Input needed on my 450 bushmaster hunting rifle upper build

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Input needed on my 450 bushmaster hunting rifle upper build

Postby isuhunter » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:49 am

Looking at doing a .450 bushmaster [balance between budget and quality] UPPER only build quick before deer season here in Iowa.

Upper Reciever: AERO XL

Barrels:
FAXON 16” on sale at Brownells on sale or Brownells barrel kit

Gas block:
.875” gas block needed - what do you guys recommend

BCG:
Can I just switch the bolt in my existing carrier by using the brownells kit?

Magazine:
What magazines do you guys use?
isuhunter

Re: Input needed on my 450 bushmaster hunting rifle upper bu

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:15 am

When does deer season start for you?

For a quick build that is still moderately priced, I would say (off the top of my head) Tromix, Gryphon Trading, or maybe Satern. Reason I say those is because they have been around longer and they require little work (if any) to get running. They also produce very good results. Gryphon is $330 for a barrel, bolt, and muzzle device. Tromix is $300 for barrel and bolt, another $20 for thread protector or $60-65 for one of their muzzle devices. Obsidian arms has one 18" Satern with stainless finish and bolt for $283.50 and another $9 for a thread protector, or $80 for a brake. Obsidian also has black teflon finished Satern's for $297. I would stick with one of those. The Brownells melonite 450B is newer and I have yet to see anyone running one. I also am not a fan of the 1:14 twist rate, and I also don't prefer the carbine gas length (not a huge problem, as I own a 16" barrel with carbine length gas system). I believe mid-length is much better. From what I have mentioned, I only own the Tromix, and love it. I almost bought a Gryphon instead of my Tromix, because it also had good reviews and they are made in my state. Tromix won out because of a sale, and I wanted something a little lighter at the time. As to the Satern's, a couple years back there seemed to be a surge of people buying them. I don't remember any issues with those, and accuracy seemed to be inline with the Gryphon's and Tromix's.

Gas block is whatever size you need. As to which type, I prefer SLR set screw blocks because you can order one of there jigs and have it done right in a matter of 10min. They do cost more, though. Cheapest is going to be a clamp-on type block. You have to make sure you get it lined up properly, or you could end up with cycling issues. They aren't that hard to install properly, though.

All 450B bolt's will swap in regular BCG's.

For magazines, I use Bushmaster factory, and ASC for the most part. Brenton's are suppose to be the best, but I have yet to try one. You could modify/convert 5.56 mags, but that will take time to tweak. I have modified a couple 5.56 mags, and they work, but I really recommend 450 specific mags. I personally won't try Stoner mags, because I'm not a fan of there quality, and so far some people have had issues with them.
Bmt85

Postby Hoot » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:49 am

For the record, ASC is the OEM that makes AR Stoner mags for Midway and a lot of other re-brand companies. There could be different quality standards implemented depending upon the wholesale price however. I have used various brands of either dedicated 450b mags or modded with the addition of a SS Follower from our group buy several years back. They all needed a tweak or two. The only factory mags I didn't have to do anything to get running like a sewing machine was the Brenton (formerly Bartz) one and surprisingly a factory 30 RAR mag that came with the gun, but it looks nothing like any of the other mags usually seen in a 450b.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby dantheman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:20 am

I use a modified ASC 5.56, 10 round magazine in my 450 Bushmaster. It's now a 3 rounder. Feeds better than the factory mag that came with the upper.

Dan
dantheman

Postby Buckeye45 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:11 pm

The Lancer AWF mags work great with no modifications. I run the 10 round mags. They hold 4 450s. In Ohio we can only run 3 in the magazine for any rifle. Best part is it's short so doesn't hand up on stuff. It's what I use to hunt.
Buckeye45

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Hoot wrote:For the record, ASC is the OEM that makes AR Stoner mags for Midway and a lot of other re-brand companies. There could be different quality standards implemented depending upon the wholesale price however. I have used various brands of either dedicated 450b mags or modded with the addition of a SS Follower from our group buy several years back. They all needed a tweak or two. The only factory mags I didn't have to do anything to get running like a sewing machine was the Brenton (formerly Bartz) one and surprisingly a factory 30 RAR mag that came with the gun, but it looks nothing like any of the other mags usually seen in a 450b.

Hoot

That's interestring. I had a couple Stoner's (5.56 mags) that were junk, a couple friends tried them in various calibers, and most were junk. I haven't personally tried there 450B mags, but know a couple guys that had issues beyond minor tweaking. You could be right about differing QC. I wonder, has ASC always made Stoner's mags?
Bmt85

Postby 303hunter » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:21 pm

I took a chance and bought an XXTREME 18” mid length 450 barrel from Delta Team Tactical. Paired it with an Aero XL upper, Toolcraft BCG, and KAW Valley linear comp. After a few break in shots it gave me one ragged hole with 13 rounds at 100 yards. Don’t know who makes these barrels, but I’m impressed.
303hunter

Return to AR15 Style Rifles