BCA 16" Carbine Length complete upper Issues

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: BCA 16" Carbine Length complete upper Issues

Postby Greymatter » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:43 pm

That's the plan Hoot. I suspect it may have insufficient headspace aswell. The barrel is protruding out enough that the bolt is contacting. Either the chamber was cut to deep, or extension is out of spec and they tweaked it to "headspace". Here is another picture from the ejection port side.
Attachments
20181217_193722.jpg
20181217_193722.jpg (113.67 KiB) Viewed 8831 times
Greymatter

Postby Greymatter » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Hoot wrote:Recent Related Thread.

Maybe its time we all threw in a few bucks and bought a set of 450b Go/No Go Gauges from PTD, that we could loan out to members.

just sayin'...

Hoot

I'm good for a donation. I work as a smitty' but until i need my own set, I would wait to take a turn with them.
Greymatter

Postby 303hunter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:59 pm

From mine and several friends experiences, BCA quality control leaves a lot to be desired. I bought a $49.99 5.56 barrel a couple months ago, and it shot patterns instead of groups. They sent a shipping label, and I had a new barrel shortly. This one shot 2” groups with cheap 55gr FMJ. Their customer service is first rate, and they will make it right.
303hunter

Postby Billinthedesert » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:01 pm

Hmmm. Have the .450 fever, just registered today and was thinking about ordering a BCA upper, but this thread has me wondering if that's such a good idea. Sounds like they are hit and miss on QC.
Billinthedesert

Postby 303hunter » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Billinthedesert wrote:Hmmm. Have the .450 fever, just registered today and was thinking about ordering a BCA upper, but this thread has me wondering if that's such a good idea. Sounds like they are hit and miss on QC.

I believe most of their stuff is gtg. QC isn’t as good as higher priced companies, but that’s to be expected. If you don’t mind sending an upper back(at their expense), it may be worth the gamble. Quite a few have had good luck with BCA,
303hunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:35 am

Hoot wrote:
Greymatter wrote:So I tried different mags, and had better luck with ftf and fte issues. However, I did find something troubling. My bolt is peening the breach face of the barrel :shock: . I have never seen this in an AR build.

That's looks very wrong! Not to add insult to injury but that chamber looks crudely cut. It should be smooth as glass.

I'd clean everything real good and send it back to the manufacturer.

Hoot

+1
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby plant_one » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:14 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Hoot wrote:
Greymatter wrote:So I tried different mags, and had better luck with ftf and fte issues. However, I did find something troubling. My bolt is peening the breach face of the barrel :shock: . I have never seen this in an AR build.

That's looks very wrong! Not to add insult to injury but that chamber looks crudely cut. It should be smooth as glass.

I'd clean everything real good and send it back to the manufacturer.

Hoot

+1

and this is exactly why you just dont start gun plumbering a bought upper/gun!

never void your warranty until you have no other options - you never know what other problems you'll find with more digging that need to be addressed by the manufacturer!

good luck with things, i hope bca just steps up and sends you a fresh new upper
plant_one

Postby Greymatter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:40 pm

After waiting 8 days for a reply from Bear Creek C.S , they sent me a return label and mailed it back. Another 10 days and the ticket was closed and package hit the shop with a repair tag stating the barrel was replaced. It also had 3 fired cases in it. Let's see if this one has anymore issues. I just hope the bolt doesn't fail after slamming the barrel.
Greymatter

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:17 pm

Does your bolt look like anythings wrong with it? You should be ok, when the bolt is heat treated or case hardened properly (depends on material), it will be stronger than the barrel. Check it for any peening or cracks.
Bmt85

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles