Trident Armory

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Trident Armory

Postby Siringo » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:12 pm

Anyone know much about Trident Armory. Was cruising the internet and saw that they are offering custom 450B uppers and sell ammo labeled as (+p). 300 grain bullet at 2400 fps and also some mention of a 45 caliber bullet (weight unknown) at 2500 fps. All out of a 17.75" barrel.
Siringo

Re: Trident Armory

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:17 am

I like the way they avoid mentioning Olympic Arms anywhere in their 300 OSSM product description. I do however applaud them taking the 22" barrel it normally comes with and re-cutting the chamber for accuracy. Mine was loose as a goose with way too much freebore.

I can't believe they've been selling the +P 450 Bushmaster for over a year and no one from here ever noticed. I can't imagine what the bolt is made from, that it can withstand pushing a 300gr bullet at 2500 fps, out of a 17.5 inch barrel, for very long. "...Speeds that would ruin a mil spec rifle."

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 9x19MdM » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:39 am

9x19MdM

Postby ryr8828 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:17 am

I'll be interested to see what wildcatter thinks of a +p .450 cartridge.
ryr8828

Postby Siringo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:22 am

Hoot wrote:I like the way they avoid mentioning Olympic Arms anywhere in their 300 OSSM product description. I do however applaud them taking the 22" barrel it normally comes with and re-cutting the chamber for accuracy. Mine was loose as a goose with way too much freebore.

I can't believe they've been selling the +P 450 Bushmaster for over a year and no one from here ever noticed. I can't imagine what the bolt is made from, that it can withstand pushing a 300gr bullet at 2500 fps, out of a 17.5 inch barrel, for very long. "...Speeds that would ruin a mil spec rifle."

Hoot
Curious as to how they are using a dust cover on the receiver for the OSSM. They state that the order these from the manufacture and rechamber (an already loose chamber).

Only bolt I ever saw that would work for an AR15 in .308 head size was from AR15 Performance. As far as the 300 gr. at 2500 fps ----- pressures got to be up above 100000+ psi. WELL we all know what it can be DONE ONCE!!!!
Siringo

Postby Hoot » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:08 pm

Siringo wrote:Curious as to how they are using a dust cover on the receiver for the OSSM. They state that the order these from the manufacture and rechamber (an already loose chamber).

Only bolt I ever saw that would work for an AR15 in .308 head size was from AR15 Performance. As far as the 300 gr. at 2500 fps ----- pressures got to be up above 100000+ psi. WELL we all know what it can be DONE ONCE!!!!

My guess is they buy the upper from Olympic for their unique bolt, carrier and barrel extension, then make their own barrel to fit it. At first I thought that perhaps they were cutting two inches off the chamber end, re-threading it for the extension and re-cutting the chamber. Then it occurred to me they'd wind up with a gas port two inches closer. So your guess is as good as mine. Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:42 pm

ryr8828 wrote:I'll be interested to see what wildcatter thinks of a +p .450 cartridge.

I keep trying to tell you guys, that the Hornady Sammi spec is a light load. That using our carbine length gas port as a stop, you can, with normal safety procedures in mind, run the loads up until the load starts short-stroking or the rims are try to be ripped off by the extractor, which only means that the action is now opening to soon for the port location, not that the load was too hot. After you see this short stroking, the only way around that, is to relocate the port further out, something you shouldn't try, unless you've got the skills and tools. In the mean time, the standard gas port location, is the perfect regulator for you to recognize when you need to back off some, on the particular powder you're using..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Words of wisdom from WC that I, for one, will strictly adhere unto! I knew there was a lot of room to crank up the Hornady 250gr performance, or get good speeds out of a 275gr Barnes XPB with the existing gas port location. Its very clear that our chamber pressures are less of a concern than the risk of dismantling the rest of the weapon...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby BillytheKid » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:54 pm

So, the rifle length reporting you might be offering soon will allow us to shoot their +P ammo?
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:02 pm

Should that occur, I think I'll build a separate upper with the rifle-length port/block for shooting heavies.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles