Plum Crazy poly AR lowers...

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Plum Crazy poly AR lowers...

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:23 pm

bushmeister wrote:OK, I've done a little searching since my last post... First, I didn't realize that Plum Crazy was a brand. I just thought it was part of DU's South Louisiana jargon as in "Budreaux is plum crazy fo rasslin that gator". So I did a little more searching and read plenty of positive comments on the Plum Crazy lower, most from the varmint hunting crowd 204, 556, etc. I then started looking at the cavalry arms lowers, as I have to agree, a one piece stock/lower should be stronger. The first site I pulled up was this one... http://www.cavalryarms.com/MKII.html It appears they have quit making these? anyone know the story? Sorry if I'm hijacking, but it is somewhat related to the original topic.

One available here: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=172718969
Wonder who bought them?
Warranty repair and service of the CAV-15s in circulation will be covered by the purchaser of the CAV-15 product line.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby thebrassnuckles » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:39 am

2zero6 wrote:
thebrassnuckles wrote:awww man totally not what I was expecting... I was hoping I could get a plum AR to match my plum AK ;)

You can get one here: http://ar15woodstocks.com/

i was talking about the bulgarian plum plastic furniture, it was the soviet union's first attempt at black furniture, but it ended up coming out purple.. :lol:
thebrassnuckles

Postby BayouBob » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:14 pm

Cavalry Arms got into an argument with BATF over the outsourcing of some of their receiver production and the serial numbering process. BATF has the authority and the tendancy to issue opinions on procedure and legality and then change its mind and treat the entity acting under the original opinion as a criminal because BATF changed the rules in mid-game. CAV was almost ruined in the process even though no charges were ever filed against anyone. BATF of course, has had no comment and CAV just quit making the lowers. It sounds like some kind of consent decree was reached that forbade discourse but I am just speculating there. There were some rumors that another company was going to start producing the polymer lowers under a new name but I haven't seen anything yet. Interestingly, since they went out of production the price of the receivers hasn't gone up. Don't know if that speaks to the quality of the receivers or to the perception of them by the AR community. They made some limited runs in pink, purple, red, baby blue, yellow, and orange as well as brown, green and black. I'd love to find a red one. Mine fit and shoot just fine but I haven't tried one on a 450.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby the_mad_rshn » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:32 pm

Here is a link to a place that sells them for $130.

http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEquip ... ck/9231097

Cheers,
Mad
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:32 pm

:| ...sorry for the disconnect over the last month or so :? but it's been "plum crazy" down here since the BP blowout :roll: prolly gonna ruin the rest of the summer for my offshore fishing... I still think its gonna stay out of my yard though :shock:

8-) All my on-line research produced the same info reported here. ;)

:) I hope to be back up to speed soon 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby wildcatter » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:01 pm

I did wonder if you had fallen off the earth. That's a big area, down there, you'll find some place to fish and it'd better be a good'en, cause I'm coming down sooner than later. Good to have ya back..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby ryr8828 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:02 am

the_mad_rshn wrote:Here is a link to a place that sells them for $130.

Cheers,
Mad

I sent them an email asking a question and their response didn't make me feel good about their operation. I asked if they could send me the lower without the buttstock attached so I could make a pistol build. After 2 weeks the answer I got was

yes

That was it. Like a text from a kid. Maybe just a man of few words.
ryr8828

Postby the_mad_rshn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:57 pm

ryr8828 wrote:
the_mad_rshn wrote:Here is a link to a place that sells them for $130.

Cheers,
Mad

I sent them an email asking a question and their response didn't make me feel good about their operation. I asked if they could send me the lower without the buttstock attached so I could make a pistol build. After 2 weeks the answer I got was

yes

That was it. Like a text from a kid. Maybe just a man of few words.

Then maybe they could :-)
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby MarineThumper » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:42 pm

I have two Plum Crazy lowers, one under a 223 upper with a custom built adjustable stock and the other under my 450 upper. As someone stated earlier in this thread, everything internal on the lower is polymer. The only issue I have had with the lowers was due to charging the rifle with the safety on. If the hammer is forward and the safety is one, the trigger is not allowed to move when the hammer is pulled back, over time this starts to round off the hammer where it engages the trigger, which will cause a burst fire when letting up the trigger slowly. Since a federal judge lives close by, the day that I found out I immediately suspended my shoot, went inside and removed the trigger groups from both lowers. They have since been replaced with new trigger groups. Both the take down and pivot pins are polymer on the lowers and I have not noticed any sort of wear or distortion on either of the lowers.
MarineThumper

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles