7mm and or 30cal Bushmaster?

The forum is for discussions about calibers whose parent is the 450B.

Moderators: MudBug, Hoot

Re: 7mm and or 30cal Bushmaster?

Postby Stealthshooter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:08 am

Well I have not got the 30ar yet but I did pick up some ammo. Sportsman's warehouse has 150gr rem corelok for $19.99 a box. I decided to pick up 3 boxes of it. If they still have it next time I'm in town I think I'll pick up a couple more boxes.
Stealthshooter

Postby IceAxe » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:56 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (84.1 KiB) Viewed 30499 times
Here is a photo of the 30RAR, the upper is a little beefier I think due to its use of what I think is a modified AR 10 bolt.
NRA Life
IceAxe

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:54 pm

For those of you who have both a 450b and a 30 RAR, I have a question. Has anyone tried cutting down a used 450b case to where the 30 RAR shoulder would begin, chamber it in the 30 RAR and see if the larger bolt face would pick it up and eject the slightly smaller 450b case head? The reason I ask would be the ability to make 30 RAR brass from annealed 450b brass.

Given the 450b's continued growth in popularity, you'll probably be able to get ammo and brass for it for the life of your rifle. if Remington ever decided to discontinue making 30 RAR loads, that might be a way to keep reloading for it, other than stockpiling existing ammo while it is still available.

You know where this is going right? I recently got bonus that my wife doesn't know about. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby IceAxe » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:39 pm

File_000.jpeg
File_000.jpeg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 30483 times
I thought about it too. Right now ammo for the 30RAR is relatively cheap so it is easy to stock up (hoard). What I was originally thinking was to use it as a basis for my 450 build so as to benefit from the stronger bolt, but as it turned out I was able to get one of the AR Perf.800 series bolt and extension. The 450 B cartridge fits a little loose, but fits RAR bolt, my guess is that it would cycle just fine.
Attachments
File_001.jpeg
File_001.jpeg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 30483 times
NRA Life
IceAxe

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:59 pm

So where does the RAR depart from AR15 interchangeability? That's obviously an AR10 size bolt, so I'm guessing an AR10 Barrel Extension. Is the receiver AR15 and the BE modded to fit it or is the receiver a hybrid made to fit an un-modded AR10 BE while mating to an AR15 lower? Is the Bolt Carrier an AR15 opened up to accept an AR10 bolt or an AR10 BC shortened and modded to fit an AR15 receiver? It reminds me of the Olympic 300 OSSM setup I used to have. Definitely beefed up to safely deal with 55k PSI. IIRC, AR10's are proofed at something like 75k. I know from experience that the 450b is capable of greater than 39K PSI, but I'm not sure what they are proofed at.

I know, lots of questions for a guy who never quite felt he had a "mission hole" that the 30 RAR fills. I do have a 7.62x40WT upper I built because I wanted to play with it and at the time I got it, Wilson had a deal on barrels. It is IMHO, what the 300 BO would have been if it had not been designed by a company who's main revenue stream comes from selling suppressors. Never being satisfied with a design, I spent a month or two working up different loads to see how far it would go, which is in the realm of a 30-30 with lighter projectiles, before it starts stretching primer pockets. A very civilized caliber, but having been afflicted with thumper disease, I felt it stopped just short or where I wanted it to be. Not sure if that itch really has a cure. ;)

Almost jumped it over to a 30 HRT, but the reamer would not totally obliterate the remnants of the 7.62x40 chamber without going even more wildcat and making the case a small amount longer. Custom die, on your own at that point. So I shoot my 7.62x40, but despite its pluses in terms of only needing a barrel swap, the passion just isn't there. Now if you don't mind the proprietary nature of the 30 RAR platform, it totally goes where the 7.62x40 can never go in terms of power.

Hence my interest in yet another caliber vector which seems to be a common plague when I'm stuck inside, a refugee from the MN winters. (It's -13F outside as I type this). Man Cave Time of the year. Dangerous time of the year in terms of my wallet. Buying commercial ammo to get brass is nothing new around this forum, so the appeal of just laying on a supply of RAR ammo certainly is the easier path to walk. For those of you already reloading the RAR, how does the brass hold up? Does it stretch a few mils after each shooting cycle like many other bottleneck calibers? Do the primer pockets go first? I seriously doubt that Big Green is ever going to sell RAR reloading brass, that's assuming they're not just drawing down what they have by making it affordable right now. Being able to re-task 450b brass sure sounds appealing. One last question. 30 RAR dies come in normal and small base versions, with the small base ones actually being cheaper, which would imply that they are not as commonly used by reloaders. Anyone using the small base version?

Looking forward to the "Thrilla' in Vanilla" matchup tomorrow between the Vikings and the Seahawks. Praying that Peterson is suited up, given that he was listed only as possible in the last bleachers report I saw. When its cold, a lot of the game is going to be ground pounding I'm guessing ad few pound it better than Adrian.

Good Night. I go to bed with a head full of quandary and an "under the radar" bonus dancing before my closed eyes. :|

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby IceAxe » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:06 am

The BCG in the 30 RAR is that of an AR 15 with the bolt of an AR 10 with 2 lugs ground down to facilitate round pick up. The upper receiver also seems to have a little more meat on it. I believe the extension is also modified some, perhaps they removed some of the outer radius, I am not sure. All in all much lighter than my AR10 though.

I had a DPMS 308lr but man that thing was heavy, way too heavy to hunt with. Today I think the DPMS G2 is a much better option considering weight, and will probably order one when it come available in 6.5 Creedmore.

At around 700 NIB the 30RARnis a great deal. As far as using converting the 450 brass, I don't think it's practical for me. The price of intermediate or step down dies, having to cut the cases and turn necks isn't worth it when I can buy all I want at a buck a round. Our local Sportsman's had 500 rounds on the shelf for $19 and change per box, then they sent out a 20 or 30 % off ammo coupon just before Christmas.

Hoot if you like the AR platform, order the 30RAR, you won't be sorry! DPMS did a great job when they made it for Remington.
NRA Life
IceAxe

Postby kottke_35 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:39 pm

I keep going back and forth for about three years now if I want a 30 RAR. I'm thinking I may have to "pull the trigger" and try it out.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby IceAxe » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:53 pm

I should have a proper scope arriving tomorrow, so hopfully, barring anymore snow, I can post some shot groups by the end of the week. There appears to be two factory loads available from Remington, a 123 gr FMJ and a 150 gr PSP, additionally I picked up some Barnes 130 gr TSX to try some handloads. We will see how they shoot.
NRA Life
IceAxe

Postby tridentarmory » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:29 am

We have done both a 30 and a 358.

Had a lot of fun with the 358, its potent and well rounded. additionally, we have been hearing that many customers are practicing with handgun projectiles.... which seems pretty convenient.
tridentarmory

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:26 pm

OK so I'm getting ready to order. Do I go with rem r15 in 30ar or do I go with Olympic arms 30ossm? Or do I go with Olympic arms new hybrid that will fit both ar15 and ar10 uppers?
Stealthshooter

PreviousNext

Return to 450B Children