500 OSSM

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

500 OSSM

Postby Siringo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:01 pm

Siringo

Re: 500 OSSM

Postby wildcatter » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:17 pm

Yea, Yea, Yea, dedicated upper receiver, made for all six or seven available bullets, and the pressures are going to be low, cause there just isn't enough steel surrounding the bullet, as the wulf guys found. I'll stick to the 450b, receiver is standard AR15 w/no mods and the hundreds of available bullets, can pump up the pressures, cause there are tons of steel around our case.

But interesting just the same.

I show the way and others will follow.

Thanks for the complement..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:46 pm

I agree ---450B enough for me!!!! But interesting to watch none the less.
Siringo

Postby Hoot » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:51 pm

wildcatter wrote:
I show the way and others will follow.

Thanks for the complement..

..t

With all due respect, isn't it appropriate to place a wink smilie or other indicator of jest when you jest?

I was truly looking forward to a serious discussion of the subject now that Siringo brought it to our attention.

I'm seriously hoping our web site doesn't turn into another "caliber Nazi" site, where no other caliber ever measures up. :|

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:33 pm

What I read on there was just conjecture and fiddle faddle... I never saw any ballistic stats or data or even a picture of the rifle or the round? Did I miss something? Maybe I need to go back and look again.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:What I read on there was just conjecture and fiddle faddle... I never saw any ballistic stats or data or even a picture of the rifle or the round? Did I miss something? Maybe I need to go back and look again.

I got that it's being developed and more information will be available as it solidifies. That having been said, I suspect they've already produced prototypes and ammo and are awaiting Hornady wading in with some dies. Not having to have a custom, read expensive die set made is a big factor in attracting potential customers. I'd expect to see Oly trickling out information as they get it, to keep interest from growing stale. Lately we've seen manufacturers shoot themselves in the foot by promoting a new product, then experiencing delays getting it to market and the shooting community consequentially moves on without it. When we have the plethora of new calibers du jour coming out seemingly, every month, it's hard to stay focused without metered doses of information. Remember, teasing a fish until it'll bite what you're offering, is half the challenge of lure fishing. ;)

I like the prospect of simple brass preparation and just having to cut off WSM brass doesn't get much easier. I've done the annealing, fireforming and resizing dance. It's painstaking. I'm glad its nt based upon re-purposing WSSM brass as the last two bags of Winchester 25 WSSM brass I bought when I was doing the 300 OSSM, were junk in terms of quality control. Each bag had something in the vicinity of 25% bad, read unusable product in them. That was the last straw. :(

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 9x19MdM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:13 pm

9x19MdM

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:42 pm

-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:16 am

Can it? Will it? Should it? Is that a zit I feel?
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:30 am

So......what's in the pipe today?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles