Buffer and spring change needed with .450?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Buffer and spring change needed with .450?

Postby 9x19MdM » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:14 pm

So I'm building a stripped lower, to be dedicated to the 450, and came across a great deal on an Ace Entry Stock, Length 7.25". L.O.P.=10.45" (due to ship on tomorrow). The seller had an extra spring he's including but I'm needing a buffer. Is a 3 oz carbine buffer what I need to be looking for or since I'm shopping, get something that is a little more recoil friendly?
9x19MdM

Postby Siringo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:00 am

My recommendation is an H2 or and H3. I run an H3. It weighs about 5 oz, which is close to the rifle buffer. The 3 oz will work OK as long as you stay with 250 grain factory loads. If you use heavier slower bullets, it is best to lock the action up longer to allow the pressure to subside before the action starts to open.

In fact, I went out this afternoon to the range and shot some Remington 405's over 27 grains of LG. Not only do I run the 5 oz buffer, but I also add the Tubbs weighted carrier system, so I am running 8.5 oz total. Everything runs fine and it was "0" degrees today :o .

Another benefit to running a heavy buffer is the chambering action is slowed up too. I did some tests a couple of years ago regarding bullet jump during chambering. Using a 3.0 oz (or was it 2.8) buffer, the bullets jump 0.005 to 0.006 inches. I cut this in half when I went to the heavy buffers.

Go to "www.heavybuffers.com"
Siringo

Postby Jlocutes » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:16 pm

OK I have a 450 bushmaster pistol 7 1/2 inch barrel has a shockwave brace on it .If I’m not mistaking it has H2 heavy buffer with a heavier spring that’s the way I purchased it..The first issue I have is with the boat open lock back inserting a magazine it seems like the mag catch grabs around and tilted straight up I have the correct magazines for it... then I bought a couple standard 20 rounders and put the blue followers in it does seem to operate a little better.The other issue I have is that one fire in the pistol a majority the time I have to manually charge the weapon for it to load the round which to me would be a failure to feed ..it fires around both cycles back closes but it does not load the next round I have to manually rack the bolt...I’m using standard 250 grain ammo is the hornday black....
Attachments
C99B89BF-28E2-4BB1-AF4C-1C0D5545618E.jpeg
C99B89BF-28E2-4BB1-AF4C-1C0D5545618E.jpeg (61.62 KiB) Viewed 11921 times
Jlocutes

Postby Jlocutes » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:19 pm

Short video ok maybe not say extension mov not allowed any ideas on how to load it
Jlocutes

Postby Jlocutes » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:32 pm

https://youtu.be/z8_IDBBAIwQ

Let’s see if this works
Jlocutes

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:40 pm

Once again.
When Timothy engineered the 450 bushmaster cartridge, he did it with the A.R. 15 mill spec rifle buffers and springs in mind. I’ve had long conversations in the past with Tim (RIP) on this exact issue. You don’t need anything fancy or different. Rifle springs for rifles carbine springs for carbines. Rifle buffers for rifle. Carbine buffers for carbines. Now then, are there higher quality mill spec products? Absolutely. And there’s nothing wrong with trying them. My advice is JP springs and buffers or the captured spring and buffers. But the fancy stuff is not needed. You’re more than welcome to experiment, God knows I’m one of them. But don’t spend the money, unless you absolutely have to. The one thing that I would definitely recommend to anyone who shoots any type of AR platform, including the 450 bushmaster would be to buy the JP buffer springs that are polished. They are available in two different sizes. Rifle springs, and buffer springs. They have a unique design and they are polished out to where they run really smooth. They run about $18 a piece. Other than that, if it works don’t fix it.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:29 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Once again.
When Timothy engineered the 450 bushmaster cartridge, he did it with the A.R. 15 mill spec rifle buffers and springs in mind. I’ve had long conversations in the past with Tim (RIP) on this exact issue. You don’t need anything fancy or different. Rifle springs for rifles carbine springs for carbines. Rifle buffers for rifle. Carbine buffers for carbines. Now then, are there higher quality mill spec products? Absolutely. And there’s nothing wrong with trying them. My advice is JP springs and buffers or the captured spring and buffers. But the fancy stuff is not needed. You’re more than welcome to experiment, God knows I’m one of them. But don’t spend the money, unless you absolutely have to. The one thing that I would definitely recommend to anyone who shoots any type of AR platform, including the 450 bushmaster would be to buy the JP buffer springs that are polished. They are available in two different sizes. Rifle springs, and buffer springs. They have a unique design and they are polished out to where they run really smooth. They run about $18 a piece. Other than that, if it works don’t fix it.

+1

Standard rifle spring and buffer with rifle stocks is all I've ever used though admittedly, the weighted bolt carrier is easier on your brass. While that equates to a heavier buffer in terms of weight, IMHO in the case of a buffer the added weight is in the wrong place. S/B further forward. This is my opinion, not the gospel according to Hoot.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:30 am

Hoot wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Once again.

+1

Standard rifle spring and buffer with rifle stocks is all I've ever used though admittedly, the weighted bolt carrier is easier on your brass. While that equates to a heavier buffer in terms of weight, IMHO in the case of a buffer the added weight is in the wrong place. S/B further forward. This is my opinion, not the gospel according to Hoot.

And this has merit as well especially if you reload. There are legitimate improvements to mill spec. I for one would be a hypocrite to tell you to only use mill spec. The stock for my 450 bushmaster in the AR platform is anything but stock and has a heavy buffer plus the stock itself is a John Noonan recoilless stock. If you’re interested in that stock, go look for the thread, “Recoil and what to do about it”. That stock and buffer system included a heavy weighted rifle buffer. But the spring was still mill spec. The only change I made after that was upgrading to the JP rifle buffer spring. My Libertas 6.5 Grendel has a special buffer and JP spring. But that’s because when I rebuilt the rifle for the third time with the new 18 inch Satern barrel, I installed an adjustable gas block so that in the future I could run a can.
I’m not saying that it’s not recommended to upgrade your buffer and spring. I’m just saying for those of you who don’t like to tinker and are not having any problems, that you do not have to change anything if you don’t want to. And remember sometimes the more trinkets you add, the more symptoms you have to chase if you start having problems.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Ruckus43082 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:48 pm

Jlocutes wrote:OK I have a 450 bushmaster pistol 7 1/2 inch barrel has a shockwave brace on it .If I’m not mistaking it has H2 heavy buffer with a heavier spring that’s the way I purchased it..The first issue I have is with the boat open lock back inserting a magazine it seems like the mag catch grabs around and tilted straight up I have the correct magazines for it... then I bought a couple standard 20 rounders and put the blue followers in it does seem to operate a little better.The other issue I have is that one fire in the pistol a majority the time I have to manually charge the weapon for it to load the round which to me would be a failure to feed ..it fires around both cycles back closes but it does not load the next round I have to manually rack the bolt...I’m using standard 250 grain ammo is the hornday black....

Sounds like it's short stroking, I had my 6.8spc do that when it was new. I was using a stock strength spring and tungsten powder buffer (stock weight) so my issue was fixed with just oiling up the buffer tube a little better and shooting until it broke in. Yours sounds like it's short stroking because of the spring and/or buffer, but I'd still start with extra oil in the tube and see if anything changes before changing anything out. Sprinco blue enhanced strength springs were supposed to be fine for 6.8 but never had a rifle run as good with them as they did with the white stock carbine strength springs, so white is all I run in everything now.
Ruckus43082

Postby s4s4u » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:07 pm

Ruckus43082 wrote:
Jlocutes wrote:OK I have a 450 bushmaster pistol 7 1/2 inch barrel has a shockwave brace on it .If I’m not mistaking it has H2 heavy buffer with a heavier spring that’s the way I purchased it..The first issue I have is with the boat open lock back inserting a magazine it seems like the mag catch grabs around and tilted straight up I have the correct magazines for it... then I bought a couple standard 20 rounders and put the blue followers in it does seem to operate a little better.The other issue I have is that one fire in the pistol a majority the time I have to manually charge the weapon for it to load the round which to me would be a failure to feed ..it fires around both cycles back closes but it does not load the next round I have to manually rack the bolt...I’m using standard 250 grain ammo is the hornday black....

Sounds like it's short stroking, I had my 6.8spc do that when it was new. I was using a stock strength spring and tungsten powder buffer (stock weight) so my issue was fixed with just oiling up the buffer tube a little better and shooting until it broke in. Yours sounds like it's short stroking because of the spring and/or buffer, but I'd still start with extra oil in the tube and see if anything changes before changing anything out. Sprinco blue enhanced strength springs were supposed to be fine for 6.8 but never had a rifle run as good with them as they did with the white stock carbine strength springs, so white is all I run in everything now.

All good info. The original poster hasn't visited in over a year so maybe he got it worked out :lol:
s4s4u

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles