***Wildgame Innovations***

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Postby dvrod18 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:39 pm

Just a warning to all of you out there, it appears Wildgame innovations cameras are designed to fail shortly after the warranty expires. I can't speak for all models (I have an IR-4) but just wanted everyone in on what I have found. I used my camera with good sucess for about two seasons, at the end of last season (2nd season in use) I put new batteries in it which were dead the next day, no pictures were taken.

Since the camera is out of warranty I decided to take it apart, when I did I found an obvious issue with the wiring, where the insulation was gone, which I repaired. Put new batteries in it and the programming screen will come on but it will not take a picture even though the sensor light comes on when you move in front of it. Did some more looking and found another "secret" battery compartment on the back which had a shrink wrapped "cell" of LR44 (three) which had corroded. Cleaned the connections and replaced the batteries and it still doesn't work. So not sure what to do next other that throw it in the trash.

(here comes the interesting part)

My dad who purchased the camera for me as a Christmas present also bought one for himself. I told him what I found on the camera, so he also took his apart and found that the "secret" cell of batteries (in his case 3.6v) was soldered in on the inside of the camera (same model as mine, purchased at the same time). I thought the whole point of batteries were to be replaced when the run out, so why would the be soldered in?

Of the 5-7 Wildgame cameras we have only one (I think) is still working after 2 seasons of use. Dont get me wrong there are alot of cameras that don't work well (My dad has been through Bushnell, Wildgame, and Predator) its just the fact it appears Wildgame intended for the camera to die with the "secret" batteries.

Sorry for the long post just wanted to let everyone know.

By the way I am going to purchase a new camera soon and would be happy to hear opinions on what or what not to buy.

Thanks,

D
dvrod18

Re: ***Wildgame Innovations***

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Sounds like "planned obsolescence" to me...thanks for the warning.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:31 pm

I run Bushnell 8mp's and love them. usually around $150 if you shop around.
Al in Mi

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:43 am

I'm using the Spypoint IR5 and BF7. Got the cameras at Midway and the Lithium batteries at Gander Mountain. So far so good. They have a good website and you tube video reviews are good.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:51 pm

:shock: those "secret" batteries really aren't a secret. all major brands have them. they are the batteries that keep your processor memory from failing each time you replace the disposable batteries. thier only purpose in life is to provide just enough power to remember your configuration settings and save any pictures that are not stored on the SD card. once those batteries fail, all volatile memory in the processor is lost, which is why you shouldn't need to reset your config between battery swaps. but if you noticed, after long storage, the "secret" batts discharge; the first set of batteries don't last as long as subsequent batteries because they also need to recharge the volatile memory batteries too, once installed. it sounds like the volatile memory batts failed and drained your replacable batteries. changing the vm batts should have fixed your prob. if not, your processor was damaged when they failed or you didn't properly heat sink during the soldering process. :| i hope this helps. :)

i have two WG cameras and the oldest is finicky. the other 8.0 works fine. it's hard to beat my moultries though, in my opinion. i have a Primos 45... and i won't buy another. 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby BayouBob » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:10 am

If you got 2 seasons out of a Wildgame product you did well. Like most budget priced electronics they are basically disposable items. Even more expensive electronics have a pretty short life expectancy. (Try and find a TV repair shop. TV's today are made to use for a few years and throw away.)
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:52 pm

BayouBob wrote:If you got 2 seasons out of a Wildgame product you did well. Like most budget priced electronics they are basically disposable items. Even more expensive electronics have a pretty short life expectancy. (Try and find a TV repair shop. TV's today are made to use for a few years and throw away.)

And that's frustrating for those of us with 57" DLPs. Mine is starting to get white dots. :evil:
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:58 pm

WELL WELL!! Looks like I now can put a face to who kept me and my poor dogs up all night!
Vacation's coming, baby. Keep it up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ZBg97DV88
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bushmeister » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:29 pm

I have a wildgame camera and it has had several issues that have required me to go inside and make repairs. I have kept it running, but I will say I'm not planning on buying another.
bushmeister

Return to AR15 Style Rifles