BCA 16" Carbine Length complete upper Issues

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

BCA 16" Carbine Length complete upper Issues

Postby Greymatter » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:45 pm

I purchased a complete upper before ohio gun season. @ $196.00 shipped I couldn't pass it up. I received it in the shop, cleaned the gunk out of it, and checked every screw for proper torque. Everything looks and checks out great. I picked up a factory Bushmaster mag (9 ish rounds fit) at a show, and went to the range. ( lurking for weeks here I brought along a Sig mag out of my 556 kit). Holy crap the issues: FTE, sooting, FTFeed. I cleaned every 10 rounds, and fired 3 types of ammo. Sig mag gave me the best results. The bushmaster mag is garbage imo. 1 box each of : Hornady Black, Remington Accutip, Hornady custom. I increased my rifle buffer weight to 6.1 ounces trying to retard the bcg a little and still had unsatisfactory results on the last 10 rounds. Accuracy is awesome with both Hornady types, and I've taken 2 deer with it already. This weekend is Ohio's bonus gun weekend. Any suggestions on where to go from here?
Greymatter

Re: BCA 16" Carbine Length complete upper Issues

Postby Greymatter » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:47 pm

I've fired the rifle with just one round in the mag and bolt holds open 80% of the time. The biggest issue for me ( I have never had this happen with dozens of builds) is the stuck case in the chamber. Most times just tipping the rifle muzzle up and cycling clears it, but I have had to mortar 1 or 2 out. A second attempt does no good, the extractor won't hold. It looks to be ok. I prepped the reciever and action by working 40-40-40 with cleaning after each 40 before I even fired it . It's like I'm having gas issues on the low and high side :? . Any help would be appreciated
Greymatter

Postby Greymatter » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:49 pm

I've fired the rifle with just one round in the mag and bolt holds open 80% of the time. The biggest issue for me ( I have never had this happen with dozens of builds) is the stuck case in the chamber. Most times just tipping the rifle muzzle up and cycling clears it, but I have had to mortar 1 or 2 out. A second attempt does no good, the extractor won't hold. It looks to be ok. I prepped the reciever and action by working 40-40-40 with cleaning after each 40 before I even fired it . It's like I'm having gas issues on the low and high side :? . Ejection is @3 o'clock. Any help would be appreciated
Greymatter

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Recent Related Thread.

Maybe its time we all threw in a few bucks and bought a set of 450b Go/No Go Gauges from PTD, that we could loan out to members.

just sayin'...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby warthog984 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:52 pm

I had a similar issue with a 9mm build. Mine only did it with certain ammo and on the first round fired when the gun was cold. I was shooting it during Ohio winter and it was pretty cold out. The fact that you have to mortar the spent case out makes me think the chamber has a bur or is pretty tight. I am not sure where you bought it but I would see about having the manufacture fix it. I had the barrel in my 9mm changed out and it works now. I hate to tell people to polish chamber unless they know not to remove any material. I always feel more comfortable having it warrantied out.

Did this upper come with the bolt? Was it head spaced? For $200 for a complete unit would have shied me away. Who was the vendor?

If you are concerned about over gassing, it would more than likely be throwing cases to the 1 o clock position rather than 3 o clock.

How smoothly does the bolt move in the receiver? Can you feel any binding?

What does your brass look like? Is it shinny or dull? Are you seeing an extractor marks on the brass. Are you seeing any ejector marks on the brass?

Sounds like only factory ammo and you played around with different manufactures. I read several reviews of the Ruger American in 450BM and there was a bunch of people talking about hard to cycle bolts. One reviewed said Hornady gave him issues and Winchester did not. Hard to say though.
warthog984

Postby Mort » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Sounds like it's probably a combination of several issues. Rough and or out of spec chamber, mags need a bit of tweaking, weak extractor spring, possible gas issue could all be issues. Can you post up some pics of your fired brass showing possible swipes, ejector marks and any scared or buggered rims and or side walls, etc.
Mort

Postby Buckeye45 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Try a Lancer AWF mag. I'm in Ohio too and use the 10 rd mags which hold 4 450s. We can only load 3 so good to go. No mods are needed and all of mine have worked just fine. And their relatively cheap if you look around.
I think the soothing is more of a product of the straight wall case. I get the same thing with my 44 and 45-70 rifles. Like you I'm getting ready for our bonus weekend so don't mess with it yet since you've obviously done ok so far. After season I would check the gas block to make sure that it is in alignment. I've had several builds that were frustrating only to find the gas block was just a fuzz off, thus fouling up everything.
sounds like you are close, just need a little spit and polish and deburring.
Buckeye45

Postby Greymatter » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:21 am

I'll update with some pics soon. I bought it directly from BCA. With it on sale for $249 dealer cost was $176.00 +shipping. I'm going to use the bore camera to check out the gas block before I take anything apart. I'll talk to BCA customer service in Monday and send them some pics aswell. I'm getting some wierd marks on the barrel where the bolt looks to be peening the surface. I'll document all of this with pics for the forum before I send anything back.
Greymatter

Postby Greymatter » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:52 pm

So I tried different mags, and had better luck with ftf and fte issues. However, I did find something troubling. My bolt is peening the breach face of the barrel :shock: . I have never seen this in an AR build.
Attachments
20181217_185102.jpg
20181217_185102.jpg (82.23 KiB) Viewed 10860 times
Greymatter

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:31 pm

Greymatter wrote:So I tried different mags, and had better luck with ftf and fte issues. However, I did find something troubling. My bolt is peening the breach face of the barrel :shock: . I have never seen this in an AR build.

That's looks very wrong! Not to add insult to injury but that chamber looks crudely cut. It should be smooth as glass.

I'd clean everything real good and send it back to the manufacturer.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles