Can the MOE handguard be used on the 16" .450 upper

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Can the MOE handguard be used on the 16" .450 upper

Postby firehawk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:42 pm

I haven't bought the upper yet but would like to know if it is possible to fit the Magpul MOE carbine handguard on the 16" .450 upper? Just not a big fan of the aluminum handguard that is on the .450 uppers. My other 2 AR's have the MOE handguard, and I'd like to keep them configured all the same.

I assume I will have to get a delta ring, spring washer, and handguard cap. Is the gas block pinned on the .450 uppers, or does it use set screws? I appreciate any information anyone here can provide about the switch.
firehawk

Re: Can the MOE handguard be used on the 16" .450 upper

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:14 am

From just my experiences with the 20", the gas blocks are set screw, but I think the 16" uses a different style block. I'm not positive, but I think it's also a set screw. You might have noticed that I referred to the 20" gas blocks in plural. There are two gas blocks on the 20". One under the hand guard, (the active one), and one just outside the handgaurd which is inactive. Lots of theories abound on this anomaly, and I will let the "gurus" explain the possibilities that open up if you own a 20". Wildcatter, is our highest authority. He is the King Julien and we are just the lemurs.
Yeah, this marks my 1100th post. Hot Coffee!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby firehawk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:21 am

Just guessing, but could the reason the active gas block is under the handguard on the 20" is used because the action cycles better with a carbine length gas system? Or Bushmaster just uses the same jig to drill the 16" and 20" barrels?

I appreciate your input and hopefully Wildcatter will chime in here. I really would like to use the MOE handguard if it is possible.
firehawk

Postby 9x19MdM » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:19 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:From just my experiences with the 20", the gas blocks are set screw, but I think the 16" uses a different style block. I'm not positive, but I think it's also a set screw. You might have noticed that I referred to the 20" gas blocks in plural. There are two gas blocks on the 20". One under the hand guard, (the active one), and one just outside the handgaurd which is inactive. Lots of theories abound on this anomaly, and I will let the "gurus" explain the possibilities that open up if you own a 20". Wildcatter, is our highest authority. He is the King Julien and we are just the lemurs.

Thanks for the explanation! I saw a post a few days and someone called it the "faux gas block".

Wouldn't you need to un-float the system in order to get the MOE to attach?
9x19MdM

Postby firehawk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:01 am

9x19MdM wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:From just my experiences with the 20", the gas blocks are set screw, but I think the 16" uses a different style block. I'm not positive, but I think it's also a set screw. You might have noticed that I referred to the 20" gas blocks in plural. There are two gas blocks on the 20". One under the hand guard, (the active one), and one just outside the handgaurd which is inactive. Lots of theories abound on this anomaly, and I will let the "gurus" explain the possibilities that open up if you own a 20". Wildcatter, is our highest authority. He is the King Julien and we are just the lemurs.

Thanks for the explanation! I saw a post a few days and someone called it the "faux gas block".

Wouldn't you need to un-float the system in order to get the MOE to attach?

I suppose you would have to "unfloat" the handguard going with the MOE handguard. Is it really necessary for the handguard to float? Neither of my other AR's do.
firehawk

Postby Colohunter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:43 pm

"Unfloating" the barrel could reduce accuracy. Most of us here have been getting amazing groups with our 450s, even with factory ammo. It's hard to guess how much it would affect accuracy, it may not be very noticible, or it could be disappointing.

I'd suggest trying the factory handguard for awhile, I actually have camo tape on mine right now to make it a little more comfortable to hold in the winter.
Colohunter

Postby 9x19MdM » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:00 pm

Colohunter wrote:
I'd suggest trying the factory handguard for awhile, I actually have camo tape on mine right now to make it a little more comfortable to hold in the winter.

I'm thinking about trying to put strips of a motorcycle inner tube over mine, like the ranger band idea around the mags.
9x19MdM

Postby Ghost Dog » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:23 pm

+1 on the camo tape, once it gets cold I wrap them up, come summer they go nakey. :oops: McNett works pretty good.

Type of hand gaurd is a personnel choice depending on it's intended use. I do believe free floating is the way to go for an AR.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2010/09/23/new_products_rs_floatfree_200804/

I go night hunting for coyotes, so some day I need to change the tube to a quad rail to hang more lights.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby BayouBob » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:49 pm

Try one of the neoprene sleeves made for a Maglite as an overwrap for the aluminum tube handguard on Thumper. I makes it very comfortable to grip hot or cold. You may have to cut one end of the neoprene sleeve but they are lock stitched together so it won't come un-raveled.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby MudBug » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:01 am

Replace the stock hand guard with a hand guard that has rails you can put the plastic rail guards on.

I did it with mine but I just put on rail ladders instead of full covers.

Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles