GLFA Upper, finally made it to the range

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

GLFA Upper, finally made it to the range

Postby Pipefitter172 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:45 am

About 3 weeks ago I made the trip to Sparta, Michigan and plunked down the cash to buy a 450 upper, 18" stainless steel barrel. Also bought a few mags and several boxes of Hornady Black ammo. A visit to Opticsplanet.com got me a Vortex Diamondback scope and rings for a decent price. Mounted the scope and then the head cold from the devil set in, couldn't make it to the range until Saturday the 21st. I put up targets at 50 & 100 yards, loaded one round in the mag and click!!!! Well, maybe I didn't chamber the round, worked the charging handle and ejected a live round without any marks whatsoever on the primer. Broke the rifle down, pulled the bolt and then the firing pin.

The firing pin had the tip milled off! Luckily I had a 556 AR in the truck that I took a good firing pin out of so the trip was not wasted. I went through a box of ammo getting the rifle sighted in and was happy with 1" - 3 shot groups at the end.

This morning I made a call to GLFA and explained the situation and they told me they were waiting on the call, seems that they had ground off a firing pin to test new uppers with and somehow the "testing firing pin" got put into my upper without noticing it. A new firing pin and a complimentary box of ammo is in the mail to me now, at no charge.
Pipefitter172

Re: GLFA Upper, finally made it to the range

Postby Thom28 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:17 pm

Unfortunate, but I would call that good Customer Service. What size scope did you put on it?
Have fun with it.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby Pipefitter172 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:51 pm

For now I put a 3-9 scope on it, Though by deer season I will probably go with something like a 2-7 or maybe a straight 4x on it. After all, I won't be shooting prairie dogs at 400+yards with it.

Woodchucks at 150 yards maybe......................... be interesting to see what a 45 caliber bullet would do to a medium sized varmit.
Pipefitter172

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Pipefitter172 wrote:For now I put a 3-9 scope on it, Though by deer season I will probably go with something like a 2-7 or maybe a straight 4x on it. After all, I won't be shooting prairie dogs at 400+yards with it.

Woodchucks at 150 yards maybe......................... be interesting to see what a 45 caliber bullet would do to a medium sized varmint.

There's no disgrace in putting a high magnification scope on it for testing loads. Its supposed to be a test of the ammo, not your eyes. I have a 24x on mine for load testing at 100 yds. "Aim small, miss small." For hunting, I've found a quality 3-9xbig to be just right. Mostly have it set on 3x in the northwoods where I hunt, but the extra magnification comes in handy if I have the time to zoom in. Ooh, those are antlers! ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Pipefitter172 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:36 pm

A few years back with my muzzleloader that had a 3-9 scope on it on opening morning, looking through the scope and talking to myself.

Left side, 1,2,3,4,5 right side, 1,2,3,4,5 BOOM! take a pic and text my boss.......
Pipefitter172

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:07 am

I’m with Hoot on this. If I’m target shooting, minimum 8x. Hunting scopes, don’t need it, but can be nice if you need to stretch it a bit. For the most part I run a 3-9x, for hunting.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:25 am

Pipefitter172 wrote:A few years back with my muzzleloader that had a 3-9 scope on it on opening morning, looking through the scope and talking to myself.

Left side, 1,2,3,4,5 right side, 1,2,3,4,5 BOOM! take a pic and text my boss.......

Would you believe, in my state, if you take advantage of the longer muzzle loading season, in keeping with the philosophy of "ancient weapons", you can't use a scope, but you can if you choose to use a muzzle loader during modern cartridge rifle season. Some things are too pure to the concept. When I first began bow hunting here, you couldn't use a mechanical release either. Same reasoning: If you want to take advantage of the long bow hunting season, you have to be pure to the concept. I don't fault them however. Careful management has lead to a good herd size and big 'uns too. No need to hunt them over bait. IIRC, once you hit a certain age, like 60 or 65, you can use a scope on muzzle loaders. The declining numbers of baby boomer hunters nationwide is having an impact upon funds to pay for conservation, which comes from a portion of your hunting license cost. They want more hunters, despite the image that gun owners are getting painted with recently.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Pipefitter172 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:31 am

Hoot wrote:
Pipefitter172 wrote:A few years back with my muzzleloader that had a 3-9 scope on it on opening morning, looking through the scope and talking to myself.

Would you believe, in my state, if you take advantage of the longer muzzle loading season, in keeping with the philosophy of "ancient weapons", you can't use a scope, but you can if you choose to use a muzzle loader during modern cartridge rifle season. Some things are too pure to the concept. When I first began bow hunting here, you couldn't use a mechanical release either. Same reasoning: If you want to take advantage of the long bow hunting season, you have to be pure to the concept. I don't fault them however. Careful management has lead to a good herd size and big 'uns too. No need to hunt them over bait. IIRC, once you hit a certain age, like 60 or 65, you can use a scope on muzzle loaders. The declining numbers of baby boomer hunters nationwide is having an impact upon funds to pay for conservation, which comes from a portion of your hunting license cost. They want more hunters, despite the image that gun owners are getting painted with recently.

Hoot

Let me clarify this a little bit; In southern Michigan (roughly south of Grand Rapids) the regular firearm season for deer is shotgun, handguns and rifles using straight walled cases, and muzzleloaders. No restriction on scopes. Regular season runs from Nov 15-30, then muzzleloader runs Dec 2-12, then a late doe season from Dec13-31.
Pipefitter172

Return to AR15 Style Rifles