450 Bush Comps

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450 Bush Comps

Postby gunnut » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:18 pm

I would prefer to use the hornady factory loads. Just to keep everything the same as my recoil tests. And by the way, Everyone attending MUST shot my latest in recoil reduction! Your in for a treat!
gunnut

Postby gunnut » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:52 am

bushmeister wrote:Something to consider... Factory loads although more costly, might be the best option for testing, as there will be winners and losers in this testing, and those on the south side are likely to blame the load. I guess we need to see how many comps show up to see what kind of ammo cost will be associated with the testing.

wildcatter wrote:Ok, guys, now don't do this just for me, but is there a chance to hold off the date for a couple of weeks? Here's why. The NRA Show is on the 14th, 15th, and 16th. I've got to do the NRA Show and pick up a speed boat windshield in Florida and I've got a gig in Idaho all in the first part of May and I really want to hit the "Opening Day of Muzzle Brake Season".

I've got no problem delaying it a few weeks, but remember, it gets pretty warm down here in GA for you "thin blooded" types, once it gets half past June :D . As much time as I'm going to be in FL the next month, if you need windshield pick up, I might be able to save you about 10 hours of driving if it will fit in a suburban. PM or call me if I can help you.
I plan to hunt gobblers up there Saturday, and I'll go by the range and evaluate the benches and such to make sure all of that is adequate. It was in pretty good shape last year.

Thank's for taking the Point on this one!
gunnut

Postby gunnut » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:37 pm

Results of 450 Bushmaster Standard brake. "IZZY" Image
This is why Wildcatter was able to empty a clip into a 4" circle at 5yrds as fast as he could pull the trigger. Would be very handy for charging Bear!
Last edited by gunnut on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunnut

Postby gunnut » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:47 pm

And 450 Bushmaster Without brake. Image
gunnut

Postby wildcatter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:53 pm

This is really good work, but ya got to tell them what happened, that led in part to wanting to do this work on the brakes, you know something that I noticed and that now you have proven. Common, give'em the dirt..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby gunnut » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:06 pm

It’s like this. I love to shoot! Not much of a hunter. Nice to have these skill sets in the tool box. Here in Georgia I shoot mostly in a light shirt and I got fed up with my shoulder getting bruised and the headack after 20 rounds. I had to do something.

There are 2 recoils with every gun. 3 with auto loaders. The primary or 1st is the ignition of the round and the bullet traveling down the barrel. I had to develop a way to measure the recoil and document test results. It’s not enough to say it feels better. I’ve made great progress in this area! A little more refinement and I’ll give you a recoil reducer that’s twice as effective at half the cost as the ones available today.

This next will explain why Wildcatter was able to empty a clip into a 4" circule at 5yds as fast as he could pull the trigger!

The 2nd is the hot gasses accelerating the gun AFTER the bullet leaves the barrel. The gasses expand at over 4 times the muzzle velocity creating a rocket effect. This is where muzzle brakes come into play. The 1st ones on small arms were designed to reduce muzzle climb by redirecting the gasses up pushing down on the barrel and they work! The IZZY is a good example of this type. If you look at the Barrett 50bmg rifle that brake is designed to reduce recoil “ask anyone who stood to the side of one when fired” The gasses go out to the sides and back. The gun is heavy and well designed so that it doesn’t need to reduce muzzle climb just recoil.

This is where the muzzle brake tests come in They are a spin off of my primary. Member of this group want to find the most effective brake for THEIR needs. I’m looking for one that reduces recoil with just enough weight to balance the rifle with my reducers installed About 6 to 8oz.. Brakes have their draw backs. They increase the noise on the shooter. We will be looking at this as well as velocities. This is not a test to find the best. It’s a test to find the best for the shooters needs.

Future tests will be with the 3rd recoil. The bolt carrier, buffer and spring. We will have the raw data for the shooter to make an informed decision.

Sorry for being long winded.
gunnut

Postby wildcatter » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:00 am

Slight correction, I have shot repeated 4" Groups at 25yds not 5yds, Ops. Now this is as fast as anyone can rip them off too and I really mean Ripping the mag load as fast as it can be done, almost full-auto rate. The thing that kept sticking in my craw was, I was never able to do this with an un-compensated weapon before and the sights just would not leave the black of the target, while using Izzy. So, the question was to Gunny, wit dem dar new fangled toys of yours, check to see if the Izzy brake is holding down the barrel and the answer is an overwhelming YES, thanks to the Gunny-Nuts.

This is a sample of the kind of data we're going to churn up, with the coming Brake Tests..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby degoose » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:16 pm

This is great info & exactly what i had hoped for. Although took me a bit to fully understand the gaphs i think i got it now.
Update on my end so far of the several i have contacted only Black Weapons Armory has expressed any interest (or replied for that matter) of fabbing a muzzle brake for the .450. Sam there was going to check with the tech dept & get back to me on the price & if they can do it. Not sure if it will make it in time as he said there was @ least a 3 week lead time on custom orders, but if i miss the test & Gunny doesn't mind i'll send it to him after the fact if he want's to play with it (still waiting on my upper anyway). Also waiting on the POF, but plan to call them this week & see what's going on there... @ this point i think these 2 are all i'll be able to submit for the test. I had high hopes to contribute more, but doesn't seem to be working out like i had planned
degoose

Postby gunnut » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:22 pm

I want to say that I really appreciate those who are participating in this. These things are not cheep. But, They do work! Let's find out what works best for you! Here's a good read about brakes.http://chuckhawks.com/muzzle_brakes.htm

hummm. How to post a link that works?
Last edited by gunnut on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunnut

Postby MudBug » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:45 pm

http://chuckhawks.com/muzzle_brakes.htm

leave the http:// instead of replacing it with www.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles