Bear creek uppers

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Bear creek uppers

Postby plant_one » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:31 am

Billinthedesert wrote:I wonder if they are going to offer their .450 barrels hammer forged. They sure are making a big deal out of it with lesser calibers.

theyre targeting them at the high volume shooting calibers.

im sure given time they'll get more mandrils and offer a few more options. if i were to speculate 308 and/or 6.5CM will be next
plant_one

Postby TXRoadLizard » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:33 pm

I just picked up a Bear Creek Arsenal 18" side-charging 450BM upper. Put a competition brake on, cleaned the bore, and headed to a close 50-yard indoor range. Shot 20-rounds of Hornady Black and 5-rounds of Barnes Vor-TX. It would stack the Hornady Blacks, with 6 shots into a 1" square at 50-yards. It sprayed 5 shots of the Barnes into a 6" square. Definitely did NOT like that round. Zero FTF or FTE and fed fine out of both Duramag and ACS mags. I did run a scope down the barrel and what I saw reminded me of looking at a Savage barrel. Savage has taught me not predict accuracy by the way a barrel looks though, and this one shot really well with the Hornady Black ammo. I know QA/QC has been an issue with BCA, but it appears I got a good one, at least as far as I can say after 25 rounds. I will likely just stick with Hornady Black as I'br put down plenty of deer with FTX muzzle loader bullets. I have no trouble recommending BCA uppers based again on limited experience
I really am digging the side charge too.
TXRoadLizard

Postby Gerald D » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:39 am

Purchased a BCA 16" side charger about a year ago, accuracy is good for what it is, feeding problems and such had me taking it to my Gunsmith, he declared it badly over gassed with my Primal 46. Solution was a reducer insert for the gas tube. Need to get it back to the range for more testing. The suppressor makes a major difference in recoil.
Gerald D

Postby GaCop » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:48 am

Chiming in late but, I just purchased an 18" BCA side charging upper with the mid length gas system. I've been playing with the 450 in a bolt action I built two years ago but I've discovered a bolt action is not the way to go busting wild hogs, too slow for multiple hits, hence the changeover to semiauto. I know I won't be able to develop loads as warm as I was using in the stronger bolt action. In the bolt gun I was loading rounds as heavy as 425 grain WFNGC pushed to 1600 fps.
Vietnam Vet Jun 66 - Dec 67
GaCop

Postby GaCop » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:04 pm

My BCA 18" upper is super accurate. The biggest headache is freaking magazines. Based on what I've read on this site, I ordered a 20 round Duramag. It Arrived 3 days ago so took my rifle to the range to try it out. The Duramag turned out to be a POS. It either wouldn't feed rounds out of the mag or when it would strip a round from the mag, it jammed at a 45 degree angle. Even single loading just one round in the magazine, it would jam trying to chamber. I'm sending it back to Gun Mag Warehouse for a refund. I modified a standard military 20 round magazine by sanding an anti-tilt follower flat and removing 3 coils from the mag spring and IT functions better than the Duramag though I can only put four in the mag to keep rounds from jumping out the top of the mag. I have ordered a Tromix follower and a 20 round Lancer mag to try out.
GaCop

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:30 am

you trying to feed that WFN?
Al in Mi

Postby GaCop » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:47 am

Decided to fiddle with the Duramag instead of sending it back. I removed 2 coils from the mag spring and the transformation was amazing. I loaded six dummy rounds of WFN, FTX and cast GC/HP. I also polished the underside of the bolt carrier that picks up the rounds and it fed them all repeatedly.
GaCop

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles