Accuracy Issues

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Accuracy Issues

Postby lovetohunt93 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:08 am

Thank you Bmt85 and Hoot for the information.

I ordered a Lee reloading book to read through before I plan my attack into the world of reloading. I will most likely get a single stage press as I like the idea of simplicity and a single stage seems like it would have the potential to be a better press to learn on compared to a progressive press.
lovetohunt93
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Re: Accuracy Issues

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Your welcome.

Hoot thought I had an automatic powder measure, I don't, yet. I am still doing load work up for quite a few cartridges. I just throw a charge and measure each one. Definitely tedious, but I put up with it for now. Also still using a single stage press for the same reason. I don't reload high volume right now, so don't feel the need to spend the money. Besides, I find it easier to reload this way. If I do get a progressive, I will still keep the single stage, even if just for load workup.
Bmt85
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 11:13 am
Location: S.E. Michigan

Re: Accuracy Issues

Postby MOOSE EARS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:13 pm

lovetohunt93 wrote:Thank you Bmt85 and Hoot for the information.

I ordered a Lee reloading book to read through before I plan my attack into the world of reloading. I will most likely get a single stage press as I like the idea of simplicity and a single stage seems like it would have the potential to be a better press to learn on compared to a progressive press.

Just my 2 cents worth, based on experience. The cheapest reloading equipment on earth is not the best quality. Spend a little extra money and get some better equipment other than Lee. I know it's tempting to buy cheap but you get what you pay for. Buy a good turret press if nothing else and you have the ability to move forward from single stage. Lee is junk compared to Hornady, Redding and other premium makers!
MOOSE EARS
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Re: Accuracy Issues

Postby Hoot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:45 pm

Bmt85 wrote:Your welcome.

Hoot thought I had an automatic powder measure, I don't, yet. I am still doing load work up for quite a few cartridges. I just throw a charge and measure each one. Definitely tedious, but I put up with it for now. Also still using a single stage press for the same reason. I don't reload high volume right now, so don't feel the need to spend the money. Besides, I find it easier to reload this way. If I do get a progressive, I will still keep the single stage, even if just for load workup.


I got confused between this thread and another one.

WRT brands of press. Keep in mind that there are several sub-models by just about every manufacturer. Despite some not only being less expensive but less performing, there are good choices in every product line. I said I have two single stage presses alongside one another. One is a Lee Classic Cast and the other is an RCBS Rock Chucker. Neither one gives up much to the other in terms of ruggedness or performance. Each has some unique, preferable characteristics to the other however. IIRC, you can get a Lee Classic Cast in one of their kits just like their less expensive presses come. That having been said, spending dough can be painful and Moose Ears is right. Buy the best you possibly can afford with the pain being tempered by its performance and longevity. For the record, my Classic Cast is over 10 years old, so I can't say with certainty that the current production ones are of the same build quality. A day rarely passes where I don't see some product having its quality reduced to keep price the same (or less) than they were in the past. That unfortunate mentality is not unique to any manufacturer, regardless of their name.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4053
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Accuracy Issues

Postby lovetohunt93 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:31 am

MOOSE EARS wrote:
lovetohunt93 wrote:Thank you Bmt85 and Hoot for the information.

I ordered a Lee reloading book to read through before I plan my attack into the world of reloading. I will most likely get a single stage press as I like the idea of simplicity and a single stage seems like it would have the potential to be a better press to learn on compared to a progressive press.

Just my 2 cents worth, based on experience. The cheapest reloading equipment on earth is not the best quality. Spend a little extra money and get some better equipment other than Lee. I know it's tempting to buy cheap but you get what you pay for. Buy a good turret press if nothing else and you have the ability to move forward from single stage. Lee is junk compared to Hornady, Redding and other premium makers!


Funny you mention Redding as I was really eyeballing some of their presses, specifically this one: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/70937 ... age-press#

I am not sure if I could justify they cost of their turret press however. Its $320 and for the quantity of rounds I plan on producing, I am not sure if the extra cost would be necessary. Although, plans do change and I might be kicking myself later for not getting a turret style press. I see some tough choices in my future. lol
lovetohunt93
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Re: Accuracy Issues

Postby Hoot » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:19 am

lovetohunt93 wrote:
MOOSE EARS wrote:
lovetohunt93 wrote:Thank you Bmt85 and Hoot for the information.

I ordered a Lee reloading book to read through before I plan my attack into the world of reloading. I will most likely get a single stage press as I like the idea of simplicity and a single stage seems like it would have the potential to be a better press to learn on compared to a progressive press.

Just my 2 cents worth, based on experience. The cheapest reloading equipment on earth is not the best quality. Spend a little extra money and get some better equipment other than Lee. I know it's tempting to buy cheap but you get what you pay for. Buy a good turret press if nothing else and you have the ability to move forward from single stage. Lee is junk compared to Hornady, Redding and other premium makers!


Funny you mention Redding as I was really eyeballing some of their presses, specifically this one: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/70937 ... age-press#

I am not sure if I could justify they cost of their turret press however. Its $320 and for the quantity of rounds I plan on producing, I am not sure if the extra cost would be necessary. Although, plans do change and I might be kicking myself later for not getting a turret style press. I see some tough choices in my future. lol


Midway has the Rock Chucker Supreme on sale right now for $138.00 and RCBS is offering a $25 rebate on top of that. That's a pretty good deal. The $25 will more than cover the cost of shipping.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4053
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Accuracy Issues

Postby Thom28 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:06 pm

As Hoot and Moose Ears have stated, often the cheapest press will be no bargain. Back in 1971 when I first began reloading, I bought a cheap press. Can't even remember the name of it now. It caused me nothing but headaches, so much so that I didn't know if I would ever be able to master reloading metallic cartridges.
When I had the extra money, I bought an RCBS Rockchucker press and have never looked backed. That press is still going strong after almost 50 years. RCBS Customer Service has been great if I did have a problem. I use this press to reload all my rifle reloads and 460 S&W handgun reloads.
I do have a Hornady Lock N Load progressive press for my other handgun reloads.
I don't think you can go wrong with RCBS, Hornady, or Redding single stage press.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
User avatar
Thom28
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:32 pm
Location: S.E. Michigan

Re: Accuracy Issues

Postby plant_one » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:17 pm

i load almost everything on my hornady LNL progressive - however i do often skip the powder dispenser and throw charges with my RCBS chargemaster. This allows me to do my load development on the press and then once i'm ready to load in bulk - i set the dispenser and rock and roll.


i do want to get a LNL Single stage at some point, just so that i can do certain work there, like doing a quick ladder for testing without doing the whole caliber changeover. i do currently still have my Lee Breech Lock press on the bench, but unfortunatly it doesnt accept the hornady LNL bushings, so it doesnt see much use except as a host for my quick trim dies.


I do agree that having a midgrade press to start with would be nice, but if you're on a budget grab the lee breech lock anniversary kit on sale and you'll be making ammo in no time. These come on sale for under $120 several times a year too.



if at some point you do decide to go progressive - thats the time to really save up and not try to cheap out.
User avatar
plant_one
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:58 pm
Location: Oakland County, MI

Re: Accuracy Issues

Postby lovetohunt93 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:31 am

Half of me wants to get the Redding Turret press while the other half just wants a normal single stage press to save some money. Although Brownells has the Redding Turret on sale and has free shipping on orders over $100 right now :D

What is everyone using to weigh their powder on? I see there is a ton of different options with these with vastly ranging prices.
Also, do you guys use a hand primer or the little primer arms that usually come with the press?
lovetohunt93
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Re: Accuracy Issues

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:25 am

lovetohunt93 wrote:Half of me wants to get the Redding Turret press while the other half just wants a normal single stage press to save some money. Although Brownells has the Redding Turret on sale and has free shipping on orders over $100 right now :D

What is everyone using to weigh their powder on? I see there is a ton of different options with these with vastly ranging prices.
Also, do you guys use a hand primer or the little primer arms that usually come with the press?


Stop frittering and get the RockChucker deal mentioned 4 posts back, before the offer expires!

For powder weighing and dispensing, I use a Lyman 1200 DPS 3. You can catch them on sale from time to time. I have it situated close to my two single stage presses. In the time it takes to seat (press 1) and then crimp (press 2) a 450b load, the scale has dispensed the charge for the next one at the touch of a button. Easy to get a "groove" going, which helps speed up the process. The Lyman and I'm betting other digital dispensing scales, are sensitive to cellphones being near them. Some say fluorescent lights also, but I've never experience that. My fixtures are well grounded. I leave the phone outside the shop room door, leading in from the basement. I can still hear it ring over the stereo if I am expecting a call or text message. More often than not, I'm in the shop to escape phones as much as the Mrs baying loudly with her sisters on speaker. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4053
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests