If you had a choice of 16", 18", or 20" barrel.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: If you had a choice of 16", 18", or 20" barrel.

Postby wildcatter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Blasternank wrote:It's not me, I'd prefer an 18" I believe but I was curious about others and their rationale for their choices and if they could do it over again and if all things being equal-meaning all three barrel lengths were available and about the same price, which they would go with. Many times people have buyers remorse in that they get something and upon using it wish they had another option to make it a little better. I'm just curious.

Thanks.

OK then, under those circumstances, a 20 incher and a hack saw, for possible future use, might be in your world soon.

Good Luck..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby tbirdman74 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:34 pm

All things being equal, I went with the 20. Had the option of the 16, first one that came in for me was a 16 and I made them reorder the 20. I don't feel that its too long, its not like I'm ever gonna be clearing rooms with it. If I have to, I'll just shoot 'em through the walls anyway.
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Postby wildcatter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:21 am

tbirdman74 wrote:All things being equal, I went with the 20. Had the option of the 16, first one that came in for me was a 16 and I made them reorder the 20. I don't feel that its too long, its not like I'm ever gonna be clearing rooms with it. If I have to, I'll just shoot 'em through the walls anyway.

I made the same choice, 20" for my personal weapon and is the length I'm taking on this years Rocky Mountain Elk Hunt. There was a time when 24" bolt guns were said to be the most handy. But I also own all the other lengths, for various reasons, which is why I said, defining your mission might prove helpful..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bushmeister » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:28 am

the 18" is actually only 1/2" longer than the 16" since Remington didn't put an izzy on it, so it can be considered equal to the 16" in compactness. although the recoil would be about 31g's vs 25 g's according to the muzzle break tests we ran a few years ago. I love my 16" and haven't had a critter complain yet that I shot it with 75 fewer fps than a 20" barrel! :lol:
bushmeister

Postby jerdebson » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:17 pm

I have come to appreciate the 18" barrels and mid gas but I talked with Scott about a couple of 20" uppers for a friend and myself today. They are out for short time but we will START with 20" barrels and go from there.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles