from close in "bush" shots to longer open range shots IMHO.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby thatguy » Thu May 06, 2010 7:25 pm

I am using Warne Quick-Detachable (QD) 'tactical' rings on my ar (and my muzzleloader)... The AR takes the 'ultra high' rings..

So far when you remove/re-install, they have both returned to zero.. The AR rings will run about $70ish dollars, but it is a very robust ring..

brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby hi50 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:25 am

Been having no problems with the ARMS #22 rings directly on the upper. Quick release levers, and returns to zero. Currently using a 30mm red dot or 30mm Konus M30 1X4.
hi50

Postby ag04blast » Mon May 17, 2010 1:31 pm

BD1 wrote:I like the PEPR mount from Burris, it's a little pricey but very strong, and it puts the scope at a good height for me.
BD

+1 I am using the PEPR too, very solid and at $69 for a one piece it is hardly pricey in my opinion.
ag04blast

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster