450 subsonic, and suppressed

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450 subsonic, and suppressed

Postby wildcatter » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

tridentarmory wrote:wc.... what are your thoughts on titegroup powder? ever tried it in ol thumper

I've used it, but it's way fast and will be hard to make the action work reliably with it, not impossible. Buuttt, if ya got it in stock, I'd definitely revisit it, if nothing else it'll give you a Base Line. The case will not be anywhere close to 100% fill, which is why I recently bought a bottle of Trail Boss, just to see how that super-bulky. I'm hoping for higher port pressures and near full cases..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:43 pm

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=719&p=5745&hilit=trail#p5745

Trail Boss will not work the action.
Siringo

Postby tridentarmory » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:27 pm

No to trailboss?..
I think i had one load that did run the guns with it, but ill have to check the old data at the bench...
i was only thinking titegriup because i have so much... problem is, once you make a starting point with ammo on a project like this, you have married into something that causes its own list of variables, and there could always be a better option. I want the right load i guess. I did swedge down a whole batch of. 458 450bullets grain sp projectile i found i in. A drawer... that should be a nice middle weight size to start with.
tridentarmory

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Light charges of Lil Gun, a one-ply toiler paper disk separator and grits filler works also.

Cutting the disks perfect is relatively easy. I just take a case that had shrunk too far and sharpen the mouth. I then chuck it in a Lee Lockstud and spin it in a drill pressing down on the sheet of toilet paper backed by a sheet of rubber. You can crank a couple a dozen in less than a minute. I drop the charge, drop in a disk with a tweezer so it is flat over the powder, tamp it lightly with the butt of a 7/16 drill bit to flatten out the charge, fill with grits to where the base of the bullet stops, tamp it again and seat the bullet. Very consistent results.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby tridentarmory » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:40 am

WOW... SOUNDS GREAT. What are the or have ther been any studies as to the long term affect of grits or other media fillers either molding or contaminating the powder, is there high risk of causing gas port and tube issues by filling things with "grits"...?
Of couse itd have to be a "super-grit" to plug the pressures of the gas system nonetheless.
ill be trying this tonight and shooting through a chrony with various loads...
Bummer im fresh out of grits, but ill be running oatmeal for the test!
tridentarmory

Postby tridentarmory » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:46 am

Great thread links guys, thx... ill be all over this by tomorrow morning... ive opened up the gas system a smidge and ive relieved some simple baffles on one of our cans to handle the 45hollowpoints cal stuff... enough at least so i will know where to go from here...
Im not expecting perfection with the first setup...
tridentarmory

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:52 am

.....shooting grits out of your rifles..... Shame on yawl!
EAT THEM SUCKERS!! Yummy!!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:12 pm

tridentarmory wrote:WOW... SOUNDS GREAT. What are the or have ther been any studies as to the long term affect of grits or other media fillers either molding or contaminating the powder, is there high risk of causing gas port and tube issues by filling things with "grits"...?
Of couse itd have to be a "super-grit" to plug the pressures of the gas system nonetheless.
ill be trying this tonight and shooting through a chrony with various loads...
Bummer im fresh out of grits, but ill be running oatmeal for the test!

I must say, despite what you might expect, the grits go out the barrel, not back through the gas system. Unlike when I fireform brass with just the grits and a Styrofoam end plug, they don't build up around the throat either. Now here's a caveat though. I rarely shot more than 20 rounds in a sitting and second, they were almost always light bullets at high velocity, not those bowling balls the subsonic enthusiasts like to chuck. The throat and bore were actually cleaner after a grits session than average, but did not show signs that the grits abraded the chrome lining. YMMV.

FWIW, you could not pay me to shoot oatmeal in the same way. Never tried it, but in my gut, it doesn't sound prudent. Not that grits were designed for that role either. ;)

Grits, as much fun to shoot as it is to eat!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby tridentarmory » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:21 pm

haha :D :D :D

this is hysterical....

ok, maybe ill switch to some bread crumbs and aim at one of my wifes pieces of steak on the grill while i do it....

im sure oatmeal will be dirtier, but im going to use it just as a simple test... think cornmeal would be better?
tridentarmory

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:40 pm

Just use salt and pepper and shoot squirrels. That way, you can kill, clean, and season all at the same time.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles