anyone else here own a Beowulf 50 cal?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

anyone else here own a Beowulf 50 cal?

Postby anARchist » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:19 am

or am i the only fool who bought one? can't get ammo in any way, shape or form for months. unreal. i should have bought the 450
Last edited by anARchist on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anARchist

Re: anyone else here own a Beowulf 50 cal?

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Naw, your not the only one. With all due respect, its a great round. But like you said, its tough to get brass. Am I correct in that its a basic wssm cartridge with a rebated rim? If so, that might be one venue if your machine skills are up to it. Seems like a good drill press, a good machinist vise and some correctly modified tool steel would yeild a source of brass. Just a thought.
Mike

Postby wildcatter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:48 pm

anARchist wrote:or am i the onloy fool who bought one? can't get ammo in any way, shape for form form months. unreal. i should have bought the 450

You could always grovel over on ARfcom. Oh, wait! They hate the 450b over there. On only one source, ammoseek.com, and you can find hundreds of other sources on the net, there are fewer sources than I've ever seen, eight, in total, where-in its usually a couple of dozen. Oh well, the first of the month is just around the corner. Zero for the beowulf. Do you own a 450b now, we can help you get a barrel and get you shooting a real big bore, as opposed to admiring a boat anchor?

The wssm cases are to fat, there is no usable parent case, for the Beowulf or Socom..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby anARchist » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:23 pm

no i don't have a 450 yet. what is the wait time on one? also i live in new york so i don't think i can have the standard flash supressor that it looks like it comes with.
anARchist

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:26 pm

anARchist wrote:no i don't have a 450 yet. what is the wait time on one? also i live in new york so i don't think i can have the standard flash supressor that it looks like it comes with.

The Remington R-15 in .450 Bushmaster does not have a flash hider on an 18" barrel, nor is it threaded. It also comes in some nice camo patterns. :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:24 am

Starline was going to tool up to make brass, might check with them and see what the staus is.
Al in Mi

Postby Mike » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:13 am

Not to Highjack- but are you tellin me that the beuwold and socom are proprietary? That blows my mind, but it does explain why ya cant find it.
Mike

Postby thebrassnuckles » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:39 am

Mike wrote:Not to Highjack- but are you tellin me that the beuwold and socom are proprietary? That blows my mind, but it does explain why ya cant find it.

that is the reason I went with the 450, that and the sale....

before I got it the only "downfall" was that it used pistol caliber bullets. but now that I actually have it and am starting to understand the concept of operation, pistol caliber size is far greater than a rifle caliber, because, i can use cheap pistol cal bullets , i can use high velocity expansion pistol cal bullets, or i could possibly use big, slow, heavy, low velocity expansion hollow points for a sub-sonic round that will bring the thunder.. :twisted: , or i can resize rifle bullets ad use them for higher velocities.
thebrassnuckles

Postby wildcatter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:03 pm

thebrassnuckles wrote:
Mike wrote:Not to Highjack- but are you tellin me that the beuwold and socom are proprietary? That blows my mind, but it does explain why ya cant find it.

that is the reason I went with the 450, that and the sale....

before I got it the only "downfall" was that it used pistol caliber bullets. but now that I actually have it and am starting to understand the concept of operation, pistol caliber size is far greater than a rifle caliber, because, i can use cheap pistol cal bullets , i can use high velocity expansion pistol cal bullets, or i could possibly use big, slow, heavy, low velocity expansion hollow points for a sub-sonic round that will bring the thunder.. :twisted: , or i can resize rifle bullets ad use them for higher velocities.

That-ah-boy-nuckles. You just described the most versatile firearm ever and you swerved into my thinking when I invented the Big-Bore Craze. Those guys that think we are ham-strung with mere pistol bullets just don't have a clue, now do they? Using the 450b, some of those mere pistol bullets, are constructed so well, they have already taken elephant, cape buffalo, all of Africa's big five and everything on this continent, in spades. And has anybody on those other channels run the numbers on these mere pistol bullets? Nope, they just want to bad mouth your decision. But then again, it is far cheaper to justify a bad, ignorant, expensive decision, than to recognize a better mouse trap.

They claim that we are only close to the 45-70, which in our factory fodder, is only slightly true, in truth we've a slight edge, but now consider this. We have more barrel steel surrounding our cartridge and are using Modern day, High Pressure, Rifle cases, wherein those other big bore AR's are relegated to pistol pressures because they really are using a pistol cartridge, plus they have to keep the pressures down, because they have taken too much barrel steel out of their chambers (imo) to accommodate their fat, low pressure, pistol case. And in the case of the beowulf, it really does use pistol bullets. In fairness, they have come up with quality custom bullets (all 6 or 8 of them), that will perform at their speeds, but at what price and how available are they really, does this additional observation get us back to anARchist's original thesis and further describes the problems associated with the other big bore AR's that anARchist is concerned about?

So, let's run the numbers on what is already possible and see if we can't come up with some conclusions for anARchist and add to Nuckles data bank. For the Nay-Sayers, yes I'm speaking in generalities and won't quote sources, this ain't a book and the KISS principle applies.

We have guys that have run our 230gr FMJ's at 2800fps, right? That's a good pistol bullet, that at the right speeds will Swiss Cheese anything on the planet and slam it down HARD. At 2800fps, that's 3855 Ft/Lb energy.

The Factory Loading 500gr-RN 458 Winchester Magnum (THAT'S RIGHT I DARE TO COMPARE!!) out of a 20" Barrel (all the numbers you normally see for the 458wm are for 24"-26" barrels. Quoted speeds from a 26" barrel are 2192fps) is less than 1850fps, on my chronograph. At 1850fps the 458wm factory 500gr from a 20" barrel displays 3697 Ft/Lb energy.

So, what we've got is, 150+ Ft/Lb on the 458 Win Mag?? Go figure it out for yourself, and we've got about 150 bullets to choose from, that WILL absolutely, resoundingly, accomplish, every single mission you point them at and a 150+ foot-pounds-energy more than the old venerable 458 Winchester Magnum (Yup, I said it again!!) if you need that much and we can't even get a FAQ section over on the Beowulf/Socom-R-Us channel..

Guess this tells you who the pioneer's really are, that would be you.

Lets see if we can get the anARchist a barrel and get him up and running with the Big Dogs!!

Thanks Brassnuckles for suggesting all this..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby gunnut » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Don't forget that you can use the winchester 284. parent case to make your own brass!! :o , But, Then you would have to use Large rifle primers. ;)
Let's see! over 150 pistol bullets, + resized rifle bullets, Make your own brass, large or small primers. Sounds pretty versitile to me!
gunnut

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles