7mm and or 30cal Bushmaster?

The forum is for discussions about calibers whose parent is the 450B.

Moderators: MudBug, Hoot

Re: 7mm and or 30cal Bushmaster?

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:52 pm

When considering bullets for this caliber, do consider going the slightly higher price of HP or HP w/Ballistic Tip, over plain Spire Point or FMJs. The latter, being entirely made of lead and copper, are physically shorter than their HP cousins for the same weight and if loaded to max COL (=max charge), will not have much of the actual shank inside the neck when seated.

Of course, you can simply load them to a shorter COL, but that reduces the amount of space left in the case for powder and limits the flexibility of loading at whatever COL that fits inside the magazine, which produces the greatest accuracy.

Hornady's 125gr SST (#3019) looks promising if you can find them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby PRKL8R » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:41 am

Finally read link to 7VAR. Impressive numbers for AR15 platform. Wonder if anybody else had coments on this wildcat?
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby Hoot » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:08 am

PRKL8R wrote:Finally read link to 7VAR. Impressive numbers for AR15 platform. Wonder if anybody else had coments on this wildcat?

And that's based upon the .308 parent case. It would be even beefier with a .284 (450b) parent case, given the greater powder capacity. Not too informed on the 7VAR, so I don't know if you can benefit from more powder without exceeding the bolt strength. IE, if its already maxed using the .308 parent case, there will be no gain from greater powder capacity.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby IceAxe » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:27 pm

I am sure the AR Perf 800 bolt strong, but consider if you used a 30RAR as a downer platform you would have the bigger AR 10 bolt.
NRA Life
IceAxe

Postby Hoot » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:00 am

Redding or RCBS FL Dies? Reason?

I originally wanted to order the RCBS FL dies, which were not competitively priced and received the 30 Remington (non AR) ones by mistake. I returned the 30 Remington dies they sent me and the package is slated to arrive at Midway in the next day or two. On the return form, I had indicated that in the unlikely event that they got the RCBS back dies in stock, they could send me those in exchange, or just refund my money. I never dreamed that they would be back in stock in time for my customer return. Lo and Behold, I got an email notification a few minutes ago, since I was watching them, telling me that they are back in stick. Go Figure! In the mean time, I discovered that EABCO here in my state has the Redding set for less than Midway wants for the RCBS and I ordered them. If I get an order confirmation from EABCO that they actually do have the Redding dies in stock, since I just ordered them last night, I probably will have contact Midway quickly and explain why I don't want them to exchange for the ones I sent back, but instead just credit my check card I charged them to. Not sure how quickly they get to Customer Returned products once they are received in shipment. Maybe the RCBS dies will go back out of stock by then. :roll: I had opened the wrong die box when it arrived, but did not use them. Not sure if Midway has a "If you opened them, you bought them" policy. Maybe its no skin off of their nose if I call or email them and say to simply give me a refund and I'm over-thinking this.

Hoot

EDIT: Redding dies shipped. RCBS dies refunded. Good to go.
Hoot

Postby IceAxe » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:24 pm

Well the 130's flew pretty good and show promise. One thing I know I will have to change is the mil spec trigger, talk about the long gravel road. The "drop in" trigger is on order.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (50.33 KiB) Viewed 42238 times
Last edited by IceAxe on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life
IceAxe

Postby IceAxe » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:27 pm

Oh , here is the 168 g Sierra
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (50.9 KiB) Viewed 42238 times
NRA Life
IceAxe

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:57 pm

IceAxe wrote:Oh , here is the 168 g Sierra

I had a 168gr recipe for my .308 when I had it, that shot a 5-shot ragged hole. They do need either more speed or a higher twist rate than shorter bullets. The obvious payoff is good BC as the range gets out there. 100 yd groupings will favor shorter, flat base bullets. The folks who shoot 100yd 30 caliber BR use flat base bullets since at that distance, BC does not factor in as much because in theory (see sig) the longer, boat tailed bullets have to travel a longer distance to settle down. If you want to shoot that weight range in the 30 RAR, consider the 165gr flat base (=shorter) bullets like the Grand Slams. IE any bullets that when loaded to 2.26 COL, will use up just the neck for seating depth, since the 30 RAR is such a short case. non-boat tails will have the advantage of having full contact with the neck, providing good resistance to pulling when cycled in an autoloader. That last part is pretty much all theory (see sig). ;)

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:39 pm

Picked up rifle today after work.
Nice Workmanship
Weird-ass magazine :|
First Task tomorrow is to fireform a case after work and do some measuring. Too cold for a range date.

Did some distance to lands measurements with DIY overall length gauge case and what bullets I had on hand, that I could find:

30rar+dtl.jpg
30rar+dtl.jpg (99.57 KiB) Viewed 42210 times

Hoot
Hoot

Postby IceAxe » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:29 am

Hoot, thanks for tapping those cases! They look great! I am hoping Tomorrow I Can measure the distance to the lands on the RAR.
I can't wait to see your testing results with your new RAR. I thought about picking up another one just to have a spare, what a great value. Was the R15 ever offered in 450 Bushmaster?
NRA Life
IceAxe

PreviousNext

Return to 450B Children