Good deal on 18" 6.8SPC upper, if you want one...

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Good deal on 18" 6.8SPC upper, if you want one...

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Palmetto State Armory has 18" 6.8SPC stainless uppers on big markdown through midnight tomorrow (Friday), August 24th...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... dium=email
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Re: Good deal on 18" 6.8SPC upper, if you want one...

Postby Hoot » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:49 pm

That is a good deal!

I have enough leftovers to put that on the air tomorrow if I wanted that caliber. Too bad they don't offer it in a longer barrel. That might draw me in out of curiosity. Or a different caliber like 7.62x40WT. Guess my wallet is right where it needs to stay, but for someone looking to get into that caliber, given the BCA and CH can be borrowed from other calibers, that sure would be a good starting point. Otherwise, if someone had a reamer to cut the chamber alone to a bigger, necked down 6.8 caliber, there would be a good basis for a wildcat. Imagine the 450 case necked down to 6.8! It's past my bed time ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Good deal on 18" 6.8SPC upper..

Postby jerdebson » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:10 pm

The 6.8 was optimized to be efficient with a 16" barrel, if you don't know the story check it out. I am very impressed with the little cartridge. A friend called me today about this ad. I told him that is as cheap as I have ever heard on a 6.8 II. The barrel is lighter contoured than mine but should be a good carry gun. Also mine are 18" just because it is what I like. I would buy a Bushmaster in 18" and be very happy, I will settle for a 20" though.

A friend of mine was assembling uppers for Harrison at AR15Performance when he was in Pueblo West, CO. He is considered one of the god fathers of the 6.8x43s. I got to know H before I bought my first barrel/bolt combo, he is a wealth of information. (PMA was hard to beat at their prices). His guns are very good but much more money. 11" twist, mid gas, 6.8 II chamber, (mine are 6.8x43) and 18" barrel all ad up to a very good combination.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby B swift » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:49 pm

That IS a good deal! SO tempted! THANKS A LOT commander faschisto! :P

What will a bolt and mag add to the price? Time to shop!
\
RE: jerdebson>

You're NOT helping (my wallet) LOL :lol:
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby jerdebson » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:49 pm

B swift wrote:That IS a good deal! SO tempted! THANKS A LOT commander faschisto! :P

What will a bolt and mag add to the price? Time to shop!
\
RE: jerdebson>

You're NOT helping (my wallet) LOL :lol:

Its been a while but I believe bolts start around $65.00 and I think the ARP Super Bolt was $95.00, it has been a while so check around. Mags are the hangup on the 6.8, C Products Defense new generation mags are just this last month becoming available. The 25 rounder is the first one to hit the market and they are $14.95 if I remember right. A 5, 10 and 17 rounder is in the works, they will be $13.95 or $14.95. Midway and another shop, Hammerlund (sp), will have them in stock as they become available. 6.8 Forums is where I hangout to keep up on the 6.8. Seems CHEAP after seeing $42.00 for a 5 round 450 mag.

I believe if you research the 6.8 a little you might just want one, last year I built 4 guns with APR bolt/barrel uppers, 2 in 5.56(Adams Arms Pistons) and 2 in 6.8.
Last edited by jerdebson on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby B swift » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:18 am

Oh, I want one.

I have a 5.56, and a 7.62
I also have a 7mm (mag)
There is such a thing as over kill.

Sweet little number..... 6.8

Hmmmm?
8-)
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby Hoot » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:23 am

I wasn't dissing the 6.8 design. It's a close cousin to my 6.5 Grendel that wears a 24" barrel. Given that you run out of case capacity in both calibers in order to keep them under 2.26, a longer barrel is one way to regain some velocity. I assume the 6.8 has similar attributes, but my Grendel is the most accurate off the shelf grade AR caliber I own.

Here are some 5-shot 100 yd groups from it. That is a .375 inch bulls eye. This is my meat saver caliber. ;)

It's as close to a bolt action in terms of shooting itself as any AR caliber I've shot. When I'm white tail hunting, if I elect to hunt the sloughs and trails where longer shots are the norm, I drop off the 450b upper at the truck and switch to the Grendel.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby jerdebson » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:13 am

Overkill, what overkill? I did sell my comped 300 Win Mag. to a friend that NEEDED it, but I still have my three 6MM-284 Win.s (medium, heavy and I hope to get as far as the bench (22#) one), 270 Win. and 6.8s.

I watched the 6.5/6.8 projects for several years and in the end decided the 6.8 was for me. We could debate their attributes, as many still do, forever. A 16" barrel is all that is NEEDED for the 6.8 but I like the 18" (just my preference). I believe there is a place for both. It is no different than the 450/458 debates. I want two of everything don't we all? :lol:

Great groups by the way. Not many guns that accurate.
Jerry

Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Hoot » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:36 am

jerdebson wrote:...snip...Great groups by the way. Not many guns that accurate.

Yeah, especially considering it was a fresh out of the box, 24" AR Stoner (E.R. Shaw OEM) barrel & bolt combo from Midway that I caught on sale for $229.00 shipped, mounted on a Blackthorne upper that I pulled the 5.56 barrel off of. Once in a while you find a diamond among the coal. ;)

It's definitely more accurate than my so-so bench technique can take advantage of.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby jerdebson » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:46 pm

That was a once in a lifetime buy. Shaw makes a good barrel for the money. I have "semi-custom" guns that won't do that good. Good for you.
Jerry

Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Return to AR15 Style Rifles