Buffers.What are they and What do they Do?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Buffers.What are they and What do they Do?

Postby 9x19MdM » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:56 pm

commander faschisto wrote:You two are making my head hurt... :P

Me three!
9x19MdM

Postby Hoot » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:17 pm

Quite seriously though. Looking at the detriments as well as the attribues of the CCWS, it's got me wondering if a gas port move or adjustable gas block (which I have) would be a better choice. I don't think a heavier spring is the solution as it slams the bolt back all the more harder, adding stress to the cases and peening the barrel extension, bolt and cam pin. In retrospect, the heavier carrier while not pushing harder by virtue of the spring, still adds to wear and tear by virtue of momentum derived from the additional mass and it deadens the anti-bounce deadblow design within the buffer. Might be interesting to substitute a glued in mercury filled metal capsule instead of the solid lead slug. Hmmm.... Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby gunnut » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:33 pm

Some of the heavy buffers have a Tungston powder in them. Lead powder Might work safer and cheaper for testing. Very interesting idea there Hoot!
just don't know how you would get enough reactive mass in the carrier to do any good. Thoughts to ponder!! :idea:
gunnut

Postby gunnut » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:34 am

Hoot wrote:I'm confused Gunny. I pulled down both this trace and the one for your new proto-type in the other thread. I scaled them very closely and overlayed one on the other. The baseline graphs look like two different platforms. Perhaps a new one and one that has broken in more, or one dry and dirty and one cleaned and lubed. There appears to be both a different sampling rate and post sampling hardware and/or software filtering and/or simple averaging. While they mainly impact finer data range transitions, I was trying to reverse the graphical point coordinates and crunch them to sum the area of the positive pulses and the negative pulses to compare for an overall quality factor as well as the individual big events that are caught. It's all very cool technology to play with and draw conclusions from. Imagine what the big boys have at their disposal? I spent 15 years in Aerospace Test Engineering with random and linear vibe generators, transducers, environmental chambers, etc. We had to test and documented product performance (or failure) for Navy fighter jet computers, air to air missile computers and radar targeting computers for the 20mm Phalanx System and it was a ton of fun. Broke my heart to get "workforce reduced" after 15 years so the company could make a quarterly profit statement. They didn't last much longer though, but it was still stressful re-entering the labor market at age 42. Hoot yet again digresses.... :roll:

All that having been said, you don't need to crunch the raw data mathematically (though it would be nice) to visualize the change of period of the first recoil pulse due to the added weight in the bolt, or it's effect on bolt bounce as well as smaller nuance changes.

From your experience so far, is it more maddening to try and A) optimize each of the finite elements such as the brake, optimum carrier (or buffer) mass, buffer spring weight and active delay line stock individually for their impact upon recoil and then try to merge their characteristics, or to B) try them all lumped together and then optimize each one's characteristic for the ultimate good of the combined package's resulting trace, or is it more A) first, B) second, back to A) then B), etc?

Hoot

gunnut

Postby kottke_35 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:03 am

:shock: wow

Making my head hurt too. Thanks for all the info though!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby bigboreshooter » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Hoot wrote:Quite seriously though. Looking at the detriments as well as the attribues of the CCWS, it's got me wondering if a gas port move or adjustable gas block (which I have) would be a better choice. I don't think a heavier spring is the solution as it slams the bolt back all the more harder, adding stress to the cases and peening the barrel extension, bolt and cam pin. In retrospect, the heavier carrier while not pushing harder by virtue of the spring, still adds to wear and tear by virtue of momentum derived from the additional mass and it deadens the anti-bounce deadblow design within the buffer. Might be interesting to substitute a glued in mercury filled metal capsule instead of the solid lead slug. Hmmm.... [ http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/images/smilies/03.gif ]

Hoot

That's what the endine is for softens the return and still has plenty of impact for full lock up.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby gunnut » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:45 am

bigboreshooter wrote:
Hoot wrote:I don't have one to offer, but I'd sure like to see an Enidine Rifle buffer as compared to the stock A2 rifle buffer. Second would be one of those Wolf or equivalent XP springs compared to the stock A2 spring. I think they would be good additions to all the data we are fortunate to have access to.

Hoot

I have Enidine, stock and heavy weight buffers for carbine length. Plus stock spring and wolf heavy spring. Would be happy to send em in for the test. :D

Recieved. Enidine, stock and heavy weight buffers for carbine length. Plus stock spring and wolf heavy spring. The Enidine buffer looks very interesting.
gunnut

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:02 am

Whoa! Didn't get the memo on this one!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bigboreshooter » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:35 am

gunnut wrote:
bigboreshooter wrote:
Hoot wrote:I don't have one to offer, but I'd sure like to see an Enidine Rifle buffer as compared to the stock A2 rifle buffer. Second would be one of those Wolf or equivalent XP springs compared to the stock A2 spring. I think they would be good additions to all the data we are fortunate to have access to.

Hoot

I have Enidine, stock and heavy weight buffers for carbine length. Plus stock spring and wolf heavy spring. Would be happy to send em in for the test. :D

Recieved. Enidine, stock and heavy weight buffers for carbine length. Plus stock spring and wolf heavy spring. The Enidine buffer looks very interesting.

:D I'm looking forward to your findings.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby gunnut » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:59 am

May be a week or two. Local range is closed for remodeling. Need to find another place to shoot.
Any help out there? N.E. metro Atlanta area?
gunnut

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles