Bushmaster Upper, float tube issue

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Bushmaster Upper, float tube issue

Postby skinner 2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:53 pm

Just completed working on my 450 AR, Bushmaster complete upper 20 inch.
Once I added a bipod I noticed The sling stud, is not perfectly at the bottom and with the bipod fully retracted the gun rests on a decent angle. I know it can be adjusted out by a leg but I should not have to do that.

Am I able to loosen the forearm tube and adjust this out? If so how???
450lean.jpg
Lean
450lean.jpg (59.66 KiB) Viewed 7752 times

tube.jpg
tube
tube.jpg (104.14 KiB) Viewed 7752 times

Skinner
skinner 2

Re: Bushmaster Upper, float tube issue

Postby MOOSE EARS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Yes you can. Loosen the knurled ring at the rear of the hand guard and roll the handguard into alignment. Then re-tighten the knurled ring. You may need a piece of leather and channel lock pliers to loosen the knurled ring. Hold the hand guard and pull downward on the ring from the side you show in the picture and it will loosen. Pretty easy fix.
MOOSE EARS

Postby Hoot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 pm

MOOSE EARS wrote:Yes you can. Loosen the knurled ring at the rear of the hand guard and roll the handguard into alignment. Then re-tighten the knurled ring. You may need a piece of leather and channel lock pliers to loosen the knurled ring. Hold the hand guard and pull downward on the ring from the side you show in the picture and it will loosen. Pretty easy fix.

+1

I've only seen that on my 450b upper. I wish they all had that feature, or better yet, a hex nut instead of knurled.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby skinner 2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Ok thanks. Got her straight and level now.

Thanks

Skinner
skinner 2

Postby plant_one » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:41 pm

this is why i prefer foreends/rails that index off the receiver. none of thise out of alignment nonsense to deal with :)
plant_one

Postby skinner 2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:24 pm

plant_one wrote:this is why i prefer foreends/rails that index off the receiver. none of thise out of alignment nonsense to deal with :)

I was not aware of this issue.. until a couple days ago. LOL

Skinner
skinner 2

Postby plant_one » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:14 am

skinner 2 wrote:
plant_one wrote:this is why i prefer foreends/rails that index off the receiver. none of thise out of alignment nonsense to deal with :)

I was not aware of this issue.. until a couple days ago. LOL

Skinner

i ran into the problem on a DPMS LR308 upper which uses a similar style handguard, but without the jam nut, a few years back. some hillybilly gunsmith just put some blue locktite on the threads and index it before it came into my posession :o :roll: :roll: doesnt help that its also a DPMS high-rise upper that no aftermarket handguard mates to. drove me freaking nuts.
plant_one

Return to AR15 Style Rifles