Lets talk magazines and mods

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Lets talk magazines and mods

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:04 pm

Yo, Wicked...just a suggestion, but...from the looks of the loaded mag there, you might want to tweak the feed lips a little tighter together toward the boolit end, so that the rounds sit more level in relation to the bore. The pics look like they're pointed slightly upward, which is a known feed reliability problem from previous experience and posts here. Jus' sayin'...

This has been accomplished previously by placing the mag, feed lips down, on a hard surface, and carefully/evenly pushing down on the forward edges of them, which will roll them toward each other. Its a "feel" thing, on how hard to push, and several very slight adjustments are better than trying to smash them down all at once. Just enough to get the top round sitting level.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Wicked Hunter » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:43 am

Thanks for noticing the rounds sitting nose high. The picture was taken with 8 rounds stuffed in the mag. They actually sit pretty level until you put the 7th and 8th round in there, its just to much spring pressure with that many in there. Thats why i figured i'll probably load 5 or 6 and be happy.
Wicked Hunter

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Cool...you have a handle on it.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Wicked Hunter wrote:Thanks for noticing the rounds sitting nose high. The picture was taken with 8 rounds stuffed in the mag. They actually sit pretty level until you put the 7th and 8th round in there, its just to much spring pressure with that many in there. Thats why i figured i'll probably load 5 or 6 and be happy.

...or take a few turns off the spring. I'm not familiar with those mags, so I'm speaking out of ignorance. Seems like more often than not, a lot of the mags I mess with, have heavy handed springs. Just a thought. At least now, I know what a Lancer mag looks like. Kind of an eclectic blend of materials. ;)

The metal lips are a definite plus for the reason Commander Fascisto mentioned.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Wicked Hunter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:01 am

Lancer Mags fed flawlesly! I agree that there is probably enough pressure to remove some spring and still be able to lock the bolt back. I'll have to try that next time im out. It even fed with 8 rounds stuffed in it. The only issue i had and i dont think its mag related is i 2 rounds that didnt strip off they just stopped the bolt in its tracks. I'm gonna look into a heavier buffer spring as i think mine is a little week. I could see it being the mag if it had 7 or 8 rounds in it when it happened, but both times it happened there were only 2 or 3 left in the mag.
Wicked Hunter

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:42 am

Wicked Hunter wrote:...snip 2 rounds that didn't strip off they just stopped the bolt in its tracks...snip

That screams Lips!.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Wicked Hunter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:54 am

I will tweek them a bit more. but i was having trouble with my 223 upper making its way into full battery as well. So i'm do for a new spring regardless. I'm still using the stock spring that came with the RR rifle im sure a stiffer one will help with alot of things.
Wicked Hunter

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:14 am

Wicked Hunter wrote:I will tweek them a bit more. but i was having trouble with my 223 upper making its way into full battery as well. So i'm do for a new spring regardless. I'm still using the stock spring that came with the RR rifle im sure a stiffer one will help with alot of things.

In case it was missed, I use an RRA NM lower for my 450b and several other caliber uppers. It has the stock spring. Don't confuse lack of break-in with a weak spring. Parkerizing and it's relatives has a lot of friction component in them. Selective and precise polishing on key spots can have a phenomenal effect on ease of engagement. It's as much art as science, but armed with a sharpie as an indicator and a dremel with some cratex wheels and/or a few buffing fobs and polish can make it all come together more smoothly. The process is sometimes referred to as "melting off" although that is usually an expression of the process carried out to a greater degree. Hence the sharp edges take on the appearance of having been melted. In the case of the barrel extension, it can eliminate the tortured look your (expensive) brass takes on after a few reload cycles from dragging across unnecessarily sharp edges. Smoothing the underside of your feed lips is an example. YMMV

Hoot
Last edited by Hoot on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoot

Postby Wicked Hunter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:04 pm

Thanks for the input Hoot. You have a good point.
Wicked Hunter

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles