NEW JP Silent buffer/spring assembly WOW

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: NEW JP Silent buffer/spring assembly WOW

Postby MarkCO » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:16 am

If you are shooting full power loads, then the .308 spring might be a way to go. The AR-15 spring, as directly compared to a standard buffer with a stock spring and a +25% spring...I like the standard buffer and +25% spring more. I typically take weight out of my AR-15 buffers, but I am running a slightly heavier sealed buffer on my .450 BM now. One nice thing about the JP SCS is the capture which allows you to run with no buffer pin. I've gone to running all of my ARs with no pin anyway, so for me it's not a huge deal.

So now that I have figured out that most of my WOW! was due to the EXTREMELY heavy (and wrong) buffer spring, my enthusiasm has waned. If I were going to tell someone to spend $100 to $150 to take out recoil, it would be an adjustable gas block and comp before messing with the buffer/spring assembly or the carrier.
MarkCO

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:11 am

I really am not trying to rain on the campfire, but I think IMPO, at the end of the day and after all the gadgets get tried, most of you guys are gonna find that the factory mil spec buffers and springs are going to be all you need. That's all mine has and it performs reliably.
Just saying.
PS And believe me, I was just like you guys when I first jumped into this caliber. I drove Tim nuts with questions. He finally convinced me to keep the buffer and spring that's standard for whatever stock I ended up with. Guys, he saved me hundreds of dollars. Listen to Tim. He's the guy who designed this caliber AROUND the platform.
He is "King Julien".

-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby MarkCO » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:38 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I really am not trying to rain on the campfire, but I think IMPO, at the end of the day and after all the gadgets get tried, most of you guys are gonna find that the factory mil spec buffers and springs are going to be all you need. That's all mine has and it performs reliably.
Just saying.

In general, you are probably correct. I worked up loads I like, and then got to tinkering trying the mods I found on here and had tried on other rigs and settled with what works best for me. I've got maybe an extra 1/2 ounce in the buffer, 25% more in the buffer spring and effectively cut the gas port in half with the adjustable gas.

All stock, with full power loads is certainly going to be reliable. However, it will also have MUCH more recoil than a tuned set-up with a corresponding increased wear. Mind you, I was getting FULL function at 100% reliability with a 230 at 1550 fps. Pushing them over 700 fps faster on the same set-up just made no sense to me.

For a guy who wants to soften the thump on the shoulder and not mess with the gas system or carrier, XP springs is one of the simplest ways to spread out the recoil. A heavy buffer is a way to spread out recoil a bit too and save the brass a bit at the same time.
MarkCO

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles