300HAMR

The forum is for discussions about calibers whose parent is the 450B.

Moderators: MudBug, Hoot

300HAMR

Postby PRKL8R » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:39 pm

I know this is not an offspring of Thumper, I thought i might kick up interest in this forum. Looks as the 30Rem is toes up at this time. They are at a premium on Internet, and ammo is rediculous. So I was looking at Wilson Combat's 300HAMR .Looks like an improved 40 combat. By its capacity and energy as good and better than the 30/30 it should take off once the price is more reasonable. Put this post wherever it needs to be. Has anybody done anything with this one? I remember Hoot working with the 40WC a few years back.
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Re: 300HAMR

Postby plant_one » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:29 pm

i had looked at it, but it didnt have a ton of appeal to me.

because of the caliber selections i have - and the list of those that i can hunt deer with - there simply not enough check marks in the PRO side of the pro/con list to justify one.

personally... i ended up going the legend route - simply because it gave me a 2nd caliber that i could hunt with downstate (well ok the whole state, but primarily in the restricted zone in the southern 1/2 of the lower penisula). it basically fills the same niche (30-30 ballistics in an AR) and it gets similar or better velocity's with 150gr bullets as the hamr does, and has the ability to go up from there, as well as go down in projo weight for really spicy varmint class loads. and unlike the hamr (due to its slow slow twist rate at 1:15) - the legend maintains an ability to play in the subsonic realm for those of us with cans.

so again, nothing personally against it - just didnt feel the need to add one to the collection.
plant_one

Postby PRKL8R » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Me neither also have the Legend Upper from Bear Creek. That is very affordable with a lot of horsepower. I was just looking at something in 30cal. Maybe Bear Creek will make a upper soon.
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby s4s4u » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:43 pm

The HAM'R is on my short list of possibilities. Have also looked at the Legend, but the HAM'R utilizes P-Mags which I have a pile of. I have no desire for subsonic so the 300 BO doesn't appeal to me. Forming cases is a simple proposition as well. Finding parts is a chore right now and I am still need an upper to finish my 450BM before I begin another project, but the HAM'R is a consideration.
Last edited by s4s4u on Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s4s4u

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:04 pm

I just had to have a 7.62x40WT when they first came out. It was fun to play with but I grew tired of having to run it at near max pressure to get the velocity that I wanted from its 20" barrel. Great workmanship on the barrel by Wilson but now it sits on the shelf. I might consider having it reamed to Ham'r but again, I would probably be running it at near max too. I have a plethora of deer caliber rifles with more zip in them. Some on AR platforms, so not sure what's in its future. It was fun to play with but back when I got it, I hadn't retired yet and needed all my spare time on the weekends to commit to more powerful calibers. I may get back to it one day, now that I'm a man of leisure.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby cwlongshot » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:49 am

I seem to keep Looking back @ this one. I have seen the limits on the BO as a hunting round and the better ballistics would bring the 300 right to where it could do everything Id need for me.

But the new 8.6 Block is aluring... Im not a 338 fan. Im a 35 fan... So I have been thinking a 450 case necked 35 with a .360 neck and a 40° shoulder seems appealing with a slow 1:3 twist for use with heavy sub loads... I ha e a bunch of molds for this one.

Anyone thought about anything like that??

CW
cwlongshot

Return to 450B Children