Where does the 450 Bushmaster fit on the recoil chart?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Where does the 450 Bushmaster fit on the recoil chart?

Postby Blasternank » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:02 pm

I can't find it. Perhaps there is another chart with it included. Please let me know if you know what it is or where it should be on the chart or if there is a chart floating out there with it on it.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Thanks.
Blasternank

Re: Where does the 450 Bushmaster fit on the recoil chart?

Postby Hoot » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 am

Blasternank wrote:I can't find it. Perhaps there is another chart with it included. Please let me know if you know what it is or where it should be on the chart or if there is a chart floating out there with it on it.

Thanks.

I could put my favorite online calculator links that I've found in my Useful Information sub-forum if folks would like and they could send me links to ones they think should be added.

This is the one for a Recoil Calculator

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Blasternank » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:19 am

Do you know what it would be for the factory ammo? The Hornady 250 gr.? I don't have my barrel/bolt yet so I can't enter in any information.

Thanks,
Blasternank

Postby Hoot » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:15 pm

Blasternank wrote:Do you know what it would be for the factory ammo? The Hornady 250 gr.? I don't have my barrel/bolt yet so I can't enter in any information.

Thanks,

I've never shot, nor pulled down a factory load, so I can't say beyond a shadow of a doubt, but here's what the above linked calculator says for 3 different weights of rifle using the 250gr FTX over 38gr of Lil Gun at 2200fps. The calculator does not take into account the presence of a muzzle brake, nor the impact of a gas operated semi-auto action.

8 lb = 19.52 ft/lbs
9 lb = 17.35 ft/lbs
10 lb = 15.62 ft/lbs

To put that into perspective, an 8 lb .308 pushing a 150gr bullet at 2742 fps ahead of 43gr of H4895 yields a free recoil of 13.48 ft/lbs.

I have shot an 8lb .308 bolt action, pushing that exact load and IMHO, the recoil felt worse than my 450b, using a 20" barrel, brake, homebrew shake-weight recoil reduction system like Gunny's in the stock and a weighted carrier.

Gunny has posted all kinds of recoil traces for the 450b, but they're expressed in G-force not ft/lbs. Perhaps he has a trace or two for other AR calibers, to put it into perspective. Gunny?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby gunnut » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:39 pm

The actual primary recoil is about 18 FT/LBs. But, That's only for a micro sec. before the gas action cuts it short. -30% = 12.6 FT/LBs. The gun is decelerating after that. That's why it feels like a shove instead of a punch. Best I can do without getting to high teck :geek: :D
gunnut

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:43 pm

I was gonna say mine kicks somewhere between a .410 bore and a 30-30 but then you guys had to go and get all scientific on me so ill just shut up and listen.... LOL
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:04 pm

I agree. I have a featherweight pre64 win70 in 30-06 and cant stand more than 5-10 shots out of it. I would say the perceived recoil of 450 bm is quite near my remington 870 20ga shooting slugs with no recoil reducing additions. However with the 450 I shoulder it high as with my other AR15's so just over half the stock is actually shouldered. I can only stand 30 rounds or so before I quit shooting it for the day. I shoot 22lr and 223 out of it as well so i am not changing my mechanics at this point.
Dont let the recoil dissuade you. This rifle is absolutely addicting.
Its even beaten out my beloved Saiga12
CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

Postby Hoot » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:37 pm

3rdgeargrndrr wrote:I agree. I have a featherweight pre64 win70 in 30-06 and cant stand more than 5-10 shots out of it. I would say the perceived recoil of 450 bm is quite near my remington 870 20ga shooting slugs with no recoil reducing additions. However with the 450 I shoulder it high as with my other AR15's so just over half the stock is actually shouldered. I can only stand 30 rounds or so before I quit shooting it for the day. I shoot 22lr and 223 out of it as well so i am not changing my mechanics at this point.
Dont let the recoil dissuade you. This rifle is absolutely addicting.
Its even beaten out my beloved Saiga12

Ooh, I always wanted to try one of those Saiga 12's !!!

Now that's the ultimate home defense weapon, loaded with #4 Buck low brass. AKA .243 caliber, 34 round, select fire, machine gun.Image

Does how tightly it is shouldered affect cycling reliability?

Hoot
Hoot

Return to AR15 Style Rifles