Range Day 040316 Branching Out

The forum is for discussions about calibers whose parent is the 450B.

Moderators: MudBug, Hoot

Re: Range Day 040316 Branching Out

Postby plant_one » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:32 pm

graff's used to sell the same bullet as a 'ZMAX" under item number 3142G for like 18 cents per. but its up to 32 cents now too, just like the SST is.

the best bet i found is wait until the zmax come on sale and then use a cabela's bucks to ding it down even further. i think the most i've paid for them was around $120 for the box and one of the early boxes i got was closer to $99
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:56 pm

plant_one wrote:graff's used to sell the same bullet as a 'ZMAX" under item number 3142G for like 18 cents per. but its up to 32 cents now too, just like the SST is.

the best bet i found is wait until the zmax come on sale and then use a cabela's bucks to ding it down even further. i think the most i've paid for them was around $120 for the box and one of the early boxes i got was closer to $99

Midway has the boxes of 500 for .23 a round, but as I said, I need to test them before I plop down that kind of dough on what looks like a good value, but what winds up being a dead end. As always, my metric is 1 MOA at 100 yds, at a brag worthy velocity and without blowing out primers and or case heads. Brass comes at a premium. I did discover an outfit that makes brass forming dies that are purported not to waste so many 450b cases in the process, but I don't know what the price of the dies are. Heaven knows, I have a good stash of 450b brass. The resized 450b brass would still need their necks turned or reamed as they thicken up quite a lot when you squeeze them down to 308. Success in this caliber would have to be great enough make the reforming dies a worthwhile investment.

Anyway, with only 10 resized bullets on hand, i could only run about two attempts at cracking the code. Even I'm not that optimistic at hitting it in two tries. Any chance you could sell me some of your stash of resized Zmax bullets? Not looking for a handout. You already were generous on that front. I could trade you some bullets of the many kinds that I have on hand. Got some extra Hornady 130gr SP, or if you made it sweet enough, I have a box of Barnes 110gr Tipped TAC-TX AAC that I will never use. I hear they're the cats meow in the Blackout and hard to come by. Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:59 pm

we could probably negotiate something like that if you need a few more for testing :)

those tac-tx arent THAT hard to come by these days, in fact i picked up a bunch as pulls recently. looking back i wish i'd purchased more at the time, but i thought they were gonna be a regular thing and he hasnt had them since :(

they are one helluva bullet though !

shoot me a PM and we'll sort out the details :)
plant_one

Previous

Return to 450B Children