Can the MOE handguard be used on the 16" .450 upper

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Can the MOE handguard be used on the 16" .450 upper

Postby bigboreshooter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Yes hogue is the one I just found it in my favorites on my other computer. Sorry about that thanks Billy. :mrgreen:
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby firehawk » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:46 pm

Well I guess I'm the test dummy for the MOE handguard install. :mrgreen: I've got the barrel nut, delta ring package, and front cap coming from Bravo, and an action block coming from Bushmaster. I went out and bought a strap wrench, and barrel wrench/tool today locally. I've already got the MOE handguard from the upper I sold to buy this one.

The parts are on the way from Bravo, not real sure how shipping is from Bushmaster, but once all this gets here I'll be doing the swap.

I know some have brought up possible effects on accuracy. I'm no expert but IMO with the diameter of the barrel, (not M4 profile) and the fact my hunting spots are all 100 yard max areas I just can't believe and hope I'll see no negative effects. Guess if I do, as much as I'd hate it I'll swap it back.
firehawk

Postby bigboreshooter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 am

How goes the install fire hawk.
bigboreshooter

Postby firehawk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:59 am

bigboreshooter wrote:How goes the install fire hawk.

Whoops sorry. I'm at work right now. I'll post up a pic this evening.

Everything went smooth, no problems doing the swap. Looks more better IMO! :mrgreen:
firehawk

Postby firehawk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:04 pm

Ok, here's a picture of the finished product complete with MOE handguard, Sig 556 mag, and new scope and mount.

Much happier with the way it "feels", and the MOE has a DD snap lock sling swivel mount on the side so I can use my 2 point sling. I was going to get out and resight it in this weekend, but found out late last week I'm off to Lima, Peru Sunday or Monday for two weeks.
firehawk

Postby bigboreshooter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:03 pm

looks good. have fun in lima.
bigboreshooter

Postby firehawk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:29 pm

To answer the last post, I never made it to Lima, Peru. Two days before I was to leave I was told by a doctor my gall bladder HAD to come out. Been kind of sore the past week or so.

So.... anyway I finally felt good enough today to get the 450 out and shoot it with the changes I had made, Wolff power spring, handguard, scope mount and scope. Didn't have the time to try the other muzzle brakes I was sent to try, I'll get to that hopefully next weekend. It took 4 shots to get the scope dialed in, and the other 6 were within a 2" circle at about 40-45 yards or so. Apparently the non free floating MOE handguard made no difference as far as accuracy. I'll push the yardage out next time and see if that holds true at farther distances. I totally forgot I had swapped out the buffer spring with a Wolff power spring until I had got home. :roll: Obviously the upper cycled perfect with it, no short stroking, etc...

I snagged a piece of scrap 1/4" hot rolled steel plate from work. Going to see if the 450 will punch holes in it at 75-100 yards for no other reason than just s**ts and giggles. :mrgreen:
firehawk

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:09 pm

firehawk...you might check previous posts and pics from Texas Sheepdawg...he's on a personal mission to assault steel plates with the 450b... :)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby firehawk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:14 pm

commander faschisto wrote:firehawk...you might check previous posts and pics from Texas Sheepdawg...he's on a personal mission to assault steel plates with the 450b... :)

I watched one of his videos on youtube where he had shot at a piece of steel. He punched holes in it but I didn't hear what the yardage was. I also didn't hear what type of steel he was shooting at. Hot rolled is tougher than cold rolled steel. We shall see..... :mrgreen:
firehawk

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles