Buffer and spring change needed with .450?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Buffer and spring change needed with .450?

Postby wildcatter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:25 am

firehawk wrote:Currently I have a standard carbine buffer spring but do have a Spikes powdered tungsten (ST1) buffer in the lower I have my 5.56 upper on. This is the lower I plan on using with the .450 upper, at least for now. Any problems with using this buffer and spring? Is the .450 BCG heavier than a 5.56 BCG?

If I decide on building a dedicated lower for the .450 is there a better buffer/spring set up?

As Tex has said, this system of ours, I designed to function with Standard GI parts in mind. By Switching up the parts, you could improve things, or induce FTF's, Short-Stroking, or over-work the action and thereby, inducing parts breakage.

I understand Experimenting, believe me, and that Range trip is the only way to find out, but if the consequences are bad, no need to blame no-one but yourself. But on the Sunny-Side, you could, to this experimenting real quick and enter the story on our Contest Thread..like.."There I was, up on the 500yd like, when a Mushroom Cloud came out of the ejection-port"!!..Get it?

Have fun and tell us about anyway..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:46 pm

I just built a dedicated lower for my 450 upper and used a DPMS buffer assembly for the AR 223 carbine with a collapsible stock. They make two, one for the 308 and one for the 223; the 223 is the one you want (I confirmed it by phone). The link is http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=6049.

Before I built my lower, I shot the 20" 450 upper with my stock BM XM15 2ES lower with no problems.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby firehawk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:04 pm

Well today I sold the .22 upper I had so the .450 upper will be going on the DPMS lower I had. The buffer and spring in that lower are standard DPMS carbine parts. Am I correct in saying it seems that to some here by using the heavier Spikes buffer, it could cause cycling problems? Am I reading it right?

I'm not meaning to question anyone here. Obviously you all have far more knowledge to do with the .450 than I do. I'm just curious as to why a heavier buffer that did actually smooth out the recoil on my 5.56 wouldn't possible do the same with the .450?

Inquiring minds need to know! :mrgreen:
firehawk

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:32 pm

I'm using the DPMS A2 buffer tube, buffer and spring. No issues..
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Ghost Dog » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:22 pm

I've been using a Spike's heavy buffer in my M4 lower with no issues, either on Thumper or my 5.56. I use a regular buffer in my A1 lower with no issues.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:15 pm

This is all you need. If you are using the A2 tube,

If you're using the carbine stock, spring and buffer, that's fine too.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bigboreshooter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:25 pm

I am using the endine hydraulic buffer with wolf heavy spring (carbine). I really like the way it feels. I tried heavy spring and heavy buffer at first(hoping weight would lessen recoil, but opposite happened. It slammed home to hard. Reg weight buffer and heavy spring was also very slappy. In the end the endine absorbs initial unlock, heavy spring slows rearward travel, speeds up return and endine absorbs lockup energy. But that's just my opinion.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby kottke_35 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:32 pm

I think big bore is on to something there. The beauty of this system is you can change things, if you don't like it or it don't work, change it again. I kind of think that if it ain't broke don't break it.

And where has gunnut been? He needs to get into this recoil talk here. ;)

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:56 pm

I talked to gunny right before Christmas and he is pretty busy wrapping up his work for the year and getting some stocks ready for customers. He's also had a few PC issues, but I think he got those resolved. He has a new A2 stock design he's working on for me to play with. As soon as I get it, I will give yawl a range report.
As for Bigbores report on the Enidine, that's some really good information! I might just have to reconsider a test on that using Gunnys stocks and Ross Schulers' brake.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gunnut » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:30 am

I have not tested buffers & springs yet. I would like to point out that the primary function of the buffer is to act as a dead blow hammer so that when the bolt lockes into battery it stays there and does not bounce out due to metal to metal contact, not to reduce the 3rd recoil. The primary and secondary recoil have already passed before these come into play. Changing the buffer weight will effect the bolt lock up. I am using a military carrier "heavier"with standard rifle buffer and spring. A lot of time was spent getting this right. I have no reliablity issues when using factory ammo.
gunnut

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles