Ross Brakes--How much louder are they and are they effective

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Ross Brakes--How much louder are they and are they effec

Postby wildcatter » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:41 am

bushmeister wrote:When we did the muzzle brake season two years ago, (I don't think the Ross brake was available at the time) we measured with a decibel meter, the noise level of brakeless, izzy, jp, and one other I can't remember. basically the brakes that reduced recoil were about 20dB louder. I believe the rule of thumb is every 10 dB is equal to be perceived as twice as loud. We really need to link all of those threads together with at least a link to each other, because that was some good data. One thing I won't forget was the pressure wave from those brakes hitting me in the face, rather undesirable. I chose to attack recoil with a recoil-less stock and a limbsaver for that reason alone. I'll try to find that thread, but so far, I've come up empty.

Nope, it's 3db and it doubles so a 20db rise is 6.66 times more noise, OUCH!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:24 am

Yeah.... Well. It may be loud, but the Ross Brake works. Mine will not be coming off except during PMs.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Your right dawg, one can always mitigate the noise. I have a set of ear muffs, that blank out the shot, but enhances the Forrest noises, kinda the best of three worlds..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:40 pm

You bet and anyway, it's too late for me. I spent way too much time around fire engines and sirens right above my head and with all the firearms shooting and Ted Nugent concerts, my ears are toast. 70% loss in the left and 14% loss in the right according to the United States Army doctors that failed me during my physical back in 94.
I live with substantial tinitus in my left ear 24/7/365.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jeepejeep » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:You bet and anyway, it's too late for me. I spent way too much time around fire engines and sirens right above my head and with all the firearms shooting and Ted Nugent concerts, my ears are toast. 70% loss in the left and 14% loss in the right according to the United States Army doctors that failed me during my physical back in 94.
I live with substantial tinitus in my left ear 24/7/365.

Me too mostly from working around steam turbines for over 30 years. I have the same type muffs that WC has and they work great but get uncomfortable after a while when hunting.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby gunnut » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:07 pm

That's what that noise in my head is!! Rock concerts!!.... I thought it was 35 years of industrial environment :lol:
gunnut

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Gunny..... Geesh..... A Rock Concert IS an Industrial Environment! :roll:
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby helidude350 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:44 pm

Huh? ;)
helidude350

Postby ebusa » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:43 pm

I noticed reduced recoil and even tighter groups with my Ross brake! It looks real nasty too! Every time I take it to the range someone asks me about my thumper and wants to see the round. Loud and proud lol
--Evan
ebusa

Postby wildcatter » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:09 am

ebusa wrote:I noticed reduced recoil and even tighter groups with my Ross brake! It looks real nasty too! Every time I take it to the range someone asks me about my thumper and wants to see the round. Loud and proud lol

It's true and the ARMY long ago established that a brake/flash hider, when properly constructed, can and does improve accuracy. The NM brakes for the M14 have an internal angle/slope of 10°. However, different calibers require different internals..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles