Black followers? Mag mod? Fill me in.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Black followers? Mag mod? Fill me in.

Postby Despotes » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:17 pm

What's the deal with the black followers? Is there a mag mod I should be aware of?
My 450 upper is due Monday.
Fill me in please. :geek:
Despotes

Re: Black followers? Mag mod? Fill me in.

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:23 pm

New factory 450b mags have a "black follower" that is made for the cartridge...we seem to have found a source to buy them as separate parts, to replace the standard follower in an AR mag...delivery is still being worked out. You might check the search function to get the various posts about "black" followers...this is pretty much the whole story, though:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12580&hilit=black+followers
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:30 pm

Copied from last update...
Got a message from Tim today that they had to make some major changes to the die that casts the follower. They are asking for a few more weeks.
Thanks for your patience.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:48 pm

commander faschisto wrote:New factory 450b mags have a "black follower" that is made for the cartridge...we seem to have found a source to buy them as separate parts, to replace the standard follower in an AR mag...delivery is still being worked out. You might check the search function to get the various posts about "black" followers...this is pretty much the whole story, though:

http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php? ... +followers

There's a little more to making a 450b mag from an ar15 mag, besides changing the follower, but it's not rocket science. There's a small semi-circle area you have to grind down on the front of the mag, using any number of means. A dremel and a carbide burr will do just fine, but so will a rat tail file and a little "horse sense". Then there's "tweaking the lips". Basically giving them a little less spread to make sure the case rides relatively parallel and doesn't pop out prematurely when the mag is filled up. Speaking of which, depending upon what kind of follower spring they are using, you may have to remove a little to maintain maximum round count. Don't take any of these too much to heart. They are easily accomplished. Getting the floor plate off is more of a challenge. Lastly is polishing the underside of the lips so that they don't have sharp edges is always a good practice with any caliber AR magazine, modded or not.

What you can achieve is to get a magazine that performs as well as the Bushmaster factory mag at a lower cost in trade for about 15 minutes of work. I guess it depends upon what your time is worth and whether you enjoy tuning your components for optimum performance. Once we get the followers, there will be plenty of opportunity to discuss the process.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby jerdebson » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:04 pm

I don't know if all of this batch is spoken for but I would like to get in on this or the next run if possible. TIA
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Despotes » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:52 pm

I want some of the black followers too.
Despotes

Postby B swift » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:31 pm

jerdebson wrote:I don't know if all of this batch is spoken for but I would like to get in on this or the next run if possible. TIA

8-) Yep, where do I get in line? :)
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby Blasternank » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Hopefully there will be a bunch made as many of us want to try them!!
Blasternank

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:50 pm

When the second run hits, everyone will get a chance.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby jerdebson » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:When the second run hits, everyone will get a chance.

TSD, thanks. It sounds like there are several of us wanting in on the second run.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Return to AR15 Style Rifles