Whats your best group with the 450?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Whats your best group with the 450?

Postby Wicked Hunter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:39 am

I agree. Tight groups are not comletely necessary, but like Hoot stated it keeps it interesting. I also like the fact of knowing that if my load can shoot this good at 100yds its going to do well at 200 and so on. I also occassionally carry my 450 coyote hunting with me, simply because it is so much lighter than my Rock River 20" varminter. So in that case the accuracy surely isnt gonna hurt things any, as coyote have a much smaller kill zone. (ok comence the flaming for using a 450 on coyotes :lol: )
Wicked Hunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:26 am

It was only at 50 yards... With factory rounds.
But.....
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bushmeister » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Man, I smell a contest coming up..... If we just knew someone with some prizes and had a few rules :roll:
bushmeister

Postby B swift » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:01 pm

There is certainly something to be said for tight groups! You guys are real marksmen! :)

I'm wondering what would be the smallest target we might attempt off hand>? Improvised rest?

Sights matter! (Leaning on a tree.) I took a nice mule deer years ago with a humble 30-30 and open sights. He was beyond 350 yards. The front sight covered the whole chest and then some. I leveled it off on the forward of his back and squeezed the trigger. The shot went through his lower chest and took out the heart! I estimate it fell more than two feet on the way there and drifted slightly (I mean left) of my POA. The buck went about twenty feet and fell dead.

I walked it off several times and still hesitate to tell the tail because I've been called stupid and a liar. It shouldn't be too hard to fathom for folks who've shot so much? I'll grant you it was beyond reason and highly unlikely but I did it.

Wouldn't try it again. I consider it one of many stupid things I attempted in my youth. Overconfidence is a weakness. Knowing your limitations is priceless.

I once saw a friend of mine shoot a running buck with MY gun. ( Model 94 ) dumped all 8 rounds. We found him at the bottom of a steep ravine (cliff) he fell about 120 feet. We tried to save some meat and found fourteen holes. 8 entry and 6 exit. It was fairly shot up but it only took a few seconds. And I thought HE was a "nut"? At least six of those were "critical" wounds. Two we won't mention... ;)
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:01 am

In archery, we used to shoot at ping pong balls at 60 yards. With Thumper, how's about a softball at 400?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:20 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:...snip... With Thumper, how's about a softball at 400?

The companies that make reloading supplies that we use and Hornady would certainly like that contest. Not that they need to add to their sales uptick in the fourth quarter, but more money is always welcome. ;)

Seriously, before attempting, make sure your scope has 25 MOA of vertical adjustment to deal with the 8 1/2 ft. drop (factory ammo) or else you're gong to have to shim the rear ring. Once you get that dialed in, most scopes can deal with the 4 ft. wind drift in a 10 mph slight breeze, assuming it doesn't vary along the way, or blow harder. If you put up enough wind flags along the way, you can always go for having your spotters call the timing. :lol:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Okay, to show no ill will towards organized female sports, instead of a softball, how about clay pigeons at 400?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby B swift » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:14 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Okay, to show no ill will towards organized female sports, instead of a softball, how about clay pigeons at 400?

I have a bin of Baby Boo (mini pumpkins) Will those work? :P
I really need to get to a real shooting range and spend some quality time with my bushy! I doubt I'll be shooting more than three hundred yards though. :?
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby Wicked Hunter » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Unfortunately my range is limited to 300 yds. Anything past that and i'd have to shoot accross a road. I've got a couple more boxes of the 200gr XPB on the way from Midway, When i get some more loaded up I'll get them zeroed and over the chrony. This is the first load i've had shoot so far off center but i'm willing to move the scope for groups like that.
Wicked Hunter

Postby etijsma » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:51 pm

heres my best at 150 yds.
Attachments
2012-03-19173740.jpg
2012-03-19173740.jpg (44.21 KiB) Viewed 9068 times
etijsma

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles