toppin' it off

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

toppin' it off

Postby oscar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Got my 450 and after the first shot, i am in love. Now what to put on the top?
Been reading about different options for optics on the 450 on here. I would love to have an eo tech, but was wondering if there were some less expensive options for it. Was looking at the bushnell trophy red dot, but wondered how it would take the recoil. the thing i like about the eotech is the 1moa dot so i could shoot it up to and a little over 100 yds. Guess i will just get an ole 3x9x40 of some sort, just was wanting to see what everyone thought of different "quick accquisition" sights?
oscar

Re: toppin' it off

Postby Hoot » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:49 pm

IMHO, for bang-for-buck I recommend the Sightron SII 3-9x42. Tough and very clear optics. A used, like-new one just went yesterday or the day before on Ebay for about $140. You can catch them on sale for $199.00 new if you watch the sales.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Randy1 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:04 am

Wouldn't a good shotgun scope work well? They are designed for heavy recoil and now available in 1-4x and 2-7x models from the major manufacturers.
Randy1

Postby BD1 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:06 am

I've had excellent luck with my Leupold "Ultimate Slam" 3x9 muzzle loader scope. The BDC reticule at 9X is a match to the Hornady factory ammo, and my reloads, throwing the 250 grain FTX at 2,200 fps which makes it a no brainer out to 250 yards. At 300 yards you're holding on the top of the thick part of the vertical cross hair which takes some practice to get right. I have better than 400 rounds on that scope with no trouble to date. I paid $269 for it and I'm happy so far. In any event it has the Leupold guarantee. There is definately better glass out there, but for purposes of an AR thumper I can't see any reason to spend more $$.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Hoot » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:51 am

Lots of folks like that Leupold. New ones are on Ebay for $239 shipped.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:19 pm

oscar wrote:Got my 450 and after the first shot, i am in love. Now what to put on the top?
Been reading about different options for optics on the 450 on here. I would love to have an eo tech, but was wondering if there were some less expensive options for it. Was looking at the bushnell trophy red dot, but wondered how it would take the recoil. the thing i like about the eotech is the 1moa dot so i could shoot it up to and a little over 100 yds. Guess i will just get an ole 3x9x40 of some sort, just was wanting to see what everyone thought of different "quick accquisition" sights?

I have an Eotech 557 w/ FTS 4x magnifier and love it. I recently purchased a reflex sight from Osprey and was blown away by ruggedness and ability to hold zero. The first day I got it my buddy leaned the rifle up against something thinking it was secure. It wasnt and the rifle fell to the ground optic first pretty hard. No damage and still held zero. It has 4 different reticles 2 different colors (red & green) and brightness is adjustable. Great both eye open and very fast target acquisition at a low price.
http://www.osprey-optics.com/holographic-sights.html
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby oscar » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:45 pm

Been reading about a vortex strike fire on some ar forums and it comes with a 2x magnifier. said it was tested on some 375 magnums so was thinking it wuld be ok for the 450 but was concerned about the range of the 2moa dot. looks like something like the bdc muzzeloader type is high on the list.
oscar

Postby ebusa » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:26 pm

If I had to do it over again, I would get the new Redfield Revolution... 3x9x40. Lots of options for the money...plus lifetime warranty. :D
--Evan
ebusa

Postby wildcatter » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:28 am

Randy1 wrote:Wouldn't a good shotgun scope work well? They are designed for heavy recoil and now available in 1-4x and 2-7x models from the major manufacturers.

Purpose built shotgun scopes hold up well, but unless your going to keep your shots at very short ranges, they just don't have the Parallax for 200+ yds work. Most rifle scopes are parallax adjusted for 150+-yds and 22lr scopes are adjusted for 75+-yds. Shotgun scopes are basically adjusted for pistol ranges. If you have an adjustable parallax scope, all ranges are possible. I had a high dollar scope for my shop gun and in a machine rest, you could tilt your head and get 18"+ of movement at 200yds. Out of the rest, about 5/6 moa was all that was possible and far worse most of the time. In other words parallax is a big deal and do not ignore it..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Cdog » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:24 am

I second the Sightron suggested. I have 3 of the SI 3X9 mildot that work great. The SII will add some extra eye relief though. I recently had a friend get me to install a couple of the Timberline series 3X9 from Burris on he and his sons' ARs'. I was so impressed that I ordered a couple for myself. They are very compact, clear, and the eye relief is outstanding for any scope, much less one in this one's price range. It's on sale at SWFA for $119.00. I may order a couple more for the future. Good luck Chuckdog.
CDOG
NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER
HERITAGE FOUNDATION MEMBER
Cdog

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster