Barrel/gas system length

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Barrel/gas system length

Postby wildcatter » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:03 pm

BD1 wrote:WC, have you had any issues with the presence of the unused port? My interest would be in going the other direction, locating a new port even closer to the receiver so the action would operate using 400 grainers at 1,050 fps. Once the second port is installed, it seems like it would be a pretty simple thing to switch back and forth as needed. Here in SC we are allowed to hunt with suppressors.
BD

Sub-Sonic.. Sho-Nuff BD, you can go closer, but port size becomes critical and there can be some slight problems, that can be overcomed by tweaking. I took some cheapie 500gr 458" SWC's and used something like a compressed load of 870, with a super-stout LeGendre Side Crimp, to get them to seal in the chamber, on a std length gas system and got things to function nicely and the speeds were slightly over 1000fps. With a port closer to the chamber, you might be able to use faster powders than 870 and thus seal the case better. Lemme know, I have a test jig, I made up, that will tell you where to locate the port and how big to make it, for any given loading. If ya need it I'll send it over. You'll need to get your load down pat and then decide where the port goes and how large it needs to be. But 400grainers with something like blue dot or maybe 2400, loaded down to 1050fps, those might just function the 16" system just fine, try it out and holler back..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BD1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Thanks WC, a jig would be mighty handy. I'll work on the load. I have some 860 I can play with, but in my experience with other calibers, low velocity/pressure loading with the real slow ball powders can be a pretty dirty affair, lots of soot and unburned grains to gum up the works. Also, extreme velocity changes as the temperature changes. I'm hoping for a load that will will burn 95% or above to keep the gas system and suppressor going as long as possible between cleanings.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:20 pm

BD1 wrote:Thanks WC, a jig would be mighty handy. I'll work on the load. I have some 860 I can play with, but in my experience with other calibers, low velocity/pressure loading with the real slow ball powders can be a pretty dirty affair, lots of soot and unburned grains to gum up the works. Also, extreme velocity changes as the temperature changes. I'm hoping for a load that will will burn 95% or above to keep the gas system and suppressor going as long as possible between cleanings.
BD

Yeah you're right. With those cast bullets, you've got allot to crimp into, A very-very heavy LeGendre Side Crimp goes along ways to cleaning the powder burn up..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby wildcatter » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:09 pm

I just got a question as to why the 450 Corvette.

It can be used to function factory "Plus" your experimental Hot Loads. Plus the Corvette smooths out the functionality of the 450 system, not that the 450b functions bad, no not at all, but we have seen some hic-ups right here, that the the Corvette system cures.

I wanted to say and point to this for future thinkers..

..t

NUFF SAID!!!!!
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:34 am

Just found this article that explains AR Gas System Lengths on the Texas Gun Forum. A very good discussion, I think -http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/33740/ar-gas-system-lengths-explained/.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:57 pm

Good Article.

Though it is a video promoting a piston system, This Video starts out with a simulation of the D.I. gas flow path to give newbies a mental image of what's going on inside.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles